Forum Topics: Lets Have Fun Again!

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Forum Topics: Lets Have Fun Again!

Postby capo » 07 Jun 2014, 17:35

First a confession. When I was young, from 1975 to 1978, KISS was my favorite group. I of course outgrew them , thank god, and discovered all the great music I still listen to. With all the news about KISS getting into the RNR Hall Of Fame made me a little nostalgic, and I found my self buying and reading their autobiographies and visiting the main KISS website, FAQ@KISS. They have thousands of members and about everyday there is 20 or so new threads and topics. And their fun as hell to read, real fan topics, about the music and great trivia only diehards love to get into and debate about. It gets hot, people get banned sometimes, but its always lively. We need to do this.
I don't mean to 'dumb down', but recent longwinded posts on clinical depression and other non musical posts have become tedious and boring. So at the risk of being accused of being anti-intellectual and a simpleton, heres some topics we could post. We have a long history here so I may be repeating some old threads but anyway: Top 10 fave Rory songs, Top 10 fave solos, Top 10 fave boots, Worst Rory Album, Worst Rory song, Best Rory cover song, Fave album cover, Fave Rory concert photo (post It) What Rory song did he never do live you wished he had, fave opening line of a Rory song, favorite Rory video and why, his best drummer, Fave acoustic song. I think you get the idea. Also, we have 1200 members but only a handful ever post. We need new blood. Maybe topics that are easy to post and share can get more people posting. Anyway, hope this is taken in the right spirit. Lets Rock And Roll All Nite And Party Everyday!
capo

Re: Forum Topics: Lets Have Fun Again!

Postby Jay Jay » 07 Jun 2014, 18:05

capo wrote:I don't mean to 'dumb down', but recent longwinded posts on clinical depression and other non musical posts have become tedious and boring. So at the risk of being accused of being anti-intellectual and a simpleton, heres some topics we could post. We have a long history here so I may be repeating some old threads but anyway: Top 10 fave Rory songs, Top 10 fave solos, Top 10 fave boots, Worst Rory Album, Worst Rory song, Best Rory cover song, Fave album cover, Fave Rory concert photo (post It) What Rory song did he never do live you wished he had, fave opening line of a Rory song, favorite Rory video and why, his best drummer, Fave acoustic song. I think you get the idea. Also, we have 1200 members but only a handful ever post. We need new blood. Maybe topics that are easy to post and share can get more people posting. Anyway, hope this is taken in the right spirit. Lets Rock And Roll All Nite And Party Everyday!

I totally agree with you Capo..
I could do with cheering up also, as I've come back from the Rory Fest and picked up a nasty virus to boot :roll:

Carry on as you desire, just don't put down all the topics at once maybe one a day..
Maybe starting with this one "What Rory song did he never do live you wished he had "
As I don't think we've asked this one before to the members here :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jun 2014, 11:12

I've mentioned it before, but my favorite Rory concert that I attended (one of them anyway) actually, I think they may have all been my favorites, but this is one of my more favorites :lol: was the one, ironically enough, at Long Beach Civic auditorium, where KISS (heck of a coincidence) opened for Rory- I had never seen them before, no one in my crowd had, and they were not my style. I immediately disliked the whole thing, the makeup, the huge mirrored sign above them that said "KISS," the whole vibe of their music. And, the audience hated them too. :lol: :lol: Well, consider, they were the opening act, followed by Fleetwood Mac, then Rory. That was a blues/rock crowd.

The audience got pretty restless listening to KISS, then they got loud, then they got downright hostile. When they were done, the audience booed them. Well, not all, they did have a little conclave of their loyal entourage cheering them on, most bands do, but it wasn't enough to cover that the majority of the audience wasn't impressed. I remember they left the stage, didn't get a call for an encore, and when their roadies came up to clear their stuff, they lowered the mirrored KISS sign again, and for a moment we all thought they were going to come back out. People actually started booing and throwing stuff toward the stage.

I never did warm up to KISS, and maybe that was why. First impressions and all. They sucked.

When Rory came out, he was amazing as always, he put on a blistering show. Played most of his show, had the audience on their feet. Then the sound system failed, Rory's crew tried to put things back in order, but they couldn't fix it. Undaunted, Rory did his acoustic set, just him and his Martin, then he got the mandolin, and did Going to My Hometown, just his strong voice and his playing, and filled the hall with music, courage, and passion. They couldn't fix the sound system, though, so, Rory motioned to the crowd apologetically, and said goodbye. But by then he had won the crowd over, we loved him, and he got a standing ovation anyway, he took what could have been a disaster and turned it into a victory.

He was always amazing, but I'll never forget that show. And I seldom think of KISS, but when I do, that is how I remember them. And they're in the R&RHoF.
RobertaSparrow

Postby jenniferj » 08 Jun 2014, 12:40

There is something inherently unfair about Rory not getting in to the R&R hall of fame - it absolutely sucks that a band that gets booed gets this kind of accolade. It makes you realise how meaningless these accolades are when someone like Rory gets ignored. He was a true music hero and troubadour.
Jennifer
jenniferj

Postby capo » 08 Jun 2014, 13:07

Roberta. Would you like to relive your first KISS concert? Go to Youtube and type in KISS Master Tapes Long Beach Concert 1974 Rare! This is funny. My Kiss book says it was sold out, 4000 of you, and that Fleetwood Mac, who was also on the show, cancelled. Feb. 17, 1974. As a aside, Kiss opened for Rory on April 1st, 1974 at the Agora in Cleveland, and according to the story Peter Criss, the drummer, passed out from too much dry ice effects at the end of the show and, lol, Rory's people refused to let him recover in Rory's dressing room! Ha! Anyway, watch the tape Roberta, are you sure your not down front headbanging away? Just wondering!
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jun 2014, 13:11

capo wrote:Roberta. Would you like to relive your first KISS concert? Go to Youtube and type in KISS Master Tapes Long Beach Concert 1974 Rare! This is funny. My Kiss book says it was sold out, 4000 of you, and that Fleetwood Mac, who was also on the show, cancelled. Feb. 17, 1974. As a aside, Kiss opened for Rory on April 1st, 1974 at the Agora in Cleveland, and according to the story Peter Criss, the drummer, passed out from too much dry ice effects at the end of the show and, lol, Rory's people refused to let him recover in Rory's dressing room! Ha! Anyway, watch the tape Roberta, are you sure your not down front headbanging away? Just wondering!

Well, Fleetwood Mac didn't really cancel, exactly. Some guys showed up that were at one time or another in Fleetwood Mac, or had sessioned for them, or something, but there were a bunch of guys showed up calling themselves Fleetwood Mac, I remember they were offering full refunds to Mac fans who wanted to see the real thing, but they didn't get many takers, we were there for Rory! :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Jun 2014, 14:24

capo wrote:we have 1200 members but only a handful ever post. We need new blood. Maybe topics that are easy to post and share can get more people posting. Anyway, hope this is taken in the right spirit. Lets Rock And Roll All Nite And Party Everyday!

Like Capo says here and I think Rory would agree also..

Hands Up Rory.jpg

Hands Up and smile like Rory, for those who want more..
FUN ON THE RORY FORUM?

Rock On For Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby Annie Elliott » 11 Jun 2014, 22:20

Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby capo » 12 Jun 2014, 17:16

Dear Annie, let me say firstly that I am, actually, quite intellectually curious about the world I live in and truthfully, I read your post TWICE on depression and found it really informative ( and not boring at all). What I meant was, in trying to get new people to post here, maybe they are put off or afraid to post because lately we have gone off on topics far afield from Rory and his music. Please believe me I meant no disrespect. I wish I could have Rory dreams like you and others have. Strange, for someone like me who Rory is a main interest and on my mind a lot, I never have dreams about him. Wish I could, because it would bring him back alive, at least for a instant. Anyway, Peace to you. Joe.
capo

Postby Annie Elliott » 13 Jun 2014, 08:57

Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome