Those of us Who Met Rory.. Please do Tell . . .

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Those of us who met Rory.. Please do tell . . .

Postby photofinish » 11 Jun 2014, 21:40

When i get chance i will...
photofinish

Postby fenderbass » 13 Jun 2014, 22:48

fenderbass

Postby amp2014 » 22 Jul 2014, 17:24

I met Rory and Donal in Detroit Dec. 1990
I was managing a club for a friend. He went out of town after booking the show not realizing that the show would sell out. The club had a capacity of 1000. Anyway Rory shows up around 3:00pm for a sound check and Donal is not happy with our dressing room accommodations and lets me know it. Rory had injured his foot the night before and it was swollen and he couldn’t get his cowboy boot on and refused to perform without his cowboy boots. At the same time people starting showing up for the show. We could not get him to a doctor at that time of the day. Former managers Arnie and Joel of the Detroit band the Romantics showed up for the show and Joel’s brother was a doctor. They left with Rory to get him a shot to reduce the swelling in his foot. I and Donal went out to buy tennis shoes for Rory just in case he couldn’t get his cowboy boots on; I know we were looking for black tennis shoes because Donal would have to talk Rory into wearing tennis shoes and he had a better chance if they were black. So Donal and I started talking and his anger over the dressing room accommodations passed. We talked about our families and I helped him find some presents for his children to give them when he got back from the tour. We became friends in a short time. After we got back to the club we seen Rory and helped him get his cowboy boots on so he could perform. Donal told Rory how much that I helped and Rory and Donal offered me a Guinness next time I was in Ireland. The show went on Rory jammed for at least 2-1/2 hours to a completely packed house well over 1000. I was going to the store and buying cases of beer because we sold out of the entire bar stock. Anyway I will never forget that night for the music and friendship of the Gallagher brothers. I never made it to Ireland to get my Guinness so maybe where ever it is to where we go I will have one waiting for me. Hope your well Donal
Your friend
amp2014

Re: Those of us Who Met Rory.. Please do Tell . . .

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Jul 2014, 22:00

amp2014 wrote:I met Rory and Donal in Detroit Dec. 1990
I was managing a club for a friend. He went out of town after booking the show not realizing that the show would sell out. The club had a capacity of 1000. Anyway Rory shows up around 3:00pm for a sound check and Donal is not happy with our dressing room accommodations and lets me know it. Rory had injured his foot the night before and it was swollen and he couldn’t get his cowboy boot on and refused to perform without his cowboy boots. At the same time people starting showing up for the show. We could not get him to a doctor at that time of the day. Former managers Arnie and Joel of the Detroit band the Romantics showed up for the show and Joel’s brother was a doctor. They left with Rory to get him a shot to reduce the swelling in his foot. I and Donal went out to buy tennis shoes for Rory just in case he couldn’t get his cowboy boots on; I know we were looking for black tennis shoes because Donal would have to talk Rory into wearing tennis shoes and he had a better chance if they were black. So Donal and I started talking and his anger over the dressing room accommodations passed. We talked about our families and I helped him find some presents for his children to give them when he got back from the tour. We became friends in a short time. After we got back to the club we seen Rory and helped him get his cowboy boots on so he could perform. Donal told Rory how much that I helped and Rory and Donal offered me a Guinness next time I was in Ireland. The show went on Rory jammed for at least 2-1/2 hours to a completely packed house well over 1000. I was going to the store and buying cases of beer because we sold out of the entire bar stock. Anyway I will never forget that night for the music and friendship of the Gallagher brothers. I never made it to Ireland to get my Guinness so maybe where ever it is to where we go I will have one waiting for me. Hope your well Donal
Your friend

A very warm welcome to Rory's family forum..

Daniel Gallagher, Donal's son I hope will see this lovely Rory story..
and hopefully will pass the message on for you to his father. If not I will see it gets there. But will need a name to tell him? ;)
You'll have to come across to the Rory fest too. I'm sure you'll get lots of pints of free Guinness for what you did for Rory and Donal all those years ago :)
I for one will buy you one at least.

Rock on for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 23 Jul 2014, 23:21

Your friend

Warm welcome to Loose Talk. Great story. Thank you for sharing your memory with us!
I hope you will see Donal soon and your friendship will rise in the new and fresh relationships.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby innuendo » 27 Jul 2014, 17:30

does it count if i met him in my dreams? :D
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Jul 2014, 18:46

Your friend

Lovely story. Thankyou for sharing. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Tibbierocks » 31 Jul 2014, 17:26

Your friend

great story. thank you for posting that.
Tibbierocks

Postby Doug » 03 Aug 2014, 07:40

I met Rory in March 1991 during his last US tour. I had seen him in southern California twice before his tour took him to Northern California (SF Bay area) the week after. I happened to be up there on business when I saw this tiny ad in the local newspaper that Rory was playing at a place called the Omni in Oakland, California. I decided I had to go see this show - it turns out a different gig had been cancelled and this was the replacement. Well, word did not get out and only about 40 or 50 people turned up. Can you believe that? I couldn't and I was there. But, I figured this would be my best chance to meet the man, and as it turns out, my only remaining chance since he never came back to California.

Anyway, I waited around for him back stage after the show was over, and he came out and greeted me. I asked him to sign my Fresh Evidence CD, which he did, and as he was signing it I began blubbering on and on about how much he and his music had meant to me for the past 20 years and he was such an inspiration to me. I could tell this was making Rory v-e-r-y uncomfortable so I shut up. I was totally in awe and don't really remember the remaining words we shared, although as you know he was exceedingly polite and looked me straight in the eye. It was a brief encounter and the last time I ever saw him alive. Still miss him to this day, for sure.

- Doug
Doug

Postby ken » 05 Oct 2015, 18:45

Hi Just got in again from the original site....... thanks to JayJay.
Yep, met Rory and interviewed him at the Queen Elizabeth Halls in London way back in the 70s
And met up at the Black Prince in Bexley for a short talk.
Have to dig out the transcript of that Interview.......
Used to know a few people from the original site hope to meet up again.
regards ken
ken

Previous

Return to Introduction & Welcome for New Members