Those of us Who Met Rory.. Please do Tell . . .

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Those of us Who Met Rory.. Please do Tell . . .

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 May 2014, 03:23

Hey- I'll Get The Hang of This Moderator Thing Yet-

Capo suggested this ought to be its own thread- so now it's set apart- Do Tell!

-----------

On this eve of the Ballyshannon Party for Rory (and a week to go before the same in Cork)

For those who met Rory, got to share a few words with him, if you would like to share, we'd like to hear it-

I never actually met him, saw him play a bunch of times, I like to think he saw me (but he did seem to look right into his audience, so maybe he did :) ) but I never had a chance to speak to him, and if I had, I don't think I could have formed intelligible sentences anyway . . . .

But those of you who did, do tell-

What was it like to meet the man?

P.S.

Photofinish, you as well, please tell us about how you first met Rory-
RobertaSparrow

Re: Those of us who met Rory, do tell . . .

Postby folkdeejay » 29 May 2014, 12:08

I met Rory in Manchester during the Defender tour.

After the gig, at the long-gone International II, he signed all my RG vinyl LP sleeves. I had seen him a good number of times already, and he played a great gig - quite 'heavy' in tone, as per the Defender LP. It was the first time I saw him play a cutaway acoustic (Takamine) and I asked him about it, he explained his old Martin was a bit beat up, and he was trying the Takamine out and liked it.

He signed all my LP sleeves (which I took along in a plastic bag) including all his solo stuff up to & including Defender, and all the Taste Polydor LP's - even the compilation that was a bit controversial as they were the Taste Mk1 recordings (Take it easy baby ).

He was quiet, but friendly and engaging. A legend.

Also shook his hand during a 1982 gig at the Apollo (but he was a bit busy then as it was during the encore)
folkdeejay

Postby photofinish » 29 May 2014, 18:43

First met him at York University..20/11/1981...went before gig..he signed all my albums...i have 2 framed on the wall...i met Rory another 10 times...and got to know him quite well...the highlight being having a drink with Rory after been invited backstage by him at Leeds Irish Centre..thats my pic on my avatar...when i get more time..will post some more stories about my times with Rory...
photofinish

Postby jenniferj » 02 Jun 2014, 01:33

I love hearing these stories - for those who never had the privilege of meeting Rory, its like being there with you when you talk about your experiences. Keep them coming...
Jennifer.
jenniferj

Postby photofinish » 02 Jun 2014, 17:17

When i get chance will post my fav Rory story from Jinx Tour...regarding Rory's love for Laurel And Hardy.......and all because i made a mistake in the tape

i gave him.....!!!!!!.......
photofinish

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Jun 2014, 19:08

If he enjoyed Laurel and Hardy, and Mel Brooks, then he had excellent taste in comedy as well 8-)

The Music Box :lol:

This particular comedy short won one of the first Academy Awards. The stairs it was filmed at are still there, in the Echo Park district (last time I was in L.A. they were still there, anyway).
RobertaSparrow

Re: What book would you share with Rory?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Jun 2014, 11:45

photofinish wrote:I already did that..gave Rory a Muddy Waters Tape in 1982...and then in 1987..talking to him about that tape..and sharing a beer with him..can't get better than that...

Tell us about the Laurel and Hardy connection? If you please?
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 11 Jun 2014, 18:12

Yes Photofinish. Maybe from time to time when you are able too you will share your Rory stories with us all. Theres not many left who have had that honor. Maybe, Roberta, we can set up a separate thread where people can leave their memories of meeting Rory. Roryon has something like that but lets start our own. Just a thought.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Jun 2014, 19:35

capo wrote:Yes Photofinish. Maybe from time to time when you are able too you will share your Rory stories with us all. Theres not many left who have had that honor. Maybe, Roberta, we can set up a separate thread where people can leave their memories of meeting Rory. Roryon has something like that but lets start our own. Just a thought.

Like this?
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 11 Jun 2014, 19:59

Yes indeed! Now, bring forth all ye stories of mighty Rory and his merry band. Please.
capo

Next

Return to Welcome to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum