Coming to my home town - Rory did - Classical

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Coming to my home town - Rory did - Classical

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Feb 2014, 17:16

Hi there, Jay Jay and Flamenca,

Just thought I'd chime in here with MY 2 cents-

I studied classical guitar as well. But my original question was, to your knowledge, did Rory ever play a classical guitar- A classical guitar, nylon strings, slightly wider neck, 12 frets on the neck to the body, no markers on the fret board, no pick guard (no picks with a classical, no pick guard needed).

They have a different sound, a softer sound. I know Rory wasn't classically trained, but I have watched his hands ( I am fascinated by a good guitarist's hand movements, always have been, since I was a little girl and used to watch my uncle play), and their relation to the resulting sounds the artist gets from the instrument. Rory wasn't classically trained, but he was a natural, he kept his right hand fairly relaxed when he finger-picked, he had an economy of movement in his hands, very much like classical guitarists are taught. I refer you to Irish Tour 74, where Rory explains that he isn't very good at finger picking, while finger picking during his interview. The man was modest to a fault.

And I have seen him play all manner of guitars, except I never saw him play a classical guitar. That type of guitar. Not that style of music. Although, I know if he decided to learn to play that style of music, he would master it in record time, because he was a very gifted natural born musician.

Unmilitary Two-Step
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Feb 2014, 19:21

I believe if Rory had the chance he would have learnt classical guitar. He was interested in all forms of guitar music in my opinion. I intend to learn all aspects of the acoustic guitar and I only play for my own enjoyment. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Re: Coming to my home town - Rory did!

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Feb 2014, 19:29

Tibbierocks wrote:Crikey, there's only 7 days in a week and by the sounds of it, Rory isn't going to have enough time for all those dates he's got coming his way :D All the ladies are up for some Rory love.... Actually when the question was first posed about what would you do if Rory were to reappear right now, I have confess all I could hear was Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour going through my head. I couldn't think of anything to say, do or introduce Rory to from the last couple of decades. :oops: :lol: :oops: I can be such a woman at times :oops: In all honestly if he was to appear before me right now I know what I'd do - turn bright red, start to stutter and mumble and be too shy to say anything whilst some other lady swooped in! he would think I was a complete muppet :D

The guitar has to be the main point of conversation. Over a decade ago, I bought mine and I tried so hard. I was a very serious student. I wanted to be able to master it so badly and I just didn't have what it took. My hands got messed up with blisters and I got tendonitis in my shoulder, but I just couldn't do it... never got anywhere with it. Broke my heart that did. I'm not a musician so I'd like to talk guitar with him.

90s music was great. I can't listen to a lot of it now as it takes me back to some unhappy times in my life. I was into rock music big time.

If only train fare, etc wasn't so expensive I would go and see the Paul Klee show but I can't afford or justify spending that much money to get down to london, then the underground, then the cost of the tate ticket, etc. Everything is so expensive nowadays. Taking Rory to the theatre - only it's like £23-28 per ticket where I live! I'm priced out. I might have just entertain him with my michael Jackson impressions in my living room :D

London can be an expensive place i agree with you on that. However if one looks in the right place they can get bargain deals on tickets. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Jimmy » 23 Feb 2014, 16:35

Hi Tibbierocks,
I know your pain brother. i did not discover ( mostly due to the lames that run the radio stations here in California and the states in general) Rory until I just happen to see a vynil copy of "Live in Europe" at a record store around 1999 or 2000. I thought this looks pretty cool, so I bought it took it home and during the first song, Messin' with the kid, i thought how come i never heard of this guy. I was floored.Not to mention the fact listening to them they sounded more Americana blue's that most American blues players.Seeing there Celtic names (Gallagher, McAvoy and Campbell) I was a little confused thinking "Naa, they got to be from down south or something" WRONG.Now I have ALL of his albums and He is my favorite musician of all time.
So, like you I've never seen Rory but found out several years ago he played 'The Stone' in Palo Alto CA not 2 miles from my house when I was 15 or 16. that is the ONE concert I will forever regret seeing.
Thank Donal and Daniel eternally for getting the Rory vids to us fans,
jimmy
Jimmy

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Feb 2014, 09:40

Indeed thanks to Donal and Daniel, so we can see Rory otherwise we wouldn't know what we had missed!
It's annoying because if my parents had of been into music, I could have gone as I was 10 years old. There's no age restriction on the leisure centre gigs. I would have loved it. My mum had a couple of stones albums and some 50s rock n' roll albums, which I loved, so I'm sure I would have been into Rory even at that age.
Tibbierocks

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome