Minneapolis, 1991

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Minneapolis, 1991

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Nov 2013, 16:55

I found this while surfing the net during one of my phases of insomnia- Uploaded recently. Not the best video quality, but hey, it's really Rory, and if anyone says he couldn't still fire up a crowd in the 90's, they must have their head somewhere else.

Rory mentions the venue, I think it's the Guthrie Theater. He does stuff from Fresh Evidence, but he also does his earlier stuff, like Laundromat. Notice

He played the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, California on that same tour. That was a wonderful club, I'd seen some really great acts there a few years before, a nice intimate club which, even when packed to the rafters didn't have a bad seat in the house. And it was right across from the Huntington Beach Pier. I wasn't aware that Rory was even playing there at the time. I had my hands full with mundane crap, and besides, I couldn't go anywhere without my daughter- she was only seven at the time (and I doubt they'd have let her in the club anyway :) ).

Part 1

Part2 (the way the second part is posted, consists of 10 videos linked together, so it doesn't post all neat and tidy like the first half)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBJ_Tc_ ... QZioQNwnc2

Many thanks to the person who posted this on YouTube- these glimpses back are very precious nowadays.

IMO- Seems the camaraderie that was there between Rory and Gerry McAvoy in years past is nearly non-existent in this show, but Rory seems to look to Mark quite often for support.
RobertaSparrow

Re: Minneapolis, 1991

Postby mac » 13 Nov 2013, 18:31

Thanks Roberta ,
I got a chance to watch this last night while my wife was out and it's a fantastic show , with Rory looking good and sounding great.
His playing is top class, but I do prefer his less distorted earlier vox / fender tone .
Brilliant acoustic set, but again I miss his martin d 35 .
I wonder if he was still with us would he have gone back to both ..... I like to think he would.
mac

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Nov 2013, 18:59

mac wrote:Thanks Roberta ,
I got a chance to watch this last night while my wife was out and it's a fantastic show , with Rory looking good and sounding great.
His playing is top class, but I do prefer his less distorted earlier vox / fender tone .
Brilliant acoustic set, but again I miss his martin d 35 .
I wonder if he was still with us would he have gone back to both ..... I like to think he would.

Hi Mac,
The video starts out a little choppy at first, whoever taped it got closer to the stage later, and Rory I must admit, looks pretty good there.

I never did like that Takamine that Rory used after the Martin got damaged. His old Martin had such a warm, vibrant tone, and that Takamine always sounded tinny and way too bright. If a guitar couldn't sound good in Rory's hands, then it wasn't a very good guitar in the first place IMO.

I think if he was still alive he would have either had the Martin fixed or gotten something even better suited to his beautiful acoustic style. He'd still be a killer electric guitarist, but I bet we'd be seeing even more of his acoustic work. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Cantwell » 14 Nov 2013, 15:16

Love this version of GHOST BLUES. I always thought that this was one of his better songs in the latter years, great mood....very dark, not surprisingly. Mark Feltham masterful as always both in the studio version and live. Thought Rory might of done this live acoustically ...himself and Mark, I think that would of sounded very good as well... in any case, it's a great track...thanks for the post.
Cantwell

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome