RORY'S most overlooked and underplayed GREAT TUNES!

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

RORY'S most overlooked and underplayed GREAT TUNES!

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Oct 2013, 21:35

Rory fans give me your opinion & selection..
Of what Rory songs / tunes which are fav's and most overlooked or not heard of so much by Joe public?

Here is one of mine to kick start today

PS. Cynthia, I think the one you put on the other topic, that you started today...
About RORY'S GREAT MUSIC healing the world. Maybe one of those overlooked GREAT TUNES also :)
Jay Jay

Re: RORY'S most overlooked and under played GREAT TUNES!

Postby capo » 17 Oct 2013, 19:42

"The Watcher" from Top Priority is a strange, surf rock like song from Rory with distorted vocals and blistering solos.
capo

Postby JimLED » 17 Oct 2013, 20:02

My favorite song and vid :D
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Oct 2013, 05:20

This one is pretty great, it's such a happy tune, and his joyfulness is contagious-

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and this pretty love song- (I suspect it was written for a specific woman, but we'll never know who :) )
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Oct 2013, 09:43

# I've been up all night, I've been walking the street, oh yeah.. Looking for you baby #
# GO SKATIN’ ON AN ICEBERG, THAT’S WHAT I WOULD ONCE DO #
# MAYBE DONE A DOZEN TIMES, JUST TO HEAR YOU SAY ‘I LOVE YOU’# :)

Loads of great pictures & posters in this video :)

PS. Cynthia, i certainly would not include " I Fall Apart " as an overlooked RG composition. It's included in a few best of compilation and I've heard it played by quite a few RG tribute bands. Plus I know speaking to mostly female Rory fans. It's always at the top of their lists as a favorite song :)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Oct 2013, 12:20

Jay Jay wrote:PS. Cynthia, i certainly would not include " I Fall Apart " as an overlooked RG composition. It's included in a few best of compilation and I've heard it played by quite a few RG tribute bands. Plus I know speaking to mostly female Rory fans. It's always at the top of their lists as a favorite song :)

:geek: Hmmmm . . . well, maybe I should amend that to say, most overlooked by Rory . . .

It always tops my list of favorites- but I don't think he ever played it any of the times I saw him. And there is only one video I could find of him performing this one-

:roll: of course it is a favorite of Rory's female fans 8-) It is a heartfelt, sweetly sentimental love song from a man to a woman. As I said, I think he wrote it with a specific woman in mind, and unlike many of his others, he's not threatening to leave her, or angry that he was treated badly, or even singing about how the woman looks. It's a soft, emotive melody combined with almost softly spoken lyrics, written in the first person, one lover to another, telling her quietly that she's hurting him, and entreating her to stop.

And in the live clip, he sings it in an almost intimately subtle, emotive way. How could a woman stay angry with her man if he's singing that to her? ;) :)
RobertaSparrow

Re: RORY'S most overlooked and underplayed GREAT TUNES!

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Oct 2013, 13:26

Now Cynthia, if you would have said this was "Overlooked & Underplayed " by music fans & bands.
I would have totally agreed with you. Also from Rory Gallagher first solo album. Not played" For The Last Time" I hope ;)

Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Oct 2013, 15:44

"For The Last Time." That's another one of Rory's songs that I think maybe he felt were too revealing- I think that one may well have been about Eddie Kennedy and the Taste breakup- and for Rory losing the rights to his own music, at least for a time. I think there were some personal sentiments in there that he decided to pull back, IMHO. :)

Notice it's from the same concert.

ps, i think Daniel et all are okay with the avatar- else they'd have said so :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Oct 2013, 21:21

Jay Jay wrote:Rory fans give me your opinion & selection..
Of what Rory songs / tunes which are fav's and most overlooked or not heard of so much by Joe public?

PS. Cynthia, I think the one you put on the other topic, that you started today...
About RORY'S GREAT MUSIC healing the world. Maybe one of those overlooked GREAT TUNES also :)

You mean this one? it's beautiful, but it's Rory's interpretation- but if we're talking also Rory's interpretation- give me a few minutes- I can think of a list :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Oct 2013, 16:17

This one of Rory's very overlooked tunes. Came to light as a bonus track firstly, from the Jinx album CD release..
I wonder why Rory overlooked it too. Not putting this catchy tune/ guitar riff, on the original released album?
Lovely simple but effective video put to it here, thanks to our GallagherGirl aka Brenda Minton :)

Jay Jay

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome