Page 1 of 2

Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 21:34
by RobertaSparrow
1992, :D I saw this on YouTube, and I thought, OMG he played it!




:lol: :lol: :lol: Fooled me ;)

(how could anyone not love Rory!)

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 23:10
by leprechaun1
for some reason he wouldn't play Taste songs. too painful...moved on.....copyright? "What do you want to hear? it's showband time....".

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 23:16
by SUBY1974
He is so sweet, absolutely adorable. Subrata. x

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 20:17
by RobertaSparrow
SUBY1974 wrote:He is so sweet, absolutely adorable. Subrata. x


Yeah, but he sounds soooo tired, yet he's still happy to be there in front of his fans :D

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 21:30
by JimLED
But he still loved a Taste songs he wrote. Look how fast he made an intro for What's Going On! He still remember how to play it. Incredible moment!

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 22:23
by RobertaSparrow
JimLED wrote:But he still loved a Taste songs he wrote. Look how fast he made an intro for What's Going On! He still remember how to play it. Incredible moment!


When I first saw the clip, I thought, as tired as he was, he seemed in a playful mood, maybe he would. When they asked him to play it, he went right into it, then stopped, and laughed. He would have brought the house down if he'd have done it tho ;)

Those were his songs too, as much as the others. I think he stopped playing them when they were basically stolen from him by Taste's management. But they were still his "children" so to speak :D

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 13:25
by RobertaSparrow


The above snippet of Rory's intro to What's Going On is followed by the Taste recording, but the speed on the tape is running too fast, the guitar doesn't sound right. So . . . I added this one with Spanish subtitles about Rory's early career.



Translation of captions:

Lucheins Torres's Tribute

My tribute to a great guitarist-
a legend of blues rock
Rory Gallagher at 9 years old received his first guitar
Rory at 12 years old won a talent show in Cork
Rory bought his 1961 Fender Stratocaster for (100 pounds?) in Crowley's Music Center in Cork.
At 16 years, Rory was in the Fontana Showband
Fontana Showband changed its name to Impact, with a new make-up.
Rory in England, in his first tour outside of Ireland
Rory Gallagher in the band Taste.
Taste went on tour of the United States and Canada
Taste performs at the Isle of Wight Rock Festival in 1970
Taste broke up, Rory formed his own Rory Gallagher band
Rory in one of his first recording sessions
Rory and his beloved Fender Stratocaster
Statue of Rory Gallagher in Cork, Ireland
A Legend
1948-1995


P.S.
Anyone else wondered, if the bass and drummer had jumped in there when Rory started it in 1992, if he might have actually played the whole song? I suppose he probably wouldn't have, but we'll never really know. 8-) :roll:

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 13:48
by Jay Jay
RobertaSparrow wrote:Anyone else wondered, if the bass and drummer had jumped in there when Rory started it in 1992, if he might have actually played the whole song? I suppose he probably wouldn't have, but we'll never really know.


As David Levy and Richard Newman were of a younger generation. IMO I doubt if they would known how to play this tune??
I myself being a drummer / percussionist and play a little guitar. Know "What's Going On" is a difficult tune to play. I've tried it a few times, It Takes Time and a lot of practice. The drummer has to be spot on with the timing, as their are a lot of stops and starts, plus accents that come into this great tune.

I bet Richard was tishing himself when Rory started it. More especially if Rory would have repeated the intro :o

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 13:54
by JimLED
Hi Jay Jay and Cynthia! But Rory there played just a first part of the intro. I'm sure if he had played the last part of it (to the D chord of main theme) then he hadn't stop this song. It's like a point of no return.
Also, if a couple of fans in crowd sang it loudly to Rory.... :)

Re: Rory teases his audience

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 18:42
by RobertaSparrow
Jay Jay wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:Anyone else wondered, if the bass and drummer had jumped in there when Rory started it in 1992, if he might have actually played the whole song? I suppose he probably wouldn't have, but we'll never really know.


As David Levy and Richard Newman were of a younger generation. IMO I doubt if they would known how to play this tune??
I myself being a drummer / percussionist and play a little guitar. Know "What's Going On" is a difficult tune to play. I've tried it a few times, It Takes Time and a lot of practice. The drummer has to be spot on with the timing, as their are a lot of stops and starts, plus accents that come into this great tune.

I bet Richard was tishing himself when Rory started it. More especially if Rory would have repeated the intro :o


Well, yes, they were a different generation, but they were both very capable and professional musicians, and probably Rory fans as well- I think they could have done it, but weren't expecting him to do that- but if they had, well it would have been something to see him play that one after so many years, just on the fly, as a whim . . . That would have been something . . . quite a treat for his unsuspecting audience! :D