Update on Rory's Music on Video Games

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Update on Rory's Music on Video Games

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Jan 2014, 18:11

Update: April 23, 2014

Here's an update-

I've been going on ad nauseum for a while now about getting Rory's music on some of the video game platforms, to get his music out there to new audiences. Well, unbeknownst to me, Daniel was already looking into it. But the current agreement with Sony does not allow Rory's company to license Rory's tracks to game developers. Perhaps when the agreement is re-negotiated next year that can be remedied.

I will spare everyone my usual rant about the stuffed suits that call the shots in the "music entertainment industry." And thank you Daniel and Donal, I know you have Rory's best interests at heart. So I shoulda known, you already saw these options . . . 8-)

And fingers crossed, maybe a prayer or two for good measure, the music will be available in the near future . . . :mrgreen:

----------

Happy New Year!

I hope Donal or Daniel see this- (especially Daniel- you're probably into computers, maybe even gaming? As well as a guitarist- so What do you think?)

I was playing with my new Christmas toy and started to think about Rory's music and how back in the day when I'd see him, there were always an inordinate amount of musicians (mostly- you guessed it- guitar players) in the audience. From Rory's earliest days in Taste up to the very end, he could dazzle us with his prowess on guitar. And he inspired so many- still does.

There have been tab books, video tutorials, and on YouTube a wealth of "how to" lessons on Rory's music, but he was always under the radar to the mainstream, at least here in America. But not to musicians, not to people who are really into guitar- even here in middle-of-nowhere Oregon, guitarists know of him. There is a subset of guitarists who also are into gaming- video gaming.

A few years back there was a short-lived fad among gamers- computer games based on rock music- plastic toy controllers shaped like guitars; "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band." An annoying little hobby (sorry gamers, but my daughter had one, and I thought it would drive me mad). Finally someone put two and two together though, and now there are computer programs inspired by that silliness, but can actually teach guitar.

For Christmas I got a video game, RockSmith 2014. My daughter's into gaming, so I have one of those consoles hooked up to my TV & sound system. I've been toying with it a bit, and it's quite fun, really. It is similar to DDR in the way it works, but instead of dancing, you use play guitar, with your own (has to be electric) guitar. It's a computer program that uses the actual master tapes from famous and not so famous rock bands, and with the aid of a visual display similar to those rather silly plastic guitar predecessor games, it can actually help someone learn to play. The program adjusts the difficulty level based on how well a person plays, and the difficulty level increases a little each time.

There are a lot of tunes available to it. I think if Donal or Daniel were to work with them, this is one avenue that could really open Rory's music up to a whole new generation- think how well something like Morning Sun, Shinkicker, or Cruise On Out would work- would grab the young, up and coming guitarists. And if they learned to play the guitar that way, I think Rory would be pleased, too. In a sense, they'd be learning to play his music- in a way, Rory would be teaching, something that he used to love to do- show people how he did it!

Here's an example, how it works:
RockSmith 2014- Def Leppard-

RockSmith 2014- Aerosmith Walk This Way

RockSmith- Metallica Whiskey In The Jar

RockSmith-2014 Guns 'N Roses Sweet Child O Mine (I hate that song, but everyone else loves it)
RobertaSparrow

Re: An Idea to Promote Rory's Music

Postby JimLED » 03 Jan 2014, 00:49

RobertaSparrow wrote:Happy New Year!
I hope Donal or Daniel see this- (especially Daniel- you're probably into computers, maybe even gaming?)

I had read this as " gambling" :D

Yes, Cynthia, this is very good idea. Also, I dream to have the game where I need to meet Rory or to go step by step of his way ... something 70e era related and mainly music oriented, like to be virtually at the gigs and fests...to feel the atmosphere.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Jan 2014, 00:57

JimLED wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:Happy New Year!
I hope Donal or Daniel see this- (especially Daniel- you're probably into computers, maybe even gaming?)

I had read this as " gambling" :D

Yes, Cynthia, this is very good idea. Also, I dream to have the game where I need to meet Rory or to go step by step of his way ... something 70e era related and mainly music oriented, like to be virtually at the gigs and fests...to feel the atmosphere.

It's fun to play with, and you can't help but learn. If Rory's music was available, especially the Taste stuff, not only would kids really be learning from the best, but it would get Rory's music out to the youngest ones- the ones who will be center front for the next generation. And I'd love to see Rory's music move back into the spotlight again. Plus, like I said, Rory always seemed to enjoy teaching and showing people, he didn't "keep secrets" as far as his playing- he encouraged everyone who was interested to learn, so I think this would be a fitting step up for his legacy. (Best to train them when they are young :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I'd want to see this one available-

Just think of the possibilities
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 03 Jan 2014, 10:12

Funnily enough, I had the same thought a few days ago. Rock band games. Need to get some Rory songs on those.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Jan 2014, 16:46

Yes, especially now that those games have evolved to actually becoming learning devices rather than toys- sort of as you would compare an old pong-style video game from way back to one like Portal, something with actual spatial and cognitive progression- video games have evolved into actual learning tools.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band were more cartoonish- a toy, and for its target audience/participation I don't think Rory's music would garner much attention. Those toy type rock games are much more geared to "top 40" or mainstream stuff.

But I think there could be a real resurgence of Rory's music through these real, teaching guitar games. People who have sought out that avenue to enhance their skills tend to be more into the quality of the music- the prowess of the original musician. I think it would be much better suited to Rory's guitar techniques. And as I said, I really think he would be satisfied (I hope he would be proud of) the use of his music in that venue, if it got more kids into playing guitar.

I've played around with RockSmith a bit, it's fun, and the emphasis is more on actual learning and less on mimicking and the like- better suited to music like The Beatles and such, where kids use plastic game controllers shaped like guitars and pretend.

There are a couple of actual learning games that are just now catching the eye of the serious gamers/subset future musicians- RockSmith, which is fun, but can be a tad confusing if you have any experience using more conventional guitar tablature, the graphics and the numbers that flash across the screen are more familiar to die hard gamers. But you do learn from it.

There's another platform, which I have never used, Bandfuse, which is more of a serious approach to learning- I think it would seem more logical to someone who is familiar with guitar and maybe new to the video game environment- I have to admit, it looks much more logical, but doesn't have the flash and noise that more traditional games have- so would appeal less to the younger ones.

Either platform would be good. But from a more legitimate learning perspective, BandFuse would be better suited to serious learning. In fact, after watching the demos, I might get that one to try out.

Regardless- I Think Rory's Music Belongs There!

Bandfuse- Reptilia- The Strokes

Bandfuse- Hendrix- Fire

Bandfuse- Wolfmother- Woman
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 18 Jan 2014, 18:44

What a great idea!
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Jan 2014, 21:36

Really good idea. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Re: Daniel G, Please Read, Idea to Promote Rory's Music

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Apr 2014, 15:28

An Idea to Promote Rory's Music AND the Isle of Wight film

Rory's music (especially Taste, think Isle of Wight)

Imagine If the Isle of Wight Audio Tracks were on BandFuse or RockSmith-

:mrgreen: I changed the title of the thread a bit, because, well, I want to put this idea out there one more time. I think Rory can be rediscovered by the young, tech savy young musicians, students, and even gamers through this venue. And I know, I can be a pest if I think I have an idea that ought to be considered,

I apologize if this seems too aggressive, but . . . Hey Look At This . . . Rory's music (especially Taste, think Isle of Wight) . . . maybe the powers that be, i.e. the suits that own the movie rights, might see the value in helping get that out as a movie IF Rory's audio performance, that Rory's estate does own, were to be available on Bandfuse or RockSmith-

Daniel and Donal, Please Please Please, give this a looking at:

BTW, this clip features a short interview by Rory fan, Slash, who apparently is working with BandFuse. I bet he could help with such a project.

And RockSmith-
because it is gaining popularity-

And now, comedy relief- a guitarist and his favorite critic-

Much love and respect to the fans, friends, and family of Rory 8-)
and especially to you Rory . . .
-RobertaSparrow
RobertaSparrow

Re: DANIEL GALLAGHER ~ Please Read, Idea to Promote Rory's M

Postby Jay Jay » 23 Apr 2014, 19:38

Hiya Cynthia,

At least you know now Daniel has read about your great idea, to promote Rory and his music, In this way..
Can you inform everyone here about Daniel's reply and his restrictions at present with this idea.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: DANIEL GALLAGHER ~ Please Read, Idea to Promote Rory's M

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Apr 2014, 20:51

Jay Jay wrote:Hiya Cynthia,

At least you know now Daniel has read about your great idea, to promote Rory and his music, In this way..
Can you inform everyone here about Daniel's reply and his restrictions at present with this idea.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

I will, but first I have to think how best to do this and not mess things up worse. I tend to fly off the handle :lol:
Thanks Daniel, I didn't realize, but I shoulda 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome