RORY'S Official Song Track Video Continental Op for K' City

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

RORY'S Official Song Track Video Continental Op for K' City

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Nov 2013, 15:16

Jay Jay

Re: RORY'S Official Song Track Video Continental Op ~ K'City

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Nov 2013, 13:32

I'm surprised that there is no comment on this yet..

IMHO (Jukka ;)) Rory I think would have approved of this immensely :)
Rory when the music video age came about was never in favour, for himself and his music to to put up like they use to do..
Still preferring to go the live gig route rather in the late '80's. This is different because he is not the focus.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: RORY'S Official Song Track Video Continental Op for K' C

Postby JimLED » 09 Nov 2013, 14:42

Wow! I never seen this topic early! :)
I like this idea of combining story and Rory lyrics in words at the screen. But I wish to know what was the original story for Rory in time when he write this song?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Nov 2013, 15:58

Hi Jim,

As Rory put on the title to the song on the Defender album.. Continental Op (to Dashiell Hammet )
Rory always giving credit to an original song or book in this case written :)

Maybe Cynthia or Suby can elaborate a little, as they are much greater book readers than I am. Not reading any of Dashiell Hammet's books at all :roll:
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Nov 2013, 17:13

Jay Jay wrote:I'm surprised that there is no comment on this yet..

IMHO (Jukka ;)) Rory I think would have approved of this immensely :)
Rory when the music video age came about was never in favour, for himself and his music to to put up like they use to do..
Still preferring to go the live gig route rather in the late '80's. This is different because he is not the focus.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

"I'm surprised that there is no comment on this yet.."

I was refraining from commenting because I don't want to dominate the forum (honestly). I see my "handle" all over the place, and I can envision some members maybe rolling their eyes and saying, "Here she goes again." :roll: Or as Igor said in Young Frankenstein, "Why don't you get out of there and give someone else a chance!"

IMHO I think Rory would have warmed up to the idea of his music paired with video. I don't think he himself was too partial to it because in its beginnings such pairings were on channels like MTV, which, again IMO some of those could be really irritating and cringe-worthy to watch. Plus, in the beginning it seemed almost the visual equivalent to releasing a single to promote album sales. But as the medium matured, and it became less a garish-noise filled "hey, look at me" vehicle for rock egos, and became more an art form, he would have wanted to get in on it.

There have been some excellent directors that started out in that genre, such as Gore Verbinski, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze and others, and Rory, being a fan of cinema, probably would have begun to realize the music video's potential as an art form.

And I think he would have been great at merging his musical wanderings with film. He did a couple, but not many. There is the French video clip where he can be seen doing just that.

And he did the music background for the movie, A Sense of Freedom.

As to the video pairing of Continental Op with the graphic/animation, yes I think Rory would be proud of it- it's very well done, and appeals to a younger audience as well-

His music could be paired very effectively into modern day story lines- and there are many authors who do blend lyrics, and their own musical tastes into their fiction writing- Ian Rankin does it, so does Stephen King and many others.

The better programs made for television- The X-files, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos did it all the time- if the feeling expressed in the music pairs with the story line, then it doesn't matter if they don't exactly match- it conjures up an image that enhances both- such as El Paso in Breaking Bad. Tarantino is a master at pairing music with mood in his work- Rory's music would fit right in on several levels.

Back to the video and Continental Op- did you notice the Rory references? Some are sublte- hint- look at the video at 3:50 and what do you notice?
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 09 Nov 2013, 19:32

"The clip is not available for viewing in your country." :evil:

Last time I hate youtube. They erase a lot good music in good quality.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Nov 2013, 20:00

JimLED wrote:
"The clip is not available for viewing in your country." :evil:

Last time I hate youtube. They erase a lot good music in good quality.

try Vimeo!

http://vimeo.com/75290162

[youtube]http://vimeo.com/75290162[/youtube]
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 09 Nov 2013, 20:14

RobertaSparrow wrote:
...Rory, being a fan of cinema, probably would have begun to realize the music video's potential as an art form. And I think he would have been great at merging his musical wanderings with film... As to the video pairing of Continental Op with the graphic/animation, yes I think Rory would be proud of it - it's very well done, and appeals to a younger audience as well - His music could be paired very effectively into modern day story lines- and there are many authors who do blend lyrics, and their own musical tastes into their fiction writing - Ian Rankin does it, so does Stephen King and many others.

I agree. I think the product stands up as a work of substance in its own right, which pop promos very rarely do - exceptions being Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' but you don't find many like that. Pop promos tend to be disposable like the music - the video equivalent of 'bubble gum'.

Sadly, Rory didn't live long enough to experience the digital revolution in film that launched with the 'Blair Witch Project' filmed using the Canon DX1 video camera. I think he may have been a little sceptical at first because of the limitations of the technology at that time (similar to earlier synthesisers in music) but would have quickly realised its potential. Rory wasn't anti-synth - he just felt that they didn't convey the full range of emotional expression that other instruments were capable of, and the music played on them at that time in the 1980s just didn't move him emotionally.

He may have felt similarly about the early digital video films, but would have realised, that in the hands of an 'artist' the technology would not dictate the story telling. The music forms an integral part of the 'story telling' experience, it sets the mood and dramatic tension. With appropriate visual footage, and a compelling story, I think he would have been delighted to be involved in such works of art.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Nov 2013, 20:26

Jay Jay wrote:Hi Jim,

As Rory put on the title to the song on the Defender album.. Continental Op (to Dashiell Hammet )
Rory always giving credit to an original song or book in this case written :)

Maybe Cynthia or Suby can elaborate a little, as they are much greater book readers than I am. Not reading any of Dashiell Hammet's books at all :roll:

Here's the Wiki link-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Continental_Op

"The Continental Op is a fictional character created by Dashiell Hammett: a private investigator employed as an operative of the Continental Detective Agency's San Francisco office. His name is never mentioned in any story."

Even if you've never read any of the series, it's likely you've seen some of the movies based on Hammett's writings- the Maltese Falcon, or The Thin Man ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby SlummingAngel » 11 Nov 2013, 15:23

I've never been in fond of crime fiction but, I think, that this is a nice change in the way that I see this type of fiction. Great video enreached with Rory's song. :)
SlummingAngel

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome