Rory in Vienna in 1987

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory in Vienna in 1987

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Nov 2013, 07:11

:shock: I came across this while surfing the net for Rory-

It has been put up on YouTube very recently, and whoever filmed it appears to be on the stage, behind the band- and most of the footage, at least to begin with, is of the audience- during the first song we can see the back of Rory's arm or see him quickly pass in front of the camera, and sometimes we see over Gerry's shoulder. Who knows, perhaps someone reading the site will see themselves in the audience?

Being as how it's All Saints Day- :D

It's such a treat to find these things!

So-
Moonchild
Double Vision
I Wonder Who
Nadine
Bad Penny
I Ain't No Saint
Continental Op
Bourbon
A Million Miles Away
Out On The Western Plain
Walking Blues
Banker's Blues (cut)
Loanshark Blues
When My Baby She Left Me
Shin Kicker
Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Rory Gallagher: guitar, vocals
Gerry McAvoy: bass
Brendan O'Neil: drums
Mark Feltham: harp
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory in Vienna in 1987

Postby JimLED » 01 Nov 2013, 09:38

Great show! There's also my favorite J.Wells's Snatch it back and hold it at rehearsal! Gerry and Rory been in good mood playing together this song. :-)

But Rory interviews… first question about Taste by narrator changed his mood :-(
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Nov 2013, 14:14

JimLED wrote:Great show! There's also my favorite J.Wells's Snatch it back and hold it at rehearsal! Gerry and Rory been in good mood playing together this song. :-)

But Rory interviews… first question about Taste by narrator changed his mood :-(

I didn't see the interview part- but I noticed as the years went by, Rory seemed to grow more impatient and weary, being asked the same questions about Taste, et al.

Overall he seems very happy up there- in his element- playing for the fans.

I'd seen bits of this concert before- especially where he does Bad Penny, and that little guitar starts giving him grief (Gibson? Can't quite make it out). It started during Nadine, some little electrical glitch causes his guitar to cut out repeatedly- even that doesn't really seem to darken his mood- But I notice- every time he goes back to his old reliable, The Strat, he has no problems at all ;)

I love it, during his acoustic set, someone out in the audience is very determined to shout out a request to Rory- I can't make out the title, but after a couple of the fan's intrusive attempts, Rory smiles and tells whomever- "it's coming- later."

At the end of the show he looks so tired, but also he looks so happy :D

I'm curious though- at first I thought it was a shadow, but then it was unmistakable when Rory waves goodbye to the crowd- he has some kind of red wristband or something on his left wrist- anyone know what and why?
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 01 Nov 2013, 16:01

RobertaSparrow wrote:I love it, during his acoustic set, someone out in the audience is very determined to shout out a request to Rory- I can't make out the title, but after a couple of the fan's intrusive attempts, Rory smiles and tells whomever- "it's coming- later."

Yes, yes, very special moment!

Also I have other favorites, like

- number 1 - Rory asks to the crowd what they'd like to hear? And someone screamin' "What's Going On"! Then Rory plays intro of this Taste hit. :)
- number 2 - Rory in 1994 trying to play his gig, but the someone in the crowd always ruining his show by whistle. And while Rory start to play Tattoo'd Lady the whistle boy made a lot of loud noise. Rory stopped play intro and took his knife in the right hand, telling to the guy: "Come'on whistle boy, come here". Too funny! :D
- number 3 - At Bottom Line 1979 while Rory started play intro to I Wonder Who, someone in the crowd made a scream: "Yeah, Rory!" It was so emotional! :)
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Nov 2013, 12:52

RobertaSparrow wrote::shock: I came across this while surfing the net for Rory-

It has been put up on YouTube very recently, and whoever filmed it appears to be on the stage, behind the band- and most of the footage, at least to begin with, is of the audience- during the first song we can see the back of Rory's arm or see him quickly pass in front of the camera, and sometimes we see over Gerry's shoulder. Who knows, perhaps someone reading the site will see themselves in the audience?

Being as how it's All Saints Day- :D

It's such a treat to find these things!

Yes, I've had this Rory concert on DVD for a few years now. Only played It once or twice..

It frustrates me so much on the first song Moonchild. That you hear RORY but don't see him playing, with the cameraman just focused on the audience for the entire song?? You don't see RORY until the end of song? :x

One of the great excitements/ antcipations for me when going to a LIVE RORY GIG/ concert, was to see the great man start playing those first few notes :!:
Jay Jay

Postby Flamenca » 02 Nov 2013, 13:24

Maybe one of Rory's friends e.g. Rudi Gerlach filmed it at Rory's request for Rory to take home and watch the video afterwards. When you're playing, you're concentrating mostly on the performance, not the crowd as such. Maybe Rory just wanted to be able to see the event from a different perspective ... just a thought ;)
Flamenca

Postby JimLED » 02 Nov 2013, 15:07

Jay Jay wrote:It frustrates me so much on the first song Moonchild. That you hear RORY but don't see him playing, with the cameraman just focused on the audience for the entire song?? You don't see RORY until the end of song? :x

But I liked the camera shot (0:01:44) at the shy girl on Rory's words "Just show me your smile". :D

And where is the guy with a camera (0:02:13)??? I think his footage of this gig might been much better! :)
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Nov 2013, 15:35

Yeah- I thought at first- what's with the cameraman? Rory's on fire up there and whomever is focused on all these people- who wants to see that? But I think Flamenca may be right- it starts out almost like a home movie from someone accustomed to being on the stage- but who would be interested in seeing the reaction of the audience? Rory would. :D He loved playing for the people!

But as soon as the daylight wanes the cameras turn back to the stage, and on the whole, it's a very intimate point of view of the band.

I'm still curious about the wrap Rory has around his left wrist, though.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Mandyl » 04 Nov 2013, 14:51

I haven't been able to watch the video yet but do you think the wrap Rory wears may be RSI related? I'm sure I read somewhere that he suffered from it in the '70s which isn't surprising as I guess many guitarists do and did. It may not have been diagnosed as such back then. On the Montreaux DVD he does shake his left (I think) arm from time to time which looks like someone trying to release the pain of RSI to me. I wonder if the wrap was for the same thing? I will try and watch it tonight and have a good look (it's always worth having a good look at Rory I find! :))

Mandy
Mandyl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Nov 2013, 15:39

Mandyl wrote:I haven't been able to watch the video yet but do you think the wrap Rory wears may be RSI related? I'm sure I read somewhere that he suffered from it in the '70s which isn't surprising as I guess many guitarists do and did. It may not have been diagnosed as such back then. On the Montreaux DVD he does shake his left (I think) arm from time to time which looks like someone trying to release the pain of RSI to me. I wonder if the wrap was for the same thing? I will try and watch it tonight and have a good look (it's always worth having a good look at Rory I find! :))

Mandy

-------

Repetitive stress injury? That hadn't occurred to me- I thought it was ornamental or ? But yeah, it's a common injury in guitarists- carpal tunnel syndrome is what forced Leo Kottke out of the picture for a number of years, caused him to re-learn how to play.

It makes sense- a musician as driven as Rory would be very prone to such an injury- and I can imagine he would be the sort to play through the pain to the point of needing a pressure wrap to relieve it somewhat. :( Like a racehorse who loves to run, and can't be held back, or a prizefighter who won't give up.
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome