Rory's Medication

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory's Medication

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Feb 2014, 16:58

Tibbierocks wrote:I don't understand the steriods. I've read Rory was on steroids. Whether or not that is true, I do not know. I wish he were still here.

Well, I know that prednisone is another drug, classed a steroid, that used to be handed out like placebos over here. It's another of those drugs that seem harmless, they aren't taken recreationally (athletes take them for other reasons), but were prescribed for allergies as well as arthritis-

When we hear steroids, a lot of people think of athletes and such, but they are used for inflammation and the like. Over time they can cause more harm than good, they wreak havoc with blood sugar levels, and they cause fluid retention. I was given Prednisone in the late '80s when I injured my knee while hiking- only for a week, and the dosage started high, and was stepped down slowly to nothing by the end of the 10th day.

I had a friend with ulcerative colitis who was given prednisone for over a year, every day, in the late 70s. It's another one of those drugs that are now much more strictly dosed, because it seems harmless but does cumulative damage over time, and weakens the immune system in the bargain..

And Annie is correct, this is more a cautionary thread- these things, IMO especially acetaminophen/paracetamol, are much more dangerous than people think, because most people don't realize how very dangerous they really are.

It's tragic that we lost Rory from this life. We can't change the past. We can learn and move on, and remember Rory for his contributions, enjoy and celebrate the music and legacy he left behind.

Let's remember the man for the great artist and gentle soul that he was/is.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 03 Feb 2014, 17:09

gee! that is bad news for anyone, but for a guitar player... or maybe that's just caused it. I really don't know. That's terrible. Poor Rory. I know it a stupid thing to say, but I, like so many others no doubt, whilst there was something back then I could have done... to help cheer him.
Tibbierocks

Postby Tom Jonas » 03 Feb 2014, 18:02

rheumatoid arthritis

I must say this makes me surprised. A rock guitarist who continued for at least 7 years after this photo was taken - and with Reumatoid Arthritis. Is this really true?
If his left hand also had marks of the disease it should have impaired his playing considerably. I am not a reumathologist, but if he had that disease perhaps steroids helped for a while.
But his future as a guitarist must have been very bleak and depressing.

Are we speculating too much about Rory's health now? Do you think we should stop this discussion??
Tom Jonas

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Feb 2014, 18:25

IMO this is a distressing topic especially for those who loved him, which is the majority of us-

Suffice to know Rory is respected and remembered, surround him with loving thoughts and memories.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 03 Feb 2014, 18:56

I did some reading about Rory a few weeks ago and I have to say I found what I read very upsetting. I can't watch him from 1985 onwards as it's too much. But yes, how long could he play with R.A in his hand? would things have been better if he'd have found love and retired? We'll never know...
Tibbierocks

Postby Tom Jonas » 03 Feb 2014, 19:21

I think the concert from 1990 at Rockpalatz (ending with a very good perfomance together with Jack Bruce) still is very enjoyable.
We have an old Swedish saying: "The One the Gods loves dies Young".
I don't know if you have something similar in British, perhaps it came from old Greece originally.
Tom Jonas

Postby Flamenca » 03 Feb 2014, 20:14

The English expression is 'Only The Good Die Young'.
Flamenca

Postby Tibbierocks » 04 Feb 2014, 09:31

On the one hand, I didn't know of Rory until roughtly 2 years ago, so I'm sad I missed seeing him live and growing up listening to him as so many of you did, but on the other hand I didn't see the final years and I'm glad about that as I know I would have wanted to help and there would have been nothing I could have done. years ago now, I liked a band and it was becoming obvious the singer was doing drugs, drinking, having a breakdown etc. I did manage to meet him one night after a show, but he was very rude and I couldn't speak to him properly. Well thanks to the internet, we struck up a friendship and I did manage to talk to him and voice all our concerns and for a while we would talk things over for several hours a night online. He's fine now and completely clean. I can't say we do chat anymore, but he's happy, healthy and in a relationship. I'm glad i had that opportunity. Knowing me, I would have wanted to have done the same for Rory.
Tibbierocks

Postby Annie Elliott » 18 Feb 2014, 15:39

Many musicians suffer from osteoarthritis.
http://www.ronankavanagh.ie/musicians-h ... -get-sore/
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 03 Mar 2014, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Feb 2014, 18:45

Annie Elliott wrote:Hmm, RA is an autoimmune disorder, often inherited and found primarily in women. Is this a known Dx for Rory?
Many musicians do suffer from osteoarthritis, and they have similar treatments: http://www.ronankavanagh.ie/musicians-h ... -get-sore/

Unfortunately both acetaminophen and corticosteroids have adverse effects on the liver.

Don't know about RA, but professional guitarists and drummers are prone to repetitive motion injuries- probably osteoarthritis- Rory used to push his body to the limits during a performance, I'd be surprised if his hands and wrists didn't suffer for it- but he was a gifted, driven artist, and you can see, especially in later performances, he's forcing himself through the pain. A beautiful man who left us too soon.

But his spirit, his soul, isn't far. :)
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome