What Song Did You Wish Rory Had Performed Live?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

What Song Did You Wish Rory Had Performed Live?

Postby capo » 07 Jun 2014, 18:09

Theres so many but I'll pick "Loose Talk", a great guitar riff song. Also in tribute to our namesake Forum!
capo

Re: What Song Did You Wish Rory Had Performed Live?

Postby Jay Jay » 07 Jun 2014, 18:13

capo wrote:Theres so many but I'll pick "Loose Talk", a great guitar riff song. Also in tribute to our namesake Forum!

Not sure Capo but I think there is one recorded version somewhere of Loose Talk live?

My choice would be " Wheels Within Wheels " acoustically live :)
Jay Jay

Postby Vincent » 07 Jun 2014, 18:35

Yes, Jay Jay, that one would be on top of my list too, together with "Easy come Easy go". By the way, I've been wondering if "Wheels within wheels" perhaps has been recorded on a 12-string? What do you people think?
Vincent

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jun 2014, 03:27

Wow, I could make quite a list, but for starters, most any of his acoustic stuff. Rory did Western Plain, and Alcohol, and some others, but some I would have loved to hear him play live, so I could watch him perform magic- Unmilitary Two-Step, Acoustic Ocean, Maybe I Will, Wheels Within Wheels, Seven Days, one I never heard him play but would have loved to hear, Hesitation Blues, Know You Rider, In The Pines (Where did you sleep last night), anything by Son House. Yes, Rory and his Martin.
RobertaSparrow

Postby woodeye2000 » 08 Jun 2014, 04:26

Acoustic Rory is awesome. Imagine him doing an entire set of specific selections, "unplugged" , ala Nirvana or Clapton. Songs would have new layers to them. Out on the Western Plain, will always be a favorite of mine, for personal as well as esoteric reasons. RobertaSparrow sure drops some serious Rory Gallagher knowledge on us. Many of you do. 'Preciate it! I feel like I barely know Rory Gallagher. There is a lot to explore. At one time, I actually thought I was the only RG fan on the West Coast.
woodeye2000

Postby capo » 08 Jun 2014, 06:07

Roberta. Go to Youtube and type in Rory Gallagher Seven Days Live(Texas 1985). I thought you had seen this before, if not enjoy. This was filmed a few days after I saw Rory live my one and only time. I have to learn how to put the link on here. Sorry.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jun 2014, 10:47

This clip? I absolutely love this clip! I don't know who did this one, but whomever it is, they are right off the side of the stage, and it's not a complete clip, but it is soooo intimate a view of Rory in his element. The sound is pretty good, and at one point Rory actually looks over toward the camera, I think perhaps he knows the person filming it.

And typical Rory, he isn't singing the original lyrics that he wrote, he's improvising. Who is he singing about? He motions to his hands in turn and sings, "'I put some whiskey on my left and on my right, it was 6 3 6 3 5 4, I was out of sight', he took the big razor, put it to his wrist, he said 'Rory I think I curse the day that you exist.'"

If anyone knows what Rory means, I'd love to know.

And then, he goes on to motion off to his right, near the camera taping him, and he motions over and says, "I was on the stage with B.B. King, you ought to see that man work those strings." And Rory has that smile on his face, makes me wonder if perhaps B.B. King might be offstage, and Rory is acknowledging him.

Then, there is his old faithful Martin guitar. People always go on about The Strat, but that old Martin of his was with him a long time also. It looks there like it is on its last legs, you can see duct tape, at least that is how it appears, around where the strap attaches. That was a beautiful sounding guitar. I think it sounded much better than the Takamine that he played later. But the Martin was probably showing its years of hard work by then.

Yes, I love that clip! It isn't very long, but it is so intriguing!

RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Jun 2014, 11:17

Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jun 2014, 16:17

I've heard Rory had the opportunity to be in The Last Waltz, but didn't want to disappoint the fans on his tour by cancelling to be there. I would have loved to have seen him in that movie- no one could have ignored him in that one! He'd have been great-

The Weight:

Take a load off Annie. Put the load right on me.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Madrid74 » 09 Jun 2014, 01:15

I don't know if this song was played live, up to now I haven't found any vid .

Madrid74

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome