Rory as always- Continental Op '94

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory as always- Continental Op '94

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Nov 2013, 14:16

After watching that excellent animation paired with Rory's Continental Op, I decided to revisit one of his last performances- At the end of Continental Op, Rory mentions Dashiell Hammett.

Note, though, this is one of his last performances, and some may not want to watch it. The person posted it said it was his last, but this was done in October of '94, less than a year before he passed- he still had seven months left. He is quite obviously ill, and IMO he appears at times to be in pain, but he plays through it, and again, IMO he is every bit as passionate in his playing as he ever was. The third song on his set-list is I Wonder Who, and he and Mark trade off on harp there. (again IMO harmonica players are much more valued as musicians here than they are over there). Mark has his eye on Rory throughout this performance, and at times he looks a bit worried. But he was right there in case Rory needed him.

But just to show, Rory never lost his edge, and never wanted to let his fans down-

RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory as always- Continental Op '94

Postby JimLED » 14 Nov 2013, 16:50

At 1:20:00 Dan Ar Braz came to play with Rory. Rory so happy to see him! Amazing!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Nov 2013, 17:51

Yeah, that's one of my favorite parts of the program. The genuine affection in their greeting. I think that's what Rory needed more than anything at the end. To know that people still loved him, and wanted to see him.
RobertaSparrow

Postby folkdeejay » 15 Nov 2013, 11:59

This is hard to watch in some respects - it would be a career-best for some artists, but Rory is obviously not well, and some parts lack a bit of his earlier spark - although it is an amazing performance for a man just a few months away from death.

The version of A Million Miles Away is superb, a powerful and soulful version.
folkdeejay

Postby Tina » 17 Nov 2013, 19:49

at 0:44:26 : sounds a bit like "THE" " start me up " riff.... love the way he laughs after playing it.
Tina

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome