Best drummer?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Best drummer?

Postby Tom Jonas » 11 Jan 2014, 14:27

I have hust joined this Forum and wonder who was considered the best drummer amon all you experts?
De'Ath is very interesting to see at work, but my favourite would be Brendan O'Neill.
Tom Jonas

Re: Best drummer?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Jan 2014, 21:38

Well, my opinion (the opinion of a non-expert, garden variety fan), I liked his first post-Taste drummer, Wilgar Campbell. No disrespect to the others.
RobertaSparrow

Postby no_noise_reduction » 12 Jan 2014, 10:56

Wilgar Campbell would be my choice, also. I tend to prefer traditional grip drummers.
Among the drummers of Rory's solo career he is my favorite.
no_noise_reduction

Postby Flamenca » 19 Jan 2014, 18:53

Had to think about this for about a nanosecond :lol: Rod every time, although my trusty fall back album 'Ella abraca Jobim (OK it's easy listening but hell, it's probably the best easy listening album of ALL TIME ;) ) features two of my other favourite drummers / percussion - Alex Acuna and Paulino da Costa, along with my joint favourite guitarist Joe Pass :shock: Sorry Rory - if you looking down ... I love his playing as much as yours :mrgreen:
Flamenca

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Jan 2014, 21:39

I have heard Brendan O'Neil playing and Ted Mckenna. I would like to hear Richard Newman's playing. I love Ted Mckenna's drumming the most as I like that deep Jon Bonham school of drumming. I do like Rod De ath as well. All the drummers in Rory's band were fantastic but my favourite is Ted and no disrespect to the other drummers in Rory's band. They all contributed to Rory's amazing music sound and should praised for that. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 19 Jan 2014, 23:37

SUBY1974 wrote:I have heard Brendan O'Neil playing and Ted Mckenna. I would like to hear Richard Newman's playing. I love Ted Mckenna's drumming the most as I like that deep Jon Bonham school of drumming. I do like Rod De ath as well. All the drummers in Rory's band were fantastic but my favourite is Ted and no disrespect to the other drummers in Rory's band. They all contributed to Rory's amazing music sound and should praised for that. Subrata. x

Richard Newman here in this clip-

Doing his best for Rory :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 20 Jan 2014, 11:59

I always like to watch/hear Rod De'ath. I'm not a drummer, so whether he's actually the best, I couldn't say.
Tibbierocks

Postby jenniferj » 23 Jan 2014, 14:54

I loved Wilgar Campbell's drumming, but Rod De'Ath is my favourite. He's a very busy drummer. Ted McKenna is a much heavier drummer and that suits a lot of Rory's songs later. They all had such different styles, and I enjoy them all.
Jennifer
jenniferj

Postby JimLED » 23 Jan 2014, 19:23

My choice:

1. Ted
2. Wilgar
3. Rod

Ted is my favorite.

Just listen to at 3-30 --- 4-00!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Tom Jonas » 25 Jan 2014, 20:11

I think that in every DVD Ted McKenna is sort of anonymous. You hardly notice him or his playing. de'Ath is great to watch and he is good, but I think Brendan O'Neill had the most distinct and powerful beat. But that might be the equipment (his various drums seems to me to be bigger) or the the recordings.
Tom Jonas

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome