42nd anniversary of Rory Gallagher's 'Deuce' album!

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

42nd anniversary of Rory Gallagher's 'Deuce' album!

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Nov 2013, 14:51

The Rory Gallagher Tribute Band " Deuce " have reminded me today..
Of this 42nd Anniversary of this great second solo RORY GALLAGHER album..

I must tell you personally about this very special first RG album I bought and never sold. That got me into Rory :D
In 1972 I was very young and at Art College. Most guys and girls there liked the usual top of the pops based music at that time..ie.. Rolling Stones, Marc Bolan & T Rex, John Lennon, Paul McCartney & Wings etc etc..
Where as I was more into R&B and Soul music. Well my life changed forever. When a guy befriended me called Peter Clever. Then that led me to borrowing his Deuce album. It's funny when he first told me about Rory Gallagher, I said to him, like so many folk do to me still today on hearing Rory's name. Who the hell is he.

Well after I played the first track I was blown away. Then even more after " Crest Of A Wave "
I had never before heard such passionate exciting and heart-rendering vocal and slide guitar playing in my life :D
I wasted no time, going out that weekend and purchased the album for myself. Swiftly followed by the Live In Europe album. Doesn't time fly when your enjoying yourself, listening to Rory's wonderful music :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: 42nd anniversary of Rory Gallagher's 'Deuce' album!

Postby capo » 28 Nov 2013, 17:17

Your so right Jay Jay. It has his most intense slide work on it, besides Crest Of A Wave, it has back to back, Whole Lot Of People and In Your Town. It is also one of his most varied, musically nuanced albums with the jazzy Theres A Light, the Dylan inspired acoustic and harp Don't Know Where I'm Going and the killer opening track I'm Not Awake Yet. Its a album well worth revisiting again and again. I believe Johnny Marr mentions wearing out his copy trying to learn how to play every track on it when a youngster. Peace.
capo

Postby Cantwell » 28 Nov 2013, 19:14

Agreed...great album Jay Jay...one of my favourites. Many elements Jazz, Blues, Rock, the lines blurred between them . Always thought it was a little underrated in his catalogue.
In Your Town always blows me away... I love the way he tells that tale on Live in Europe.
Cantwell

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Nov 2013, 21:58

Cantwell wrote:Agreed...great album Jay Jay...one of my favourites. Many elements Jazz, Blues, Rock, the lines blurred between them . Always thought it was a little underrated in his catalogue.
In Your Town always blows me away... I love the way he tells that tale on Live in Europe.

capo wrote:Your so right Jay Jay. It has his most intense slide work on it, besides Crest Of A Wave, it has back to back, Whole Lot Of People and In Your Town. It is also one of his most varied, musically nuanced albums with the jazzy Theres A Light, the Dylan inspired acoustic and harp Don't Know Where I'm Going and the killer opening track I'm Not Awake Yet. Its a album well worth revisiting again and again. I believe Johnny Marr mentions wearing out his copy trying to learn how to play every track on it when a youngster. Peace.

Agreed guys, especially Capo, about the variation of music Rory gives us is fantastic on this album :)
I think Daniel Gallagher mentioned it in that US interview recently, that it was one of his favorites too..

Can't understand why when it first came out on CD format, they had changed the first track from how it USED TO BE on LP?

A1 Used To Be 5:06
A2 I'm Not Awake Yet 5:38
A3 Don't Know Where I'm Going 2:45
A4 Maybe I Will 4:13
A5 Whole Lot Of People 4:54
B1 In Your Town 5:43
B2 Should've Learnt My Lesson 3:34
B3 There's A Light 5:59
B4 Out Of My Mind 3:00
B5 Crest Of A Wave

As Rory himself wanted this album especially after his first RG solo album. To sound near to a live performance. With a rocker to start off.

Have they got "I'm Not Awake Yet" 1st track on the newly remastered release??
Jay Jay

Postby davidduck » 28 Nov 2013, 22:57

My favourite album! I have the first cd version and the recent remastered edition.. I'm not awake yet isn't the first track on the remaster.. it opens with 'used to be' and persuasion has been removed as a bonus track.

I prefer the remastered version except I wish they'd left on Robin sylvester saying 'flawless' at the end of crest of a wave :)
davidduck

Postby geekfreak » 12 Jan 2014, 18:14

Its a great solo debut album. This was the 2nd musical spiritual journey into. Rory`s music. My Frist was also in 1972. Live in Euorpe . Bulldog Blues. 8-) oh yes.
Hi I`m geek-freak, peace,love and understanding.
geekfreak

Postby ILY » 12 Jan 2014, 19:08

I remember when I heard this LP Deuce and Live in Europe was the other one we listened.We were in blues ,Fleetwood Mac,John Mayall Bluesbreakers,Cream,Clapton,Paul Buterfield Blues Band -----Rory played here in Helsinki 1970's and in Turku Ruisrock festifa . lShould've learnt my lesson is the blues which I love.I have listened Deuce and this blues all these years.
I play Should've learnt my lesson sometimes on our gigs.
I listen his music almost every day and miss him.
ILY

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome