Rory in the U.S.A., the Invisible Man?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory in the U.S.A., the Invisible Man?

Postby Jimmy » 29 Jan 2014, 00:42

Jay Jay,
I talked to a photographer named Jon Lovick a few years ago. He has shot alot of acts in the LA area. He said Rory did a week at the Whiskeyagogo. He said the first day there were about 12 people there and Rory played like there was 12000 people there.Word of mouth spread and by the end of the week the place was packed. Rory played in the 80's only about 2 or 3 miles from my house at The Stone in palo Alto. I missed it, never heard about it on the radio and i wasnt aware of Rory back then.( thanks to the lame people who ran the "Radio stations" back then). Kills me every time I think about what i missed.
Alot of the true guitar players around here know of Rory.I asked a guy with a Gibson hat on the other day if he knew who Rory was and he put his hands up in the air and made the sounds of angels singing. He mention his brother plays drums for Elvin Bishop

Cheers Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby Jay Jay » 29 Jan 2014, 20:40

Jimmy wrote:Alot of the true guitar players around here know of Rory.I asked a guy with a Gibson hat on the other day if he knew who Rory was and he put his hands up in the air and made the sounds of angels singing. He mention his brother plays drums for Elvin Bishop

Thank you so much my brother in Rory for the info re Rory gigs and especially this lovely Rory story :)

" He put his hands in the air and made the sounds of angels singing " This I must admit, brought a tear to my eye

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Jan 2014, 17:53

Jimmy wrote:Jay Jay,
I talked to a photographer named Jon Lovick a few years ago. He has shot alot of acts in the LA area. He said Rory did a week at the Whiskeyagogo. He said the first day there were about 12 people there and Rory played like there was 12000 people there.Word of mouth spread and by the end of the week the place was packed. Rory played in the 80's only about 2 or 3 miles from my house at The Stone in palo Alto. I missed it, never heard about it on the radio and i wasnt aware of Rory back then.( thanks to the lame people who ran the "Radio stations" back then). Kills me every time I think about what i missed.
Alot of the true guitar players around here know of Rory.I asked a guy with a Gibson hat on the other day if he knew who Rory was and he put his hands up in the air and made the sounds of angels singing. He mention his brother plays drums for Elvin Bishop

Cheers Jimmy

Had a similar experience up here- it always surprises me a bit when I come across others who know of Rory. At my new job, I was working with a very young man who was helping me with all the different computer programs that I need to learn. He was wearing a vintage shirt with "Fender Telecaster" logo and image printed on it. I complemented him on his shirt, and he told me Telecasters were his favorite guitar, and I mentioned that early last year, when I had first thought about going to Ireland- you all know why- I had told my daughter if she would come with me I would buy her a Tele from Crowley's music store in Cork (I'm kinda afraid to travel so far alone) as a kind of bribe to accompany me on my journey. And that is how I discovered that this young guitarist, and the supervisor who led me there, had both heard of Rory, and spoke highly of his music. I never would have thought . . .
RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome