Rory's Medication

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's Medication

Postby Tom Jonas » 01 Feb 2014, 21:47

I am a physician.
And I have always wondered what induced Rory's liver failure besides alcohol? It seems incredible to me if colleque physicians in Britain prescribed drugs that enhanced the destruction of the liver. But I realise that this is a sensitive issue.
And I have no hesitation to understand a use of some tranquilizers when playing for a crowd of 10 000 people. I would have done that myself.
Tom Jonas

Re: Rory's Medication

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Feb 2014, 12:43

Prescription strength acetaminophen/paracetamol. In the 90's they didn't have all those warnings on the boxes either. Most people don't even think twice about taking that stuff when they have a headache or aches and pains. It's in all kinds of over-the-counter stuff, too. Have a cold? Take an over-the-counter cold pill, maybe wash it down with a glass of wine? In addition to whatever form the doctors were prescribing. Professional guitarists are prone to nerve and ligament injuries in their wrists and hands- I noticed in some photos Rory had what appeared to be an elastic wrist band on his left wrist. Paracetamol doesn't upset the stomach like aspirin. Plain OTC paracetamol doesn't have any kind of narcotic, not habit forming- hell, they give it to babies. Maybe Rory thought, one or two extra would help those aches and pains. Toss a couple back with a beer. How bad can it be if it doesn't even upset your stomach?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Feb 2014, 12:59

Tom Jonas wrote:I am a physician.
And I have always wondered what induced Rory's liver failure besides alcohol? It seems incredible to me if colleque physicians in Britain prescribed drugs that enhanced the destruction of the liver. But I realise that this is a sensitive issue.
And I have no hesitation to understand a use of some tranquilizers when playing for a crowd of 10 000 people. I would have done that myself.
RobertaSparrow wrote:Prescription strength acetaminophen/paracetamol.

Hi Tom,
Rory also took in at least the last 10 years of his life I believe, a great deal of sleeping tablets because of his insomnia at night. (Lonely Mile)
Does taking these tranquilizers / sleeping tablets also after drinking alcohol damage the liver?
Jay Jay

Postby photofinish » 02 Feb 2014, 19:05

I understand this i a sensitive issue...and something i don't really think should be on here..though i respect everyone's opinion...all i will say on the topic is..i sat up all night in a Belfast hotel with Donal in 2006....wot was spoken about was private...and i have no intention of discussing it on here...but what i will say is...what's been posted is way off the mark...like i say i respect ur opinions...i wont add or reply anymore to this...
photofinish

Postby Annie Elliott » 02 Feb 2014, 19:11

The only one I'm aware of that is hepatotoxic is paracetamol.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 03 Mar 2014, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Feb 2014, 20:30

photofinish wrote:I understand this i a sensitive issue...and something i don't really think should be on here..though i respect everyone's opinion...all i will say on the topic is..i sat up all night in a Belfast hotel with Donal in 2006....wot was spoken about was private...and i have no intention of discussing it on here...but what i will say is...what's been posted is way off the mark...like i say i respect ur opinions...i wont add or reply anymore to this...

I understand it is a sensitive issue, and I don't pretend to know what went on in private, and more than anything it is not my intent to cause Rory's family any more pain than they have already endured.

I don't like Rory being vilified, judged harshly, or disrespected. I believe it is unfair and not warranted, and I believe Donal did all he knew to help him. I don't want to delve into the subject on this public forum, suffice to say I've heard enough, people who knew people, say this or that, were there, knew someone who was there, I don't care. I have my own opinions, based on what little I know, and I have a familiarity with some of those causes and medications. Rory was very ill, he died too young. He was so very talented, so gifted, a good man who deserved much better from this life than he got.

Photofinish, it is great that you knew Rory. That you spent time with Donal. So many on these forums have. That is great.

But I will repeat, Rory was ill, he died much too young. "There but for the grace of God go I" and any one of us who have ever drank too much, or took prescription meds without knowing enough about what they do or how they interact, or those of us who, unlike Rory, took illegal and recreational drugs back in the day. And we know who we are!
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tom Jonas » 03 Feb 2014, 13:27

I appreciate that most of you consider this a private and sensitive issue.
It is not out of some slandering curisosity I asked, it was only from a professional view, being a physician. I almost expected my request to be deleted, which I would have completely respected.
As far as I know, without consulting my textbooks, no tranquilizers or sleeping pills are known for being specific liver-toxic. So it must have been paracetamol /acetaminophen and alcohol.
Paracetamol is a nasty drug. The therpeutic doses are very narrow. Not uncommon with young people who thinks it has some narcotic effect and takes 10 or 12 tablets (and alcohol), which could be a potential liver destructive dose, requiring intensive care.
The antiinflammatory drugs, such as Ibubrufen (or whatever it is called in Britain) could be damaging for the heart. Some of the Sudden Deaths among football players might be attributed to the heart effect of these drugs.

We all feel the loss of one of the perhaps three greatest rock-guitarist ever, and who could have gone on for another 20 years giving us more of his fantastic skill. If he still would have had the inspiration!
Just take a look at Eric Clapton.
Tom Jonas

Postby Tibbierocks » 03 Feb 2014, 14:13

I don't understand the steriods. I've read Rory was on steroids. Whether or not that is true, I do not know. I wish he were still here.
Tibbierocks

Postby Tom Jonas » 03 Feb 2014, 14:38

Steroids were probably given as one of the treatments for the liver failure.
Tom Jonas

Postby Flamenca » 03 Feb 2014, 15:45

rheumatoid arthritis - look at the knuckle joints on the little and middle finger of his right hand ... paracetamol and corticosteroids used to treat it.

Rory London 1988.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamenca

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome