Rory Always Close to Home ~ Lyrically though?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory Always Close to Home ~ Lyrically though?

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Nov 2013, 22:59

Rory even though he was touring the world constantly throughout his life..
He always used to find time to call his mother. Keeping in touch with "what's going on " always in his native Ireland.
Besides " Going To My Hometown " which is very much an exception to the rule. Rory in many of his songs makes references to more places in other parts of the world, especially the USA? Why do you think this is? Even in GTMHT, Rory does not give the name of town / place he is going to. Whereas lots of other towns crop up in lyrics from the USA in other songs. I may stand to be corrected but I can't think of one from Ireland cropping up?

Rory Irish Tour.jpg

This is only counting his own compositions. He may have sung about an Irish town in someone else's song?

Not forgetting also Rory always wrote most of his songs at home / Ireland.. Not a million miles away :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: Rory Always Close to Home ~ Lyrically though?

Postby leprechaun1 » 10 Nov 2013, 00:11

as far as the towns/cities from the u.s., i think it was more his fasination with crime novels and the u.s. mofia. our crime over in the u.s. is second to none unfortunately, at least from what other countries report. it seemed that Rory liked the u.s. though. if he would have played the "game" in the u.s. he would have known great success here instead of us fans having to enlighten others of who he was/is.
leprechaun1

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Nov 2013, 00:25

Yea Leprechaun1

Here is a great example. Look how many places he mentions in one verse 8-)

They got the muscle in from Cleveland
The fire-power from Detroit
They missed me in New Jersey
Though things got pretty tight

They caught my scent in Richmond
At the Hotel Savoy
But I got out the Laundry Chute
And went to Chicago, Illinois

Rory Gallagher - The Last Of The Independents Lyrics
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Nov 2013, 04:07

It's all supposition and speculation, but I think he was fascinated by American culture, and he got pulled into it through our music. In his heart he was Irish and proud of it. It surprised and saddened me when I learned that he never put roots down there, never settled and had a family, because whenever I saw him play, I saw him as the beautiful, talented stranger, passing through to sing and play for us. I was always glad to see him play when he was in town, and sad to know we couldn't keep him, that he would be leaving to go on to the next place, but never too sad, because whenever I saw him he was ecstatic to be where he was, and to play music, and take us along for the ride, even though it was brief. He left us happy, and he seemed just as happy, and all was right with the world, in that moment.

Yeah, his interests in American cinema, our "pulp fiction," and most of all our music is what really seemed to grab his attention, he worked it into just about everything he did. Most of time when he did covers, it was of other American artists, and he even dressed like us. He played the music, and he often wove American places, names, slang into his own music, but it always had a uniqueness to it- he always put himself into it, and it was a familiar flavor, but it was different, it was Rory, he was unmistakably Irish, and we loved him.

He put so many American cultural references in his songs, it would be a challenge to list them all. And not just the dark side, crime and intrigue, he was also interested in western folklore, and American history. But he was based in Europe, and especially toward the end of his life, his attention was turned more toward his European base, and my impression was that his interest in American culture was just that, an interest. His heart was always in Ireland, even if he didn't settle there.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Nov 2013, 11:18

As usual a great post & reply Cynthia to my question..

Although the main reason for my question was the lack of reference to 'Irish name places' in Rory's songs.

Why didn't Rory mention a place in Ireland? Especially in songs like 'A Million Miles Away' because it is a yearning I feel for his homeland??

Quite apt on this Remembrance Sunday, a song well sung by the troops and folk in all Ireland and the British Isles in The World Wars..
about an Irish Town & County " It's a Long Way to Tipperary" :)

PS. Did the US troops sing this song too?
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Nov 2013, 11:43

Jay Jay wrote: PS. Did the US troops sing this song too?

U.S. Armed Forces Band-

P.S.

Our day to remember is tomorrow- November 11- Veteran's Day
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Nov 2013, 12:49

Thanks Cynthia. So it's was an all allied forces song sung :)

Even a mention in that version of Rory's Irish County Donegal, the place he first lived in :)
Jay Jay

Postby SUBY1974 » 11 Nov 2013, 22:12

Alot of the Blues music Rory loved was set in America, especially the Deep South. I would not surprised then if he mentioned USA in his songs. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome