Coming to my home town - Rory did - Classical

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Coming to my home town - Rory did!

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Feb 2014, 14:08

Flamenca wrote:Had to wash dishes for a year to buy my Fender FC40. It had to be a Fender because Rory had one! When I told Rory about the dish washing, he found that amusing and teased me about it for quite some time :lol:

Flamenca, I always wondered, never saw him play one, did Rory to your knowledge ever play a classical guitar?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 13 Feb 2014, 17:41

He told me that he'd dabbled but couldn't read music. He told me he couldn't play flamenco either. I think Rory was so modest he didn't feel he could rightly say he could do something, unless he felt he could do it well.
Flamenca

Postby Jay Jay » 13 Feb 2014, 18:17

Flamenca wrote:He told me that he'd dabbled but couldn't read music. He told me he couldn't play flamenco either. I think Rory was so modest he didn't feel he could rightly say he could do something, unless he felt he could do it well.

Rory could play any style of music, if he put his mind to it.. As the great classical flamenco guitarist Juan Martin said, after playing flamenco with Rory here quote.. "Rory Gallagher was a monster guitarist"

Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Feb 2014, 20:28

Jay Jay wrote:
Flamenca wrote:He told me that he'd dabbled but couldn't read music. He told me he couldn't play flamenco either. I think Rory was so modest he didn't feel he could rightly say he could do something, unless he felt he could do it well.

Rory could play any style of music, if he put his mind to it.. As the great classical flamenco guitarist Juan Martin said, after playing flamenco with Rory here quote.. "Rory Gallagher was a monster guitarist"

I would have loved to hear Rory on a classical- yes, he was very modest. He didn't seem to think he was very good at sax either, but considering he decided one day to learn to play, and closed himself off for a relatively short period of time in a small room with a saxophone, and emerged with enough knowledge to play it in Taste, his natural musical ability couldn't be denied. He was a natural born musician, and a true artist.

I just re-listened to Flight to Paradise- it sounds like both acoustic guitars on there are nylon stringed guitars, so maybe Rory was on a classical there.
RobertaSparrow

Postby photofinish » 13 Feb 2014, 21:59

Saw Rory's gig at Dominion Theatre in March 1984...was immense..to c Juan Martin,David Lindley and Richard Thompson...have a great recording...Rory played a great version of Mississippi Sheiks solo on his strat..great memory's...
photofinish

Postby Flamenca » 14 Feb 2014, 12:00

photofinish - I would have loved to have been at that gig but in those days, I could barely pay my rent.

Regarding Rory's playing of the classical guitar, I think we might be talking at cross-purposes here. ;) It's one thing to pick up an instrument and play a particular genre on it, however, finger picking on a classical guitar isn't the same as being able to play classical repertoire to a professional standard on it ...

With more thought about this (a good night's sleep always helps :) and without meaning to be disrespectful to Rory, I don't think he could play classical works to a professional standard, and he was the first to admit it. It wasn't his area of expertise. Rory excelled in improvisation. He was a maestro at improv, no doubt about that ... but strict adherence to a score? Nah, that definitely wasn't Rory's forté. Rory play with an orchestra? Fat chance :lol:

I was very lucky to have been taught by a fabulously versatile musician - Bob Power, who played bass in the backline in show bands and sessions as his real job, when not teaching little kids like me for his bread and butter money. He used to compete with Trevor Horn for gigs! He didn't compete with Rory though! He transcribed some Jobim for me into more simple arrangements. I still have them but haven't played them for a while now. Must get around to it sometime :lol:
Flamenca

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Feb 2014, 12:16

Flamenca wrote:Rory play with an orchestra? Fat chance

Hey Flamenca, you talk the loose talk :D and say you knew Rory well? Obviously you didn't know him that well, especially regarding his musical capabilities..

Here is RORY GALLAGHER playing with the LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA ;)

Jay Jay

Re: Coming to my home town - Rory did - Classical

Postby Flamenca » 14 Feb 2014, 13:04

Without wishing to be pedantic - but I will be :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rory didn't play classical guitar in this piece - and he didn't play WITH the orchestra either ...

He played a single, improvised top line melody ... on the STRAT ... that was overdubbed in the studio ... AFTER the orchestral track had already been laid down ...

To the layperson, this means, the orchestral work had already been recorded, Rory went into the studio and listened to this orchestral recording being played back to him through head phones. He then played short solo improvs, on the strat whilst listening through the headphones. Rory's track was then later overdubbed into the overall recording ...

Call me 'old bat ears' :mrgreen: but if you listen very carefully, you will hear that the ambient noise on the orchestral recording sounds different from the ambient noise on Rory's track ... thus indicating that Rory's track was overdubbed ...

And the work is prog rock, not classical :lol:
Flamenca

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Feb 2014, 14:09

Jay Jay wrote:
Flamenca wrote:Rory play with an orchestra? Fat chance

Hey Flamenca, you talk the loose talk :D and say you knew Rory well? Obviously you didn't know him that well, especially regarding his musical capabilities..

Here is RORY GALLAGHER playing with the LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA ;)

Flamenca wrote:And the work is prog rock, not classical

Not being pedantic but precise here ...

Mike Batt And Friends ‎– Tarot Suite
Label:
Epic ‎– ELPS 4020
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Gatefold Cover
New Zealand
Released:
Genre:
Rock, Pop, "Classical "
Style:
Art Rock, Classic Rock, Pop Rock, Prog Rock, Symphonic Rock ;)

http://www.discogs.com/Mike-Batt-And-Fr ... se/4105204
Jay Jay

Postby Flamenca » 14 Feb 2014, 14:34

JJ - with all due respect, that's just record shop shelf locating, but I do take your point.

That recording never made it onto the Classic fm selector system during my stint as production manager '96-'97, and neither did Enya - and they still aren't on it either. The only reason Karl Jenkins Adiemus cross-over album made it was because CBS Distribution paid for sponsorship at a time when we were desperate for the cash! The old guard screamed blue murder for the 'sell-out' ... :mrgreen:

You might want to bear in mind, that Classic FM selector system is the one used by I-tunes to identify works as classical, for which Classic fm and the estate of Robin Ray receive a hefty royalty. Where there's a hit, there's a writ ... see Robin Ray v Classic FM Plc [1998] FSR 622 for more info ... ;)

Per Wiki - 'In the early 1990s, he (Ray) was one of the first executives hired by the start-up commercial classical music radio station, Classic FM, with which he remained associated from 1991 to 1997. He drew up a list of 50,000 pieces of classical music and rating them for popular appeal, which was the basis for the Classic FM playlist. This list proved to be extremely attractive to similar popular classical music radio stations in other countries and there was a legal dispute between Ray and Classic FM, which Ray won in 1998, as to who was entitled to the copyright in the playlist and ratings (Robin Ray v Classic FM Plc [1998] FSR 622).'

I think there is a blurring at the edges as to what most people understand to be 'classical'. They confuse it with 'OST' - Orchestral Sound Tracks e.g. film scores etc. Definitions change over time, and I guess in this day and age, the boundaries are less defined, although sticklers may well disagree :mrgreen:
Flamenca

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome