What's Going On ~ Your RORY CHRISTMAS Wish List?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: What's Going On ~ Your RORY Christmas Wish List?

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Dec 2013, 22:21

RobertaSparrow wrote:
JimLED wrote:Cynthia!

Yes, it's really great! How big is it on the wall?

Also, special for you I made resizing of it. Now, you can find all Rory books on shelves! :D

Thanks Jim,
If Suby has a secret Santa out there, I bet she would like that poster too :mrgreen:

I just ordered it earlier today, not sure of the size, but I already have a space on the wall picked out for it :)

Sorry for the late reply Cynthia. I have seen this poster before and I would love to have one no doubt about it. :mrgreen: I have the the Jean Noel Coghe book and the picture of Rory's bookshelf in it and seeing this poster makes me realise how much he loved books and knew the power of reading. I am self confessed bookaholic,book addict, and book junkie. My family and friends "What do you want for Christmas?" "Ooh I will have a book please" When I got my membership for British Library i was so excited that I was ringing Simon in excitement. It meant more to me then when I got my degree from Uni. :lol: :lol: Even better when I applied for the British Library membership the lady asked me if I was a published author. I said yes and they fast tracked my membership. They brought up my first book on the computer and I was even more excited. :D :D Looking at this photo Rory had loads and loads of books wow wow wow. I could spend all day browsing through his bookshelf. My bookshelf is my best friend. :lol: :lol: Sorry on a serious note was this picture taken in Rory's flat in Holywood Road, Chiswick? I believe so. To add further for my Rory Christmas Wishlist I already have Kickback City package. I would like the rest of Rory album releases and his autograph. If I was bolder I would love to own a book that belonged to him but the poster will do. :mrgreen:

I was thinking of sticking book stickers all over my acoustic guitar and ukulele and when I was at the Ballyshannon Festival I was looking passed Susie's shoulder at the Rory Exhibition and saw a beautiful artwork which showed books and the caption "Book Lover Never Go To Bed Alone", in other words we go to bed and read a book. Its like a large wooden sign. I bought it and showed it to Jay Jay, if Jay Jay remembers. Showed it to Jamie of Top Priority as well. I read a book for most of that trip and Susie was like "Come on Suby put the book away".

Its true in times of darkness writing and books got me through. Subrata. x I will post a picture here soon of a magnificent library in Spain which i really want to visit.

Books Wash Away From The Soul the Dust of Everyday life.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Dec 2013, 22:32

Hmm just spotted something interesting. I read Rory never read Ian Rankins books? Well how come on the second shelf from the top on the right hand side of his guitar ( love of his life) not the first book but the second book it say Ian Rankin on the spine? Has anyone spotted it? He must have read Ian Rankins books then if not at least browsed through it. Subrata. x Oh I can clearly see "Philby" there. Oh Rory I would loved to have browsed through your bookshelf. Its exciting. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Mandyl » 12 Dec 2013, 22:41

I did reply to Cynthia's post on another thread about wondering whether this was Rory's bookshelf. Reading what you have said above I now have my doubts. Although I know he had read about Philby I think this may be a 'put-together' bookcase. I would love it to be his though, can anyone enlighten us? Please?

I think that is a great story about your British Library membership, you must have been so proud! Deservedly so :) I went for a tour of the BL recently as part of the Open University History Society, we were taken behind the scenes and showed how it all works, it was brilliant!
Mandyl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Dec 2013, 23:39

SUBY1974 wrote:Hmm just spotted something interesting. I read Rory never read Ian Rankins books? Well how come on the second shelf from the top on the right hand side of his guitar ( love of his life) not the first book but the second book it say Ian Rankin on the spine? Has anyone spotted it? He must have read Ian Rankins books then if not at least browsed through it. Subrata. x Oh I can clearly see "Philby" there. Oh Rory I would loved to have browsed through your bookshelf. Its exciting. Subrata. x

---------------

Post by Mandyl » 12 Dec 2013, 14:41
I did reply to Cynthia's post on another thread about wondering whether this was Rory's bookshelf. Reading what you have said above I now have my doubts. Although I know he had read about Philby I think this may be a 'put-together' bookcase. I would love it to be his though, can anyone enlighten us? Please?
-------------

Yes, I noticed that as well, although Ian Rankin had some books published before Rory passed, and I've no doubt Rory would have loved his writing, I also think the photo is staged, although I've no doubt it is based on Rory's collection, and I'd like to think they are his actual books. Seems to me I read somewhere that Donal said many of Rory's crime/espionage/mystery books were packed away in boxes. Would be nice if either Donal or Daniel could speak to that question- is that poster really a photo of Rory's collection, or consists of a representation of Rory's books, or is it a staged photo entirely consisting of what anyone's semi-educated guess would be of what Rory might have read?

I think the photo is of the real Strat though. I hope it is. :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Dec 2013, 00:01

Mandyl wrote:I did reply to Cynthia's post on another thread about wondering whether this was Rory's bookshelf. Reading what you have said above I now have my doubts. Although I know he had read about Philby I think this may be a 'put-together' bookcase. I would love it to be his though, can anyone enlighten us? Please?

I think that is a great story about your British Library membership, you must have been so proud! Deservedly so :) I went for a tour of the BL recently as part of the Open University History Society, we were taken behind the scenes and showed how it all works, it was brilliant!

My first book was just a leg through the publishing door. Since then I have learnt a lot as a writer and I am now reading my work at writing gigs. Just recently I was offered an internal job through my work and this will be based in Camden, North London. I was pleased by the success of my interview but it will be nicer to be nearer North and East London because that is where most of the bookclubs and writing cafes are based. I can go straight after work now rather then travelling all the way into London from Hertfordshire where I work at present. In fact they say East London is the most cultural and creative place in Europe! Only a year a go I was saying I need to be in North London area and hey presto Universe answered my prayers. There was huge competition for the job role but i got it. I hope fate is on my side. I feel I am becoming an emotional writer as my consciousness opens up and I hope their will be a rawness in my writing that people can feel. The feedback I get at writing gigs has been good and they say when I read out my work I act it out well through my reading. Those acting lessons are paying off :D I have also learnt how to promote a book now and what to do independently etc. I would work in a library ( my ambition once at school was to be a librarian) but the jobs aren't secure at present. Also I love to work with people. My plan is to release two books in the next two years. It is lovely when Barbara Towell whose novel A Piece For Mother that is becoming a success said I am "gifted as a writer".I would love to do a proper tour of British Library and also i love signing my autograph in books. :D

Anyway whatever happens writing and reading will always be my passion forever. :mrgreen:

It does look like the poster was done to promote Kickback City but I do believe they are Rory's books.
SUBY1974

Re: What's Going On ~ Your RORY CHRISTMAS Wish List?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Dec 2013, 20:58

I'd like for Rory to be inducted into the R&RHoF, have the airport in Cork named for him, and to have the Black Keys and Jack White, without each other's knowledge or approval, both record a different Rory composition and turn it into a mega-hit. I think I'd prefer to hear Jack White record Could Have Had Religion.

And I'd like to win the lottery if it's not too inconvenient :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby leprechaun1 » 15 Dec 2013, 00:04

my wife let me know she ordered the Rory Gallagher his life and times book for me. WOOOHOOO! and she's going to get me a telecaster( white 60's classic series 'cause Rory had one) after the first of the the year because i've been a good boy this year.
leprechaun1

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Dec 2013, 23:19

leprechaun1 wrote:WOOOHOOO! and she's going to get me a telecaster( white 60's classic series 'cause Rory had one) after the first of the the year because i've been a good boy this year.

Hey Leprechaun, don't count your chickens.. Let's hope your RORY wish comes true..
Then you will be, not just a good boy.. but a "lucky boy" too :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 15 Dec 2013, 23:29

Jay Jay wrote:
leprechaun1 wrote:WOOOHOOO! and she's going to get me a telecaster( white 60's classic series 'cause Rory had one) after the first of the the year because i've been a good boy this year.

Hey Leprechaun, don't count your chickens.. Let's hope your RORY wish comes true..
Then you will be, not just a good boy.. but a "lucky boy" too :)

Fogerty sang "It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one." ))
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby leprechaun1 » 16 Dec 2013, 23:55

no chickens hatching here, at least not yet. she knows how much i love my guitars and i've had my eye on that tele for quite some time. i still have to wait a few months. it will probably end up being an anniversary present(22 yrs). but , hey she got me the book i wanted.
leprechaun1

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome