Hello from San Jose' California USA

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Hello from San Jose' California USA

Postby woodeye2000 » 18 Mar 2014, 06:03

Well, it's still St. Patrick's Day in Cali ! My ancestors were Ulstermen. All the best to everyone. Rory Gallagher has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I just enjoy his style of rock and blues. My first taste of his tasty guitar playing was seeing Rory do "Hands Off" on television. I got to shake his hand after a performance at San Jose' State University. Consumption of a bottle of Black Bush did not prevent me from thoroughly enjoying the evening. My favorite piece that night was "Out on the Western Plain." (acoustic)
What there is to admire about Rory is that he was truly a man of the people. He was humble. He played his ass off. He would give you the plaid shirt off his back. One of my favorites is "Cross Me Off Your List." I like the electric guitar solo on that one. I will always be a fan of Rory Gallagher. His music just touches my soul. To have had a chance to shake his hand makes it even more meaningful. Thank you.
woodeye2000

Re: Hello from San Jose' California USA

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Mar 2014, 11:47

Hi there, welcome to Rory's forum. I, too, am from California, Southern California- born in Corona, California and grew up in Los Angeles County. I saw Rory play whenever he toured Los Angeles in the 70's- never would have had the courage to try to talk to him or shake his hand though, and never realized back then that he was so very approachable and friendly- after all, he was of the same status as Hendrix, or Page, or Clapton.

As amazing as his recorded performances were, his live performances were so much more intense, his passion and joy in the music flowed out of him through his old guitar, radiated out from his amps and through us standing in his audience. He was a master musician, but more than that- he was so happy to be there, in front of us, sharing his gift, his art, with us. And unlike the massive egos of his contemporaries, his kind, gentle manner toward his fans shone through.

You're one of the lucky ones who got to meet him, shake his hand!

But I digress . . . Welcome aboard!

-RobertaSparrow
RobertaSparrow

Postby woodeye2000 » 18 Mar 2014, 15:52

Great to hear your thoughts, RobertaSparrow. Thank you for the warm welcome to Rory's home.
To clarify, I don't want to try to portray that it was a "meet 'n' greet" or that I had a backstage pass or anything. During the performance I was near the stage. In my inebriated state, I was headbutting Rory's speaker cabinets! LOL. He didn't take it personally. I think-I know Rory Gallagher actually enjoyed that I was so into his music. He had a huge grin. He came over, shook my hand alone, and walked off stage. That memory is forever indelibly tatooed in my mind.
woodeye2000

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Mar 2014, 17:17

:lol: Now that would be a memory to savor. That sounds like Rory! Such a sweet, gentle man.... Do you remember the name of the tune?
RobertaSparrow

Postby woodeye2000 » 18 Mar 2014, 18:15

Sorry, can't remember-but I can still hear that wicked slide guitar-I can still see that '61 Strat with the finish worn off-no kidding-this was before the legend was born about that thing. "Out on the Western Plain" was the only acoustic number in that night's set list. It struck me as way cool that the Irish blues-rocker was paying tribute to country and western. "Come a cow cow cow come a cow cow chip away."
woodeye2000

Postby JimLED » 18 Mar 2014, 20:17

Welcome to Loose Talk, Woodeye2000!
Thank you for sharing your memory with us! :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby woodeye2000 » 18 Mar 2014, 20:43

Thank you sir. Thank you. I am ready to explore this exciting website.
woodeye2000

Postby Jimmy » 29 Mar 2014, 13:43

Hi Woodeye,
When i seen you are from San Jose I just had to say howdy. I lived in Redwood City for about 10 years. Good to see your post, very cool story.
Cheers, Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby SUBY1974 » 31 Mar 2014, 20:45

Welcome to Roryland Woodeye. You are lucky to have shaken RGs hand! Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Tibbierocks » 02 Apr 2014, 09:45

LOL! you nutted rory's speaker cabinets :-D Priceless! well done there. Welcome to the forum. :-)
Tibbierocks

Return to Introduction & Welcome for New Members