RORY'S '61 Strat ~ Next Guitarist to Play?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Who do you think should be the next guitarist to be honored with playing Rory's strat???

Poll ended at 05 Apr 2014, 22:34

Slash
31%
The Edge
No votes
Brian May
46%
Jimmy Page
23%

Total votes : 13

RORY'S '61 Strat ~ Next Guitarist to Play?

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Mar 2014, 22:34

So far there has been Bernie Marsden, Joe Bonamassa and Johnny Marr..
that have been honored to play Rory's famous '61 stratocaster since his passing

rory1.jpg

Who do you think should be the next guitarist to be honored with playing Rory's strat???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: RORY'S '61 Strat ~ Next Guitarist to Play?

Postby mac » 07 Mar 2014, 00:09

From this list JJ, I'll go with slash because he seems a genuine fan. Brian always acknowledges Rory as the man who showed him how to get his sound, but I've not heard him mention any of the great songs Rory wrote, and the edge wouldn't be able to play it !
If it was up to me, next man to play it would be Barry Barnes.
mac

Postby guitarqueena1 » 07 Mar 2014, 00:58

The one who should get to play that Beautiful 61 strat... no other than Marcel Sherpenzeel of Band of friends. He should be able to play it for the Rory Gallagher Festival. It would only be right especially because Gerry McAvoy and Ted McKenna had spent so many years with Rory. IT IS THE ONLY CHOICE.
guitarqueena1

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Mar 2014, 03:33

I vote for Slash, because he has gone to bat for Rory- nominated him for the RRHoF, and helped set up the petition that I would encourage anyone who hasn't yet signed it to do it-

He deserves it for doing what so many others who ought to stand up for Rory have not done-

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rory ... alloffame/

So I vote for Slash, even though he might have already played The Strat when he spent time with Rory after the show.

Anyway, Slash has earned my respect, and my vote . . . 8-)

P.S. If you haven't yet-

Please sign the Petition!!!
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 07 Mar 2014, 09:51

I'll go with Slash because I was a huge Guns fan growing up and I don't think I've ever seen Slash play a Fender. The Edge... yeah.. it might get loud with Page and Jack white did make the Edge look silly, I thought. He was out of his depth. I'm sure he's a very nice man, but he's not up there with the guitar greats. I'd like to play/hold Rory's guitar too. I can play the riff of Sunshine of your love, but none of Rory's songs.... I vote Slash, then me ;-)
Tibbierocks

Postby Mike1970 » 07 Mar 2014, 14:18

From the 3 listed here, I guess Slash, and he does seem to be a genuine fan of Rory's, which is nice. If he were still alive I would have considered Gary Moore as well.
Mike1970

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Mar 2014, 18:58

Mike1970 wrote:From the 3 listed here, I guess Slash, and he does seem to be a genuine fan of Rory's, which is nice. If he were still alive I would have considered Gary Moore as well.

Yes- Gary Moore as well, but I think he already played Rory's strat, when Rory was alive, when they were sitting together backstage- seems I read that somewhere.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 07 Mar 2014, 23:16

mac wrote:From this list JJ, I'll go with slash because he seems a genuine fan. Brian always acknowledges Rory as the man who showed him how to get his sound, but I've not heard him mention any of the great songs Rory wrote, and the edge wouldn't be able to play it !
If it was up to me, next man to play it would be Barry Barnes.

Slash Rory T shirt.jpg

slash 1.jpg

I'm seeing your points guys as Slash as a fan and favoured one..
Hi Mac, I believe Brian May as a fan of Rory Gallagher too. Let's face it if he went to see Rory with Taste a few times at The Marquee club in London. Plus Brian for sure has 'On The Boards' in his record collection. He must have been and fan and still is. I've heard Brian fairly recently on BBC tv say not just about his sound but also giving Rory credit for some licks he copied and developed from Rory songs, as in Tie you Mother Down from Morning Sun. Brian has praised Rory also for being such a gracious person and musician too :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby guitarqueena1 » 08 Mar 2014, 00:15

If Marcel Sherpenzeel is not the next to play Rory's beautiful wonderful 61 Fender Strat, I would be pretty great if his nephew played it. I am assuming his nephew Daniel plays guitar.
guitarqueena1

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Mar 2014, 01:30

guitarqueena1 wrote:If Marcel Sherpenzeel is not the next to play Rory's beautiful wonderful 61 Fender Strat, I would be pretty great if his nephew played it. I am assuming his nephew Daniel plays guitar.

I've seen many photos of Daniel with it. lucky guy!
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome