Blues Night BBC 4 - Where was Rory?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Blues Night BBC 4 - Where was Rory?

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Feb 2014, 09:37

Anyone watching BBC4 on Friday night? B.B King documentary. No mention of Rory, but the usual suspects were all there... Clapton, Peter Green, etc. Then blues at the BBC - again the usual suspects... No clip of Rory on the old grey whistle test. why is he just ignored?
Tibbierocks

Re: Blues night bbc 4 - where was rory?

Postby folkdeejay » 24 Feb 2014, 11:31

It is odd - I think it is the case that he appeared on OGWT more than any other act. So the BBC were not shunning Rory when he was touring.

The BBC also have a few one off recordings - not to mention loads of radio stuff. So he is on the radar there - yet he is simply not a "name" like the others mentioned above.

Of course, whilst it is easy to grumble and blame the BBC, they have to consider the mainstream audience when programming, and Rory shunned the media and the mainstream for much of his career - so perhaps his relatively low profile is, ultimately, down to the way he, and his label/management, ran the PR and publicity during his active years.

If 95% of viewers do not know an act, is it actually correct to include that act in a general retrospective of "big" names... maybe not. Hard to call. Personally, I think he should be in there... as will everyone else here. That doesn't make it correct though.
folkdeejay

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Feb 2014, 12:26

Reminds me of Scott walker about 10 years ago. He was never mentioned as being huge in the 60s... books did not mention him.. no tv footage, then the documentary 30th century man got made and he became the name to drop by musicians and I see references to Scott every where now. Thing 'bout Rory that surprises me is the number of records he has sold! millions and millions and yet he's still not shown. The amount that we pay for the license fee... I want to see Rory on BBC for that money.
Yes indeed it could be a bit of you reap what you sow - no singles etc and you get written out of music history.
Tibbierocks

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Feb 2014, 12:48

you know, the older I get the more inclined I am to complain/comment. I begrude paying that tv license, which I view as another tax, so I just found a comment form, filled it in and submitted. I have suggested they include Rory in compilation music shows, especially blues, guitar hero, old grey whistle test shows in light of the fact he's sold between 30-40 million records. I think that's enough to warrant some footage. It won't achieve anything, but at least I know I've tried. If I have to pay for the BBC, I think I am intitled to have my say on the content of the shows :-D
Tibbierocks

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Feb 2014, 12:51

Ah and here's the automated reply.:

Thank you for taking the time to send us your views. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as it plays an important role in helping to shape our decisions.

It isn't possible for us to respond individually to comments, so this is an automated message to let you know that we’ve read your feedback and will log the details (removing any personal details) so they can be reported back to the wider BBC, including programme makers, commissioning editors and senior management.

Thanks again for contacting the BBC.

Best wishes

BBC Audience Services.

NB: Please do not reply to this email. It comes from an automated account which is not monitored.

so that's achieved nothing then :-D
Tibbierocks

Postby folkdeejay » 24 Feb 2014, 13:08

Tibbierocks wrote:you know, the older I get the more inclined I am to complain/comment. I begrude paying that tv license, which I view as another tax, so I just found a comment form, filled it in and submitted. I have suggested they include Rory in compilation music shows, especially blues, guitar hero, old grey whistle test shows in light of the fact he's sold between 30-40 million records. I think that's enough to warrant some footage. It won't achieve anything, but at least I know I've tried. If I have to pay for the BBC, I think I am intitled to have my say on the content of the shows :-D

Despite what I said earlier, I do agree Rory is underrepresented - and the BBC is a public service broadcaster, so should be educating, and not just reflecting the popular consensus.

Personally, I think the bbc is amazing value - if you consider the radio and web output too - plus the fact it is the de-facto source of news for so many around the world. It get hassle from the righ for being too liberal/Guardian-y and also from the left for being a voice for "The Man" .... which suggests it gets it just about right.

More Rory on the bbc would be a good thing.
folkdeejay

Re: Blues night BBC 4 - where was Rory?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Feb 2014, 15:59

Being located on the other side of the globe has definite disadvantages re: all things Rory. He's almost never mentioned here- even in his heyday, at the peak of his success, seems he was known to the music crowd almost by word-of-mouth. I have never seen or heard him mentioned on any of the so-called music video stations here. When he passed away there was no mention of it anywhere in the media that I am aware, and at that time one of my jobs as a volunteer at an environmental law organization was to scan the news media, albeit for natural-environment related news and announcements, but that meant I was actively scanning the media every day, yet when Rory died I saw no mention of it here in the Pacific Northwest. In contrast, when Gerry Garcia died, barely two months after Rory passed, I heard the news when they actually interrupted a radio broadcast to announce it, and it was front page news the next day. I didn't learn about Rory's passing until years later, and only through a Google search done out of curiosity, what had happened in those intervening years.

But I am surprised to hear that the BBC does not cover Rory. He did quite a bit of work with them, they have in their possession video and recordings of Rory that no one else has, locked away, "archived" somewhere probably in some dusty storage room. Some of my favorite recordings of Rory were the BBC sessions that were released.

Seems the way around that, because it is a young person's world now, and face it, Rory was intentionally under the radar as far as media, publicity was concerned- so people in control of those things are of a generation that knows very little about the rich legacy that Rory left behind- so how to change it? I think we all try, in our own lives, especially we who saw him play because Rory's performances were so passionate, so driven, and he was unique. The way to get him "rediscovered" is to bring his music, his performances, back into the light of day. The tribute bands certainly help, and festivals like the one coming up in Ballyshannon are a big boost for him. Little things, like hearing his music used in movies, TV shows, mentioned in books and stories, that certainly helps. And (here I go again) having his music incorporated into video game formats like Rocksmith and Bandfuse would also help.

There almost has to be a catalyst so to speak, some kind of media moment that makes the public take notice again- a mega-hit movie like Pulp Fiction, or a TV event like Breaking Bad that features Rory's music-links it into the mainstream where Rory at the time didn't want to be, but in retrospect, he belonged there all along.

Rory's biggest impact was always among the artists, especially musicians, who were in a place to know about him and respect him. That is the community that should be coming to his aid now- all the musicians, famous and soon to be famous, that know him, know his music, and were influenced by him. Musicians, writers, directors, actors, visual artists, the next generation on the cutting edge of new technologies- I hope fervently that they will hear and see his performances, be inspired by them, and put him back in the spotlight where he belongs.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 27 Feb 2014, 17:48

Agreed, all the artists who were influenced by Rory need to get vocal about it. Not much I can do on my own, but all those rich influential musicians can do a whole lot more.
Tibbierocks

Postby Jay Jay » 27 Feb 2014, 23:38

Tibbierocks wrote:Agreed, all the artists who were influenced by Rory need to get vocal about it. Not much I can do on my own, but all those rich influential musicians can do a whole lot more.
RobertaSparrow wrote:Rory's biggest impact was always among the artists, especially musicians, who were in a place to know about him and respect him. That is the community that should be coming to his aid now- all the musicians, famous and soon to be famous, that know him, know his music, and were influenced by him. Musicians, writers, directors, actors, visual artists, the next generation on the cutting edge of new technologies- I hope fervently that they will hear and see his performances, be inspired by them, and put him back in the spotlight where he belongs.

Agreed.. These listed.. with the exception of 3 or 4 of famous whom have passed away below.

John Lennon (Beatles)
Mick Jagger
Bill Wyman
Charlie Watts (Stones)
Eric Clapton
Jack Bruce
Ginger Baker (Cream)
Eric Bell
Phil Lynott
Garry Moore
Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)
Francis Rossi
Rick Parfitt
John Coghlan (Status Quo)
Roger Glover
Richie Blackmore
David Coverdale (Deep Purple)
Bono
The Edge
Adam Clayton
Larry Mullens Jnr (U2)
Jon Bon Jovi
Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
Adam Ant
Bob Dylan
Rod Stewart
Ronnie Drew
Van Morrison
Muddy Waters
Jerry Lee Lewis
Juan Martin
Martin Carthy
Richard Thompson
Pat Cash
Bill Hicks
Brian May (Queen)
Paul Rodgers (Free)
Eric Burdon (The Animals)
Glen Tipton (Judas Priest)
Andy Summers (The Police)
James Dean Bradfield (MSP)
Johnny Marr (The Smiths)
Pete Townsend (The Who)
Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Viv Campbell (Deff Leppard)
Slash (Guns & Roses)
Ace Frehley (Kiss)
Janick Gers (Iron Maiden)
Andy Powell (Wishbone Ash)
Bob "The Bear" Hite (Canned Heat)
Joe Bonamassa (Black Country Communion)

PS. Saying this some of these guys must have spoken out about Rory highly last year. 'cause Rory won the Classic Rock " Inspiration " Award :)
Link here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3638
Jay Jay

Re: Blues Night BBC 4 - Where was Rory?

Postby Tibbierocks » 03 Mar 2014, 11:17

A big name tribute concert would be nice.... with those above still living.
Tibbierocks

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome