RORY GALLAGHER'S Autograph

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: RORY GALLAGHER'S Autograph

Postby Jay Jay » 03 Dec 2013, 12:18

Flamenca wrote:Rory's handwriting looks very similar to Donal's. I suspect they were both taught from the Vere Foster copy books for hand writing which were commonplace throughout Ireland and Scotland in the 1950s. Even in the early 60s when I learnt to write, schools were strict about handwriting and we had to comply with the Marion Richardson standard at our school. The most noticeable aspect of Rory's signature is the capital R in the middle of his Christian name and end of his surname. Apparently this is supposed to indicate a person of regal bearing i.e. a leader :)

Thanks Flamenca for pointing the upper case " R " in RoRy YES! and end of gallagheR and as I said the lower case "g" always..
Two good examples on our friend Doug's signed Rory CD below ;)

Rory Signature.jpg

Here is an example of Donal's writing for everyone to compare to Rory's

Donal's Signature of Approval.JPG

Rory's Hand Written Lyrics.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Dec 2013, 19:00

Certainly, I'd love to have Rory's autograph, but it is far too easy for someone to forge or even photocopy a convincing fake. And all the hints, suggestions, and examples given in this thread would make it that much easier for someone to fake it and sell them. And for those who have his autograph, and know it's his because you watched him sign it, that would be priceless- I can't see someone parting with one just for money. But then, most of us are die-hard fans.

But I'm sure there are some people who collected his autograph because they were in the right place at the right time, and, hey, Rory was there and signing. Those are the people who would sell it now- they didn't value it much in the first place. A few years back I got Carol King's autograph- she was working on a political cause up here, and I was a volunteer for the same cause, and she was signing autographs, I happened to be standing there, right place, right time, and she was signing, so she signed one for me- I like her music, but the autograph really has little value to me- I don't even know where it is now (she used a felt-tip sharpie btw).

I could kick myself now for never having the courage to try to ask Rory for his autograph. But that was a long time ago, I was a lot more timid and non-assertive, and usually the people I was with were more interested in trying to beat the crowd to the parking lot and head off the L.A. traffic- Plus, Rory was a rock star, same as Clapton, Page, Beck, Hendrix, on and on, and I figured he wouldn't have the time or inclination to hang around for the fans, especially so far from his home.

If you can be certain that it's really Rory who signed it is one thing, but unless I know for a fact that it was genuine, I would be content collecting his music, and keeping his memory. And a high grade photocopy of his handwriting would be enough if one wanted to analyze it.

I guess what I mean to say is, If you're certain you are actually getting Rory's signature, that's priceless. But just be careful, you don't want to reward some unscrupulous forger who's trying to literally cash in on Rory's name.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 03 Dec 2013, 20:26

Where I come from, in the 70s it was regarded as very uncool to ask for any autograph or photo, or to be star struck in any shape or form, so I never asked anyone.

Furthermore, when you work in the industry you are told very clearly (and it's usually in your contract) NEVER to hassle the talent - it's a sackable offence in many cases. If everyone on the job hassled the talent, too much expensive studio time would be wasted and you'd put them off from concentrating on their performance - they HATE that.

A colleague of mine who had worked for a particular artist (in a freelance capacity) as his home studio engineer / assistant producer for almost twenty years, was told very clearly not to hassle Liam Neeson when he came in to record / film his part. My colleague ignored this and grabbed Neeson round the shoulders for a quick photo on his I-phone. Despite almost twenty years service ... you guessed it ... his contract was terminated with immediate effect, when the shoot finished ... for disobeying orders and hassling the talent. Neeson, to his credit, didn't complain but he wasn't happy about it as he states clearly in his contracts that no-one in the production crew is to approach him for photos, autographs or to speak to him about non work related matters.

I never thought to ask Rory for his autograph, but I doubt if he would have minded, unless I'd done it when he was just about to run on stage! There's a time and place for most things, and I just never asked.
Flamenca

Postby Rosemarie » 04 Dec 2013, 00:35

I worked in Forensic Science and, apparently, one thing indicative of an upper case 'R' in the middle of a word (e.g. RoRy) was the probability that the writer had received a Catholic education in Ireland.
Rosemarie

Postby Flamenca » 04 Dec 2013, 11:18

Rosemarie wrote:I worked in Forensic Science and, apparently, one thing indicative of an upper case 'R' in the middle of a word (e.g. RoRy) was the probability that the writer had received a Catholic education in Ireland.

That makes sense to me. The monarch signs their Christian name followed by a capital R to show they rule - see Elizabeth's below.

signature.jpg

When your land has been stolen 'in the name of the Crown', your religion denied, and your very existence denigrated to the fate of a slave, it makes sense that you would declare yourself (in writing) to be as good as a true king - but not verbally as Jesus (King of Israel) did, or you would definitely have suffered the same fate as him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Dec 2013, 14:40

Flamenca wrote:
Rosemarie wrote:I worked in Forensic Science and, apparently, one thing indicative of an upper case 'R' in the middle of a word (e.g. RoRy) was the probability that the writer had received a Catholic education in Ireland.

That makes sense to me. The monarch signs their Christian name followed by a capital R to show they rule - see Elizabeth's below.

signature.jpg

When your land has been stolen 'in the name of the Crown', your religion denied, and your very existence denigrated to the fate of a slave, it makes sense that you would declare yourself (in writing) to be as good as a true king - but not verbally as Jesus (King of Israel) did, or you would definitely have suffered the same fate as him.

The schools where one was taught to write have a far more significant impact on one's handwriting than any particular social class, theology, or even psychological makeup.

I have letters written by my mother, and my would-have-been mother-in-law, both grew up in the 30s-40s in Los Angeles and were taught in the L.A. public schools, and although they never met for decades, they have strikingly similar handwriting styles, from the same cursive style book that the L.A. School District used back then. My brother, who is very definitely left-handed, was forced to write with his right hand when he was first learning, and eventually he rebelled, and started using his dominant hand. To this day I have a hard time reading his letters- some things, if you don't learn them by a certain age, you kind of miss the boat.

This whole royalty thing, and not having an official, guarded separation between church and state is a little alien to me. The two should, at least in theory, be kept apart. Absolute power corrupts absolutely as they say.

As far as Rory's handwriting being influenced by his school's teaching, that is probably true. I noticed, Donal's handwriting also tends to be sprinkled with capital Rs within certain words, especially when he writes his brother's name. He does it too, RoRy. I never would have noticed it had Flamenca not pointed it out :)

P.S.
Flamenca, I remember in the late 60s & 70s, most of my friends were trying to be into that, it's uncool to act like you notice what you notice, or to react in any way like you're starstruck by celebrities. Ironic that a lot of those same celebrities will themselves want autographs and memorabilia of their own heroes.

But if I had the choice to now have a 100% authentic autographed item of Rory's that belonged to someone else, or to have actually met the man and exchanged words with him in this life, I would choose to have met him. I'd rather have that memory for me to keep. So consider yourself lucky ;)

Post Script Script-
I don't think Jesus Himself ever declared He was the king of Israel, others did that. "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight . . ." KJV of the bible.
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 07 Dec 2013, 23:57

That's guys for telling what to look out for in Rory's autograph. On Tuesday evening I went to Keats House and they talked about the Art of Letter writing and how e-mail, twitter, FB is killing the art of letter writing because its more quick and efficient. I don't believe that's entirely true. I do resent school for making me do joint up writing and being forced to be right handed. Right handed has done no harm to me but I went back to writing simply and it easy and neat. I am tidy and neat. Anyway handwriting reveals a lot about a persons character, personality and soul. John Keats ( English Romantic Poet) wrote polished poems but his letters to his beloved Fanny Browne show the rawness of his feeling and his personality. I also feel letters and handwriting is very personal as well. I guess in the future we will be archiving e-mails instead of letters and that makes me sad. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 08 Dec 2013, 00:02

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/interview-shaun-usher-20131121-2xwgl.html
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/25/simon-garfield-in-praise-letter

Thankyou to Simon Garfield and Shaun Usher for the talk on The Art Of Letter Writing at Keats House on the 3/12/13. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Dec 2013, 15:07

Talking about Rory's autograph..I'm delighted to tell you..
SANTA RORY came to me early this year folks

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rory's Signature Top Priority.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 08 Dec 2013, 15:27

How about Rory's guitar belt? Who made it for him?
You might see there Rory name on it. Leather?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome