Rory mention in new book

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory mention in new book

Postby roryfan » 23 Feb 2014, 03:15

Tom Thatcher was kind enough to pass along this email regarding a Rory mention in a new book
john g
Hi!!
Have a look at this mail to ace author Richard Montanari......

Kind regards,
Tom
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Richard,

I love your books and especially The Stolen Ones, which is a cracker.

But, but, to my delight and astonishment, on page 332 of the Sphere English version, I quote:

"He turned off the music he was listening to - Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74....."

Rory was my hero from the age of 18 when I saw him take out the mighty Hendrix at Woburn Abbey Festival.
For him to get a mention in a new novel is a breath of fresh air!!
I will circulate around the Gallagher circle.

Many thanks,

Best wishes
Tom T
roryfan

Re: Rory mention in new book

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Feb 2014, 03:53

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... olen%20one
U.S. site

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... +montanari
U.K. site

I'm glad to see these things happening, people who knew Rory's music back in the day, and now incorporate his music and memory in their own works- 8-)

I wish I could do something like that- it's a special talent to be able to write fiction, if I could, I'd try to do the same.

I bet Suby will- ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 23 Feb 2014, 18:38

RobertaSparrow wrote:This one?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... olen%20one
U.S. site

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... +montanari
U.K. site

I'm glad to see these things happening, people who knew Rory's music back in the day, and now incorporate his music and memory in their own works- 8-)

I wish I could do something like that- it's a special talent to be able to write fiction, if I could, I'd try to do the same.

I bet Suby will- ;)

Yes it is nice when someone includes Rory's name in their work. Will i do so in the future when my writing has more visibility? You bet! :mrgreen: He did inspire one of my characters in my books but I have now left that out. I rather mention Rory directly to my readers. Since then I now have interest in play writing. I have some ideas about a play i would like to write. My writers group are big on play writing at the moment. Somewhere Rory would be mentioned - maybe the character going to one of his live shows or something. Before I put Rory's name in I would send a draft of the play to Gallagher family and then seek permission from them to use his name. It is important for all writers out their to seek permission for their published works where necessary. :!: :!:

Talking about plays I just want to mention that I did see Strangers On A Train at the Gielgud Theatre in Piccadilly Circus yesterday afternoon. It was amazing. The theatre is so beautiful and full of history and character. I just loved it. In the Apollo theatre the roof collasped not so long ago and I do hope more money will be raised to repair our old theatres in the UK. They are our natural heritage. I will discuss the play,book and film soon on this board, but I was thinking it is because of Rory I am here. He liked Patricia Highsmith books, he read Strangers On A Train and that led me to reading the book, seeing the film and watching this amazing play here in London. I also met a lady in the audience and we talked about play writing and I think I inspired her to pick up the pen again and write! Also while reading the book, with perfect synchronicity the play was advertised in London on the Underground. That is always happening to me. Watching the Strangers On The Train certainly has inspired me to write a play even more and thats all thanks to Rory. Now that I am working in London again I intend to visit Hampstead Theatre and see up and coming new playwrights have their work staged. My favourite playwriter is Harold Pinter. I love The Caretaker he wrote. Rory has made me want to investigate the crime thriller genre more and play writing more.

I will always do everything I can to mention Rory's name in the creative world I inhabit. I promised him that and I will visit him in Ballincollig at least once a year as long as I can as I promised him. Me and Susie have talked about starting a blog or something on our travels to Ireland and will mention Rory on there ( as always seeking the Gallagher's family permission first). I first went to Ireland in 2000 and just loved it there and this was long before I knew of Rory's music. I love Ireland because I believe there is a connection to the East and I love the country for other reasons as well. Their cultural heritage is amazing and I also love Ireland for Rory too.

I can't wait to get to the airport and board my plane for Cork this year. Like I said as soon as I enter my plane I can "smell" Ireland in the distance. Subrata. x :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

About four years ago I could not really play a note on my acoustic guitar but because of Rory I put the effort in. Now at least it is coming along well. Again it is because of him and if it weren't for him the guitar would still be sitting on top of my wardrobe. I got the guitar in 2005 and took a few lessons and then promptly gave up. But now I intend to stick to it. :D Well Rory will make sure of that.
Got to get back to my writing now. :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby Annie Elliott » 24 Feb 2014, 15:19

Is anyone interested in writing some Rory fan-fiction? Just short little stories... I have one from a series I'm writing...they're all about Judith Hearne :-) I think the old girl deserves a bit of fun, and this one has her as Rory's drummer. It's a bit surreal, based on a dream I had. If anyone else would like to share, let me know.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Feb 2014, 22:49

Annie Elliott wrote:Is anyone interested in writing some Rory fan-fiction? Just short little stories... I have one from a series I'm writing...they're all about Judith Hearne :-) I think the old girl deserves a bit of fun, and this one has her as Rory's drummer. It's a bit surreal, based on a dream I had. If anyone else would like to share, let me know.

Well, as far as fan fiction, I'm not big on making up stories about real people. There's enough of that floating around already. I'd have serious reservations. It's work enough sorting out the bogus stories from the real ones as it is. Especially on the official site, someone posts fan fiction here, and, as well intentioned as it sounds, it wouldn't be long before someone begins to quote it as "fact," no matter how ridiculous or absurd the tale. Of course, I'm just a moderator, and a new one at that, so I would defer to the powers that be.

I could see including mention of Rory and his work in a subplot, similar to the way Ian Rankin does occasionally in his work, or Stephen King. He's another one that often weaves lines from music and trivia about other artists into his work.

I had started a novel a while back where the protagonist‎ and friends first meet at a Taste concert- the storyline would have proceeded from there, but mention of Rory and his music would have been incidental, the concert and the music as a starting point for characters to have first met. So far it has stalled out on my hard drive. Probably a good thing.

Now, a factual book about Rory would be different.

I would like to see perhaps Mark Feltham and/or Tom O'driscoll collaborate with Donal on a book- I know Donal started writing one. Maybe something of a dialog with the two or three of them would make it easier to get it started. It would also take some of the pressure off Donal to finish the book- writing would go faster and easier with others to work through the years of memories.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 26 Feb 2014, 13:27

Indeed, Roberta, I see your point. Although it would be quite hilarious to start seeing posts inquiring as to whether Judith Hearne ever really did drum for Rory :-)
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Feb 2014, 20:25

Annie Elliott wrote:Indeed, Roberta, I see your point. Although it would be quite hilarious to start seeing posts inquiring as to whether Judith Hearne ever really did drum for Rory :-)

From what I've read, Rory was pretty demanding of his drummers- she'd have had to be on a par with John Bonham to keep him happy- 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome