Rory at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Dec 2013, 21:46

I found this video clip on YouTube- Rory's Huntington Beach performance, 1991 8-)
-------------------
Posted on YouTube by the same person who posted the vid of Rory at the Gutherie Theater in MN, "Bilbo Blues." Thank you, whoever you are (I presume you look in on Rory's forum now and then. After all, why wouldn't you?).

00:00 Continental Op
00:06:20 Moonchild
00:10:27 I Wonder Who
00:19:40 The Loop
00:22:35 Tattoo'd Lady
00:28:40 Off The Handle
00:36:11 Shinkicker
00:39:40 A Million Miles Away
00:46:46 Kid Gloves
00:51:35 Out On The Western Plain (note- you can't get much further west than Huntington Beach ;) )
00:57:07 Walking Blues
01:02:42 Pistol Slapper Blues
01:07:44 Laundromat
01:10:52 Bad Penny
01:16:10 Don't Start Me Talking (he drifts into a medley of Revolution, Jailhouse Rock, . . . )
01:25:01 Messing With The Kid
"Rory Rory Rory Rory . . ."
01:30:30 Mean Disposition (he brings out the Corvette)
and, booo, hissss, the video ends :cry: :evil: :twisted:

The old club, The Golden Bear, back in its heyday, hosted some wonderful artists. The club was right across from the Huntington Beach Pier, and Huntington Beach was known for that club almost as much as it was for its surfing subculture.

It was a fairly small club, an old building with lots of personality which, of course had to be torn down and replaced by a newer building (seismic concerns?), and the new one sat on the same site, was renamed Pepper's Golden Bear.

This show would have happened a year after I moved to Oregon. I wish to God I had seen him there. I came across the clip last night, perusing YouTube when I should have been sleeping.

Of course, the video isn't the best quality, and the audience is typically Southern California loud and rowdy, but they're not heckling Rory, they're cheering and enjoying every minute with him. Still, the crowd is noisy enough where the mic is that I wish it was possible to tell them to shut the hell up.

This incarnation of the Golden Bear looks every bit as intimate as the old club- Not a bad seat in the house- Now that would have been the best kind of place to see Rory- fully in his element, in a club. He plays The Strat for most of it, but he uses his Telecaster, that Takemine acoustic, and at one point he plays the Gretsch Corvette.

Rory's Strat sounds right at home there, in Huntington Beach- and if anyone has the opinion that Rory was past his prime or any of that B.S. I would direct them to Rory's lead guitar on Shinkicker.

And of course he does his acoustic set, my favorite part of a Rory performance. I wish the video here was better quality- watching him play his acoustic is as much fun as hearing it, and he always looks so happy, content, when he does.

When he picks up his electric again, people in the audience start shouting different song titles at him. I don't know if he intended to play it all along, but I suspect he heard someone, because he launches into Laundromat :)

Before he launches into Messing With The Kid, he mentioned that it had been 6-7 years since he had been to Southern California, and said he hoped it wouldn't be so long before he would be back. :(

Ever the consummate musician, he comes back out for an encore, but the tape ends abruptly before what I'm sure would have been a typical Rory finale.

Dear, sweet Rory. . . we miss you :)

-----------------
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 22:07

Thank you Cynthia for great vid!

But! 1991? As I know McAvoy left Rory in 1990. Correct me :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Dec 2013, 22:31

JimLED wrote:Thank you Cynthia for great vid!

Hi Jim, you've rightly corrected me in introductions section with Tina, thanks :)
I'll have to remind you and correct you here.. Gerry did go back for a short while and a few more gigs with Rory in the USA in 1991 ;)

Hi Cynthia, funny you mention that gig above used to be a Beach club for surfers..
By a strange coincidence on ebay just today I saw these for sale :)

Rory Surfboard.JPG

Rock & Surf On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 22:47

Jay Jay wrote:Hi Jim, you've rightly corrected me in introductions section with Tina, thanks :)
I'll have to remind you and correct you here.. Gerry did go back for a short while and a few more gigs with Rory in the USA in 1991 ;)

You're welcome :D

Now, thank to you. Where I can read about this 1991 USA tour?
jim
JimLED

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 22:51

Jay Jay wrote:By a strange coincidence on ebay just today I saw these for sale :)

I think this thing from the seller who missed his shirt on Rory's monument :D
ImageImage
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Dec 2013, 22:53

JimLED wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:Hi Jim, you've rightly corrected me in introductions section with Tina, thanks :)

You're welcome :D

Now, thank to you. Where I can read about this 1991 USA tour?
jim

No problem, just scroll down near bottom of the timeline here http://www.roryon.com/time.html

30th March 1991.. Gerry & Brendan last gig with Rory @ Marquee in New York City ;)
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Dec 2013, 23:12

JimLED wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:By a strange coincidence on ebay just today I saw these for sale :)

I think this thing from the seller who missed his shirt on Rory's monument :D
ImageImage

Hey Jim, Rory certainly does not need a surfboard..

As you can see from Rory statue pic.. RORY walks on water ;)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Dec 2013, 23:12

Much as I hate revisiting it, because it always upsets me, and I have way too much on my plate at the moment to be upset about :) I refer back to Gerry's literary masterpiece, Riding Shotgun, p.259

Regarding his decision to turn on his heels and walk out on Rory:

". . . One Sunday evening in November 1990 . . . I said 'Donal, I've been thinking a lot about my situation in the band. I think I want out . . . And so does Brendan.' . . . [Donal] was a little taken aback because lots of things had been set up to promote Fresh Evidence. . .

I will skip over the whole sucker-punch description of Gerry's little ambush, where Rory's band decided to bail on him, along with Gerry's "poor me" diatribe.

Page 261 of Gerry's book,

". . . Rory contacted me after a few days and asked if we'd be available for the UK leg of the world tour [to promote Fresh Evidence] . . . again cleverly keeping us on a hook as far as the foreign dates were concerned . . .[Page 262] . . . In all honesty I would probably have been happier if he'd called to say he wouldn't be needing us . . . we had promised to fulfill the commitments and both felt duty bound to do so."

So that would put the timeline of events post Gerry's bailing to the beginning of 1991- Rory believed he needed him for the Fresh Evidence tour, and that commenced at the beginning of 1991.

Imagine how hard that was for Rory- after all he had been through with Taste and its management, with the record companies, then to have the one musician whom he had picked up out of relative obscurity, and took along for what, 20 years? bail on him when he thought he saw greener pastures, and who now makes his living off the same man's music . . . Having to tour with someone who had already dumped him, and was doing Rory a favor?

But I digress . . .
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 23:34

Agreed, Cynthia.
I have this book, but I didn't read it yet. Becouse, I know there is a half of true; there's again about Gerry's women (like at a clip of BOF that I have seen a couple days ago, where Gerry start saying a long prelude.... long story about how he met a girl at dressroom etc... and last his words been: "and she has tattoo on her shoulder! .. Tatto'd Lady!..(Marcel starts intro) ) so... it's realy hard to read about this time of Rory. But he was a strong and found a power to continue and to find new members!
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Dec 2013, 11:37

Jay Jay wrote:

Hi Jim, you've rightly corrected me in introductions section with Tina, thanks :)

Hi Cynthia, funny you mention that gig above used to be a Beach club for surfers..
By a strange coincidence on ebay just today I saw these for sale :)

Rory Surfboard.JPG

Rock & Surf On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

Hi Jay Jay,

That's a skate board there, with the Rory picture. :) It kinda looks like a surf board though.
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome