Coming to my home town - Rory did - Classical

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Coming to my home town - Rory did!

Postby Tibbierocks » 12 Feb 2014, 11:41

It's quite tricky to think what you would show Rory if you could have him with you now as I'm thinking it's culture from 1996 onwards and being a lot younger than rory (if he were alive, he would older than my dad), I'm playing catch up with 60s/70s music, literature and film. I need to go back to him the 70s, not the other way around. I think a lot of the 90s bands were good.

I would like to see the Paul Klee show at the Tate Modern right now. Cuba before the Castro brothers die. He could me around Ireland as I'm desperate to see the country.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Feb 2014, 14:32

Tibbierocks wrote: . . .
Books and places I'd take Rory.... My first thought was I would just want to try and make him laugh... use my sense of humour to try and impress him. ... sorry it's true. I'm sure you can all guess that I would have been interested in Rory from a romantic point of view :-D . . .

:lol: :lol: you and probably just about every other woman on the forum- :lol: if we all had time machines Rory would probably go into hiding :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Feb 2014, 22:48

Tibbierocks wrote:It's quite tricky to think what you would show Rory if you could have him with you now as I'm thinking it's culture from 1996 onwards and being a lot younger than rory (if he were alive, he would older than my dad), I'm playing catch up with 60s/70s music, literature and film. I need to go back to him the 70s, not the other way around. I think a lot of the 90s bands were good.

I would like to see the Paul Klee show at the Tate Modern right now. Cuba before the Castro brothers die. He could me around Ireland as I'm desperate to see the country.

Two of my friends who went to college with me and my brother told me I was very lucky to have lived through 90s music. I was a teenager then and now looking back it was a great time. Lot of great bands were around but Nirvana stands out most in my mind. There was something always good on the radio I remember and many 60s and 70s artists felt that the "good old days" had returned. Eric Clapton mentioned the Brit Pop era and loved it as he says in his autobiography. Dance, hip op, Indie, pop, Brit Pop, rap - great stuff. I know I am lucky to be Generation X. The hippies ( my parents generation) gave their children so much and it has been an inspiration. My father was here in London as a student during the Beatles era and he loved it. Today he is always trying to catch a program on the 60s and talks about it a lot. I was a very happy teenager in the early 90s at college - great, great memories - happiest years of my young life. Anyway yes I will be seeing the Paul Klee exhibition. He does geometric abstraction and if I am correct he ages the painting by using a sandpaper technique. I did see Degas paintings. He specialized in human movement - hence the drawings of ballerinas. I saw the exhibition and the colours were incredible. I did see some excellent paintings at the Crawford Gallery in Cork and Rory did art lessons there. I love abstract art ( a love my parents passed on to me) and my first grown novel will be based on it with a fictional story. It coming along beautifully. Subrata. x I love blue monochrome abstract - i.e abstract with different shades of blue. :D
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Feb 2014, 23:08

RobertaSparrow wrote:
Tibbierocks wrote: . . .
Books and places I'd take Rory.... My first thought was I would just want to try and make him laugh... use my sense of humour to try and impress him. ... sorry it's true. I'm sure you can all guess that I would have been interested in Rory from a romantic point of view :-D . . .

:lol: :lol: you and probably just about every other woman on the forum- :lol: if we all had time machines Rory would probably go into hiding :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh poor Rory! There will be a stampede to get into the time machine. It will have to be big enough because literally trillions of women will be in it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope there is room to breathe eh? But all those female hormones racing.....Did Rory ever knew the magnetic power he had over women? I mean he obviously knew he had music magnetic power over his audience. :D :D :D :D :D

On a serious note if I met him now ( he would be 66 this year) it would have been lovely to sit with him in a pub and talk to him about books, art etc. I would show him the manuscript of my novel on IPAD. Only to him mind....i don't why but I would. It feels right. I never show my manuscript unless its to a potential publisher, editor or literary agent. I won't show it too any of my writing friends and groups. I am very protective of my manuscripts for novels and books. I will share short stories and poems but not a novel or book that i am working on. As I said before I love his intelligence and knowledge and I have a great deal of respect for my elders. Subrata. x :D
SUBY1974

Postby Flamenca » 13 Feb 2014, 02:05

I consider myself very lucky to have seen Rory play at least half a dozen times in the early 70s thanks to my boyfriend Brian at the time being a HUGE fan. I wouldn't have been able to see Rory without him. Can't say that I noticed Rory looks-wise at the time, probably because I was too engrossed with Brian :lol: . I even used to buy Jackie magazine every week in 1971 so must have seen Rory's full page centre pin up, but I don't remember noticing Rory as good looking. It was in 1976 that I remember noticing Rory's looks and thinking WOW! He was a teenage rock chick's dream. The few times I bumped into him in 1984 he was looking grown up and gorgeous. By the time I met up with him in 1988 he wasn't well. The change in him was tough to see. I'm kind of getting used to seeing pictures of him as a middle aged man, although it was quite hard at first because after 1988 he just seemed to drop off the radar. He was 45 when this photo was taken in 1993 - ten years younger than I am now. I like to remember him like this ... beautiful man with beautiful guitar ...

Rory Legend Patrick Eggle2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Feb 2014, 04:06

Flamenca wrote: . . . Can't say that I noticed Rory looks-wise at the time, probably because I was too engrossed with Brian :lol: . I even used to buy Jackie magazine every week in 1971 so must have seen Rory's full page centre pin up, but I don't remember noticing Rory as good looking. . . .

I had heard Rory when he was in Taste, didn't know who he was and envisioned a gruff, tough looking old guy by the way he played and his voice. He sounded like a much older, seasoned musician. So the first time I saw him play was at Long Beach Auditorium. My boyfriend at the time, Tim, was a drummer in a local rock band, and he and the rest of his band mates and their girlfriends and I went to see Rory play. I was nineteen at the time, and Rory was an "old man" of 25, and I remember saying to Tim, "That is Rory Gallagher?. My God, he's gorgeous!" And I may have made a few other comments. My boyfriend was actually a little ticked off after that, was absurdly a bit jealous at the time (as if any woman in the audience was going to be able to catch Rory's eye), but, hey, take a look at Rory from that era- and I was 19, not blind and not dead. I was amazed that he not only played like he did, and he was amazing to hear, but to see the man that made the music, that left an impression on me to last for decades. Even in his later years, when I see video of his concerts from the 80's and 90's, I still see the same amazing man. I can see that he is ill in those later shows, but it doesn't change how I see him. And just as so many others on the forum have said, I wish I could go back in time to try to change his path.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 13 Feb 2014, 10:59

Crikey, there's only 7 days in a week and by the sounds of it, Rory isn't going to have enough time for all those dates he's got coming his way :D All the ladies are up for some Rory love.... Actually when the question was first posed about what would you do if Rory were to reappear right now, I have confess all I could hear was Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour going through my head. I couldn't think of anything to say, do or introduce Rory to from the last couple of decades. :oops: :lol: :oops: I can be such a woman at times :oops: In all honestly if he was to appear before me right now I know what I'd do - turn bright red, start to stutter and mumble and be too shy to say anything whilst some other lady swooped in! he would think I was a complete muppet :D

The guitar has to be the main point of conversation. Over a decade ago, I bought mine and I tried so hard. I was a very serious student. I wanted to be able to master it so badly and I just didn't have what it took. My hands got messed up with blisters and I got tendonitis in my shoulder, but I just couldn't do it... never got anywhere with it. Broke my heart that did. I'm not a musician so I'd like to talk guitar with him.

90s music was great. I can't listen to a lot of it now as it takes me back to some unhappy times in my life. I was into rock music big time.

If only train fare, etc wasn't so expensive I would go and see the Paul Klee show but I can't afford or justify spending that much money to get down to london, then the underground, then the cost of the tate ticket, etc. Everything is so expensive nowadays. Taking Rory to the theatre - only it's like £23-28 per ticket where I live! I'm priced out. I might have just entertain him with my michael Jackson impressions in my living room :D
Tibbierocks

Postby Tibbierocks » 13 Feb 2014, 11:02

Flamenca wrote:I consider myself very lucky to have seen Rory play at least half a dozen times in the early 70s thanks to my boyfriend Brian at the time being a HUGE fan. I wouldn't have been able to see Rory without him. Can't say that I noticed Rory looks-wise at the time, probably because I was too engrossed with Brian :lol: . I even used to buy Jackie magazine every week in 1971 so must have seen Rory's full page centre pin up, but I don't remember noticing Rory as good looking. It was in 1976 that I remember noticing Rory's looks and thinking WOW! He was a teenage rock chick's dream. The few times I bumped into him in 1984 he was looking grown up and gorgeous. By the time I met up with him in 1988 he wasn't well. The change in him was tough to see. I'm kind of getting used to seeing pictures of him as a middle aged man, although it was quite hard at first because after 1988 he just seemed to drop off the radar. He was 45 when this photo was taken in 1993 - ten years younger than I am now. I like to remember him like this ... beautiful man with beautiful guitar ...

Rory Legend Patrick Eggle2.jpg

he looks lovely in that photo. beefcake :D very nice indeed. it's valentine's day tomorrow. Get him to call me ;)
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Feb 2014, 13:15

Tibbierocks wrote:The guitar has to be the main point of conversation. Over a decade ago, I bought mine and I tried so hard. I was a very serious student. I wanted to be able to master it so badly and I just didn't have what it took. My hands got messed up with blisters and I got tendonitis in my shoulder, but I just couldn't do it... never got anywhere with it. Broke my heart that did. I'm not a musician so I'd like to talk guitar with him. :D

In the 70s I studied guitar, was progressing okay, then let other things get in the way. But not the same kind of music as I so often listened to, I watched people like Rory play, and for him his playing is so effortless, so fluid- it comes to him naturally. If I watch naturally gifted guitarists like Rory I get discouraged. So when I was trying to learn guitar I tended to not watch him because he was so good. I would love to ask him his thought processes as he'd play- it seems as natural and effortless as breathing for the rest of us.

But one thing I remember from when I was learning- be tenacious, and practice as often as you can, but not to the point of injury, because that will only discourage you and slow you down.

I still play around with my guitars, but it's only for my own amusement, and because if I get it right, the guitar will actually sing for me.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 13 Feb 2014, 13:57

Had to wash dishes for a year to buy my Fender FC40. It had to be a Fender because Rory had one! When I told Rory about the dish washing, he found that amusing and teased me about it for quite some time :lol:
Flamenca

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome