Rory's reading

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's reading

Postby Annie Elliott » 14 Jan 2014, 00:32

I posted this, probably mistakenly, in the 'books' section so I'm reposting here with a little more explication.

"I have the great poster of Rory's beloved strat, and was looking over his library too. He had great taste in books! There are a few books outside of the spy genre, and Brian Moore's 'The Lonely Passion of Judity Hearne' caught my eye so I've been reading it, and what a lovely read it is. Anyway, on page 49 of my book is the following sentence: "All a million miles away from what he knew." I wonder if Rory found any inspiration from this for his great song with similar lyrics?

One of the many things I love about Rory's songs and lyrics is the literary quality he developed. Not many songwriters have this, I think Jimi did, and Dylan of course. Is there anyone who knew Rory who ever talked to him about his reading? It would be so interesting to hear about other peoples' thoughts on his interests in books, including any thoughts on Patricia Hightower. Such a wickedly clever, wonderful writer and an equally wonderful songwriter and musician."
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Re: Rory's reading

Postby Tibbierocks » 20 Jan 2014, 12:03

Talking of books, I'm currently reading The Talented Mr Ripley because of Rory and very good it is too. I would love to see a list of all the books Rory owned as I'm a huge book worm too.
Tibbierocks

Postby Annie Elliott » 26 Jan 2014, 23:27

I know, I wish Donal would make it public!
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jan 2014, 00:05

I'd be curious to see a more complete list as well. But those books are probably packed away, and I know how that is, to try to catalog and inventory items in storage- the sort of thing for an intern or volunteer to do. I'd volunteer to do it but the logistics amongst other things are impossible. . .
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibor77 » 31 Jan 2014, 00:13

I do not have that Stratocaster poster with the books as I do not have room for such big poster. Can you give me some titles/authors Rory used to read? Thank you.
Tibor77

Postby RobertaSparrow » 31 Jan 2014, 03:04

Tibor77 wrote:I do not have that Stratocaster poster with the books as I do not have room for such big poster. Can you give me some titles/authors Rory used to read? Thank you.

JimLed did this for me before mine arrived:

so I could read the titles :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibor77 » 31 Jan 2014, 21:12

Thank you very much Roberta, from what I could see Rory had a very good taste. The only problem I have is that the image is somehow cropped, ie. if I zoom it, I cannot really read anything, only a few titles. Can you send me the original photo via email? Again, thanks a lot.
Tibor77

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Feb 2014, 01:49

Tibor77 wrote:Thank you very much Roberta, from what I could see Rory had a very good taste. The only problem I have is that the image is somehow cropped, ie. if I zoom it, I cannot really read anything, only a few titles. Can you send me the original photo via email? Again, thanks a lot.

JimLED did the imaging on that, so he has the actual file- I merely copied from what he posted (thanks Jim, the photo came out very nice, and probably encouraged a few more of us to buy it- Rory's life-sized Strat and all!)

Actually what might work better, is if I copy the titles and authors from the poster itself-it's to scale, and except for the books blocked by Rory's Strat, I can read most of them. Give me a little while to do that, but I will.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibor77 » 02 Feb 2014, 21:24

Thank you very much Roberta, but take your time, no need to hurry if you have other things to do. But again, thank you.
Tibor77

Postby Tibbierocks » 03 Feb 2014, 14:10

I, too, would like to see what books were on the shelves, so thank you Roberta, that would be fab.
Talking of Rory's book, I read last week the lonely passion of Judith Hearne. I couldn't help but wonder how much of that book Rory related to. An excellent read, but it did make me think about rory in his final years.
Tibbierocks

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome