RORY'S first public "Cry for Help" maybe 1986?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

RORY'S first public "Cry for Help" maybe 1986?

Postby Jay Jay » 22 May 2014, 21:49

Rory played the Self Aid Concert in a large stadium / venue in Dublin in 1986. Along with many other well known Irish acts that day.
As we know now his health did start to decline after this time in his life..
Listen to the lyrics in the second line of Shadow Play.. Do you hear Rory sing like I do? " I got some trouble.. things ain't right "??

Jay Jay

Re: RORY'S first public "Cry for Help" maybe 1986?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 May 2014, 04:21

I've noticed similar while reviewing many of Rory's performances around the early eighties. He was known to be a very private person, but on stage I think when things were troubling to him his performances were very telling. IMO yes, he is asking for help, in his way. I wouldn't want to risk causing his family any more grief by speculating, based on the comments of others I've come to that conclusion, that dwelling on those things in this public place may be hurtful to those who were closest to him. I think he knew he needed help, he didn't know where to find it or what to do. But there is an unmistakable change in his demeanor, a sadness, a searching in his eyes. I think if any of us could go back in time and change it for him we would. But that is impossible.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tom Jonas » 25 May 2014, 19:31

During the day I have watched and listened to many of the videos from late 1980s and 1990-94. With a few exceptions, like Rockpalatz 1990, it is so painful and sad to watch and listen to them. You can see that it was an unbelievable struggle to make the concert at all and not be standing there unable to continue.

Why did he commit himself to this?
Money?
Pressure from people surrounding him or record company??
Still an own determined wish to do it, though he knew he could hardly manage???

He should have stopped touring many years before. He could have continued to make albums in a peaceful environment, or maybe produced records with other artists playing in his style.
Or was touring and live-concerts the meaning of life?
Tom Jonas

Postby Flamenca » 25 May 2014, 21:36

Tom Jonas wrote:Why did he commit himself to this? Money?
Pressure from people surrounding him or record company??
Still an own determined wish to do it, though he knew he could hardly manage???

He should have stopped touring many years before. He could have continued to make albums in a peaceful environment, or maybe produced records with other artists playing in his style.
Or was touring and live-concerts the meaning of life?

I believe it was a combination of reasons ...

He needed the money, but he also needed the attention (narcissistic supply) from his fans, and approval of peers / critics. Without these I believe his self esteem / self worth started to collapse, but he kept this to himself ... and the descent into prescription drug and alcohol used as coping mechanisms occurred.

http://www.drettensohn.com/narcissistic ... -disorder/

According to Jean-Noel Coghe, Rory became addicted to pills in about 1981. This coincided with and was probably due to the decline in his career. Rory's life was his career. Without it, he felt directionless and troubled. According to Gerry McAvoy, by 1986 it was apparent to those closest to him, that Rory had become an alcoholic.
Flamenca

Postby capo » 25 May 2014, 22:27

While we all can only surmise, I believe, those last years, he was only happy (as he could be) and fulfilled plying his art and trade onstage. He stated many times those last years that he wanted to be like his old Blues heroes, still performing in old age. I recall Donal saying that he put together that last Dutch tour in January 1995 because at least Rory would have the shows to look forward to and they could regulate his diet and pills and be around people instead of hiding in his flat wasting away. Playing guitar and performing was all he had in the end and gave his life meaning. His spirit was willing, but, in the end, his body gave out. Sometimes I think we dwell too much on Rory's final years and death instead of celebrating the life and music of this most vibrant and life affiriming artists who ever stepped upon a stage and gave joy to millions of music lovers. And still does. I always remember Rory that way, alive and happy, doing what he loved the most. Peace.
capo

Postby vasdis » 25 May 2014, 23:57

Very nice sentiments indeed !
vasdis

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 May 2014, 03:09

Why did he continue? Because it was what he loved doing, it was what he wanted to do his whole life, to make music. It was the thing that fueled his passion. Yes, he likely needed the money, he had people to support, but it was what he loved to do more than anything, playing his guitar. I think if anyone had tried to make him stop, he would have been lost.

I grow weary of hearing people judge him as having let them down. He played the hand he was dealt, I think he tried as best he knew, and he was a good, decent man, an extraordinary artist, and someone his fans, friends, and most of all his family can be proud of.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tom Jonas » 26 May 2014, 08:08

Sometimes I think we dwell too much on Rory's final years and death instead of celebrating the life and music of this most vibrant and life affiriming artists who ever stepped upon a stage and gave joy to millions of music lovers.

Yes, you have a good point there. Why should we watch the decline. But I felt as if I had to finish that part.

Therefore, the day ended with one of my favourites - Loreley 1982.
I like it so much because it makes me almost feel as being present there in the summernight. And the concert is (almost?) complete! That is what I miss in other recordings. And saxophones and keyboards were not a bad idea.
Tom Jonas

Postby Jay Jay » 26 May 2014, 13:39

RobertaSparrow wrote:Why did he continue? Because it was what he loved doing, it was what he wanted to do his whole life, to make music. It was the thing that fueled his passion. Yes, he likely needed the money, he had people to support, but it was what he loved to do more than anything, playing his guitar. I think if anyone had tried to make him stop, he would have been lost.

I grow weary of hearing people judge him as having let them down. He played the hand he was dealt, I think he tried as best he knew, and he was a good, decent man, an extraordinary artist, and someone his fans, friends, and most of all his family can be proud of.

As always Cynthia, I agree entirely with your sentiments and appraisal about Rory and his reasoning..

Apologies Tom & Capo in advance
One more note though on his later years. About the change, not just in his appearance but his attitude when performing on stage?
I know Rory was born to play the guitar and to entertain like he did so naturally and splendidly. It was his true vocation in life. You could see the joy of his playing live as I did numerous times throughout for at least 20 years. The last 4 or five years though he did not come on stage so enthusiastically. Plus he didn't say so much of his great lines / quotes as in his earlier years ..
" I hope you're going to enjoy the music " :) instead more like " Let's go to work " :(

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 May 2014, 16:04

IMO, with Rory, the spirit was always willing- from his first performance when he was a little boy and won his first prize for playing music, til his last performance when he collapsed on stage, and Mark was at his side to help him- Rory's spirit was determined, he played music because he loved it so much. He was passionate for his art, always. And you could see the toll on his guitars and on his physical body as the years went on. I'd say by the early '80s, it was apparent, it was placing a burden on his physical health.

I Could've Had Religion, '72

I Could've Had Religion. '94

You can see in the later clip, his hands, 20+ years later, how many years' worth of hard work and wear on those tendons, nerves. You can bet, he is playing through pain there, it affects a person, their expression, the way they carry themselves.

A few days ago I had worked in my yard, used a power mower. But my 60 year old hands don't take kindly to the weight and vibration of a heavy lawnmower engine, so when I went to work later that day, the ligaments and nerve endings in my wrist and fingers were on fire. Had my workday ahead of me, so with a handful of aspirin and a pressure bandage on my wrist I went to work. Even though I didn't think it affected me, others knew- that hot, dull aching in the nerves, muscles and seemingly into the very bones makes everything you do seem so much harder, and despite one's best efforts, some of that pain makes it to the surface.

Imagine how that had to be for a musician so driven- someone like Rory who had by his 40's probably put a couple of lifetime's worth of hard work hours on his hands- you can see it in his face.

But playing music made him happy. Watch the second clip, you can see, there is pain there, but also that same joy and wonder at the beauty of music, there in Rory's eyes. That's why he kept doing it.
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome