Hi from (formerly East-) Berlin

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Hi from (formerly East-) Berlin

Postby Tina » 09 Dec 2013, 21:11

Dear All !

My name is Christina. I´m 46 years old and I come from Berlin (the former east part of the town).

If you would have asked me seven months ago : "Rory Gallagher?" I would have replied: "Rory who?!?"

Yes, this is another " I don´t know how it could be that I´ve never heard about this man and his music all my life until now " - kind of story.

Beginning this year I started to listen through all my old CD´s and I ended up just listen to Gary Moore stuff. It sounded to me more fresh and powerful than any other music I´ve heard at this time (even though my favourite guitarplayer - since the 80´s is (or better: was?) Mark Knopfler, but I can´t really say that the music he plays at the moment can satisfy me...).
So when going through all this Gary Moore stuff and surfing the web I found an interview with the following:
Gary Moore: "... I was just reading the book written by the bass player, Gerry McAvoy. He’s an old friend of mine. I haven’t been able to put it down. It tells the whole story, with a lot of references to Belfast. It’s particularly interesting to someone like me who came from there. It’s weird. He mentions a lot of gigs in there, like seeing Ten Years After play on the roof of a school. I was there that night. We went to a lot of the same gigs. It’s pretty strange.... "
(- If you would like to read the interview, here it is : http://www.briandholland.com/GaryMooreInterview.htm )
And I thought : "sounds interesting. I should read this book, too." And while reading a book about a guitarplayer and his music I thought that only reading about his music isn´t enough - if I´ll find a not so expensive "best of" or so I would buy it...
So I went to Amazon, looked at the first CD and pressed the button where you can listen to a few seconds of a song.....
To be honest- I was not prepared for the following...
Follow me- bad penny- edged in blue were the first songs I´ve ever heard and I was completetly....I can´t find any words for this.
Maybe in his own words : " my ears hear sounds I´ve never heard before..." ("Signals")
You all know his music much better than me - I don´t think I have to explain anything to you...
And for me - that was it. I ´ve been " infected" with the R.G. - "virus"; no turning back possible.
While driving home from work this evening and listening to " Signals" over and over again I thought " oh, what a power !" Why I`ve been excluded fom this great music all my life until now? Did he ever realized that by not doing this " Single/promotion" thing he excluded/suspended people from discovering his music? People who would have loved to have his music being part of their lives?
Selfish thoughts, I know....
Of course I respect his decision not to do so..., but I can´t help myself thinking, if....
When I look at Jay Jay´s "This Day in Rory History" and I see dates 1990-94 in/near Berlin I cant help but thinking: WHY I was not there?!?? How could it be I did not know about? Probably I never will find an answer...

But I love this great forum here, to find so many facts, stories...I enjoy it very much. Thanks!
Take care everybody.All my best wishes,

Christina
Tina

Re: Hi from (formerly East-) Berlin

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 21:42

Welcome to big Rory family! It's great that you had discovered Rory as we're all here, each of us in one special day.
As for me I has been "infected" by Rory long seven years ago. And one thing I know exactly that there is no another way for me. Rory is my way.

Welcome, Christina and enjoy our company! :-)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Dec 2013, 21:46

Hi Christina and a very warm welcome to Rory's Forum..

Great introduction :) I'm glad you finally got the Rory bug / vibe :)

Tina wrote: I was just reading the book written by the bass player, Gerry McAvoy. He’s an old friend of mine.

This part what you said, I can't quite understand, why you never found Rory in your life earlier? You say you only just found out about Rory Gallagher seven months ago. Then you go on to say..Gerry McAvoy is an old friend. Plus are you saying you are originally from the north of Ireland?
Well, did not Gerry mention to you early doors, that he played along side the great guitarist Rory Gallagher for 20 years??

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

PS. There is another huge Rory fan who lives in Berlin called Sistina. You ought to meet up with her sometime ;)
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 21:58

Jay Jay wrote:
Tina wrote: I was just reading the book written by the bass player, Gerry McAvoy. He’s an old friend of mine.

This part what you said, I can't quite grasp. Is that you say. You only just found out about Rory Gallagher seven months ago. Then you go on to say..
Gerry McAvoy is an old friend. Plus are you saying you are originally from the north of Ireland?
Well, did not Gerry mention to you, he played along side the great guitarist Rory Gallagher for 20 years??

Hi Jay Jay! As I understood that was Gary Moore words in interview:

found an interview with the following: Gary Moore: "... I was just reading the book written by the bass player, Gerry McAvoy. He’s an old friend of mine. I haven’t been able to put it down. It tells the whole story, with a lot of references to Belfast.

:D
Jim
JimLED

Postby Tina » 09 Dec 2013, 22:11

Thanks JimLED and Jay Jay for your warm welcome.
And yes, Jim is right, I just mentioned the Gary Moore interview which brought me to read this book... I thought it would make sense to tell you. Maybe I should have made it clearer that this was taken from the interview I ´ve read. My fault.
And- of course I know the discussions about the book, but anyway, it brought me to listen to Rory, and that´s great! And even without knowing anything about the discussions about the book I think I took it as it is: a Bassplayer remembers his " good times" , and how HE remembers it - one side of the story.

tina
Tina

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Dec 2013, 22:21

Hi Tina,
Apologies, I see now you are quoting Gary, saying Gerry McAvoy was an old friend right :oops:
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 22:24

Jay Jay wrote:Hi Tina,
Apologies, I see now you are quoting Gary, saying Gerry McAvoy was an old friend right :oops:

:D

JimLED

Postby Tina » 09 Dec 2013, 23:35

ohhh.. Thanks Jim, shadow play, one of my favourites! Live it is unbeatable. I´m so sorry, that I never could have seen him it playing live. Why he could not stay until I noticed his music?
Tina

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2013, 23:42

Tina wrote:ohhh.. Thanks Jim, shadow play, one of my favourites! Live it is unbeatable. I´m so sorry, that I never could have seen him it playing live. Why he could not stay until I noticed his music?

I love this song in that show. There's was three encores also good mood of Rory, especially when he make a dance over drummer's head)))... great feedback with his fans.... when he broke 4th string at 10:00.....and great great music of RORY! :)
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Dec 2013, 23:58

Welcome Tina,

I don't know why Rory had such an aversion to singles, I guess he felt if he released singles and they charted well, that he would be forever cast in some kind of mold, identified with some genre that would have restricted him too much. He was a brilliant musician and artist, but not the smartest businessman, I guess. And so many of his songs would have charted well, I'm certain of that.

If he were starting out today, or if they'd had the internet back then, as they do now, he would have rocketed ahead of his peers. Rory wouldn't have had to endure the antics of record company stuffed suits, or corrupt management- he would have been able to take his art straight to the people.

Here's one of his best performances- with Taste-

Rory doing what he did best :D (hope you like it ;) )
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Welcome to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum