What If - The (original) Taste had played on??

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

What If - The (original) Taste had played on??

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Oct 2013, 14:35

I posted this elsewhere, and now here, :D

The original Taste line up was what got Rory into the spotlight. People have said that it was the second incarnation of Taste that was the better band, but I can't say that- and I'm one of those people who don't really want to take someone else's word for it. But I don't think there exists a good quality sample of that band. And those that do exist have the sound quality of a microphone in a tin box placed at the bottom of an aquarium. So how can anyone say? Plus, they were all so young, learning and evolving. Had they been left without outside meddling, who's to say they wouldn't have out-shined all their competition in a year or so. It's so hard to find any recordings of the original band, and that's a shame, because that first incarnation of Rory's band was when it was all new to him. It was before outside management began to insert itself into his music and business affairs. It was the band he originally put together, of people he found, and before he learned to become wary of outsider interference.

I think that band was the closest one to the conventional pseudo-democratic we're all in this together kind of mentality. Mark McAvoy's book, Cork Rock touches on it a bit:

" . . . the Original Taste line-up was not to last . . . this decision was forced upon Rory by an A&R man from Polydor Records [note from me- seems Polydor started off rather early being a thorn in Rory's side] . . . offered Rory an album deal on one condition . . . he replace his two highly accomplished and capable band members with . . . McCracken and . . . Wilson. [Original members] Eric Kitteringham felt that the fact that he and Norman Damery questioned many of [manager Eddie] Kennedy's decisions precipitated the change of line-up." Cork Rock, page 41.

I can't say with any degree of confidence that this change was better in the long run for Rory's career. He was really the driving force in Taste- the diamond in a rather plain setting, and in my opinion, that's the way it was in all his bands- the people were there to see this charismatic, dynamic, energy charged whirling dervish make magic with a guitar. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves, in my opinion.

So Rory's first fledgling band, The Taste, was one that he put together, of people he knew and trusted. We'll never know what might have been, if he had encountered a genuinely honest and professional management team that took care of the nuts and bolts of the business and left Rory and his band to do what they did best- support Rory and let him do what he did best, lead his own band. But instead, management stepped in, said basically, "you want a record deal? then do what you're told." So he replaced his bass player and drummer with two that already had a working relationship with that management.

It appears from that point on the management was in a position to call the shots, pull the strings, and Rory, young and inexperienced in that side of the business, just went along with it, not realizing he was being sold a bill of goods. Sure, the second incarnation did achieve great success, but not without a tremendous price-

I am of the opinion that, had Rory told the A&R guy to "go p*** up a rope and leave me alone," eventually someone else in the business would have seen them and signed them- who knows, maybe someone like Peter Grant. Of course, Rory would not likely have said that. But you know what I mean . . .

I think those little mind-games from the early days of The Taste are the shadows that followed Rory for the rest of his career. If only . . .

I think Rory would have changed the course of music history- more than he already has of course. . .
RobertaSparrow

Re: What If- The (original) Taste

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Oct 2013, 15:00

Hi Cynthia,

Yes I brought this old chestnut up a few times before even with Daniel. Why they have not re-release this album from The Taste Mk1 recorded in 1967.
You obviously have not got this album? With The Taste original members Eric Kitteringham (bass) and Norman Damery (drums) acompanying Rory. First released on Emerald Records called "In The Beginning ~ An Early Taste of Rory Gallagher" Then aka "Take It Easy Baby" out later in the States. Then in Europe later "First Taste" with even mistakenly saying it was the Taste Mk2 lineup playing on it :roll:

You must have heard this great track from it surely? Rory's voice and harmonica sound so fresh :)

IMHO in hindsight. After all the management problems with Eddie Kennedy both Rory & Donal encountered later. With all the bad Aftertaste court disputes and stress. I believe Rory would have stuck with the original Taste members. Plus that avatar of yours Cynthia says it all. That should have been the handshake to seal the deal for Donal to start his managerial career with Rory in 1966. Not all those years later unfortunately. Although thinking again and if my maths are correct? Donal may have been a little too young at only 16 years of age :roll:

In The Beginning Cover & Rock Hospital
Rock Hospital.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Oct 2013, 16:36

When I think about it, seems they both missed out on being kids, taking on so much so soon. But I think that experience with the music business world right off the bat haunted Rory for years, and that is so unfair.
RobertaSparrow

Re: The (original) Taste.. What If?

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Oct 2013, 21:18

It was also Taste Mk1 (The Taste) with Rory, Eric & Norman lineup that recorded their first single :)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Oct 2013, 01:32

Yeah, people have often said that Taste 2 was the better combination, but from what I've heard, and granted that isn't much, there isn't much in the way of recorded material to base it on, but I think the first Taste was every bit as good, and they would have gotten much better after a year or so- IMO Rory was the driving force in every one of his bands, Rory was the one most everyone wanted to see, and things might have gone much smoother for them if they either had never met the management that they had, or had found someone, perhaps like Peter Grant, to start them off right. At 16, that would be a real baptism of fire for Donal, to just jump in there and try to manage them from the outset, but with a more up-front, fair-minded professional at the helm of the business side, he would have learned it all a lot faster and probably with a lot less stress.

Yes, those recordings are much clearer, and I think just as good as later Taste, and Rory's voice and guitar sounds just as professional and strong as in the later recordings. We'll never know, but I bet the original line up would have done just as well or better, because they started out together so they would naturally have a stronger bond. In fact, if Rory had said, no, this is my band and I'm keeping it as it is, I bet Polydor would have signed them anyway- because if they didn't, someone else would have. The Taste 1 was as cutting edge as Cream or any of the others, again IMO. With Rory leading them, and without interference, they might have been able to become an even tighter, more cohesive band- they would have had the funding to buy better equipment, and secure better recording facilities.

:) Cynthia

P.S., do you think Donal would be ok with that photoshop avatar? I didn't think about that :?:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Oct 2013, 15:47

RobertaSparrow wrote:P.S., do you think Donal would be ok with that photoshop avatar? I didn't think about that

Cynthia, you have Daniel's contact details now. Go that way to ask his son's opinion first. Or ask him to ask Donal to take a look..
ust for your piece of mind. Especially with it not being an authentic photo finish too ;)

Btw, the only criticism I have of the digitally composed picture. Is that Rory was never that much shorter than Donal.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Oct 2013, 17:09

Jay Jay wrote:
Btw, the only criticism I have of the digitally composed picture. Is that Rory was never that much shorter than Donal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Donal is standing closer to the camera is all, Rory appears shorter because of the forced perspective, IMHO. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Oct 2013, 18:47

RobertaSparrow wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:Btw, the only criticism I have of the digitally composed picture. Is that Rory was never that much shorter than Donal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Donal is standing closer to the camera is all, Rory appears shorter because of the forced perspective, IMHO. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The age Rory is in your avatar picture. Donal at that time would have looked more like this, me thinks ;)

Donal G ~ Strat & Tele.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Oct 2013, 21:15

Yes, but his hands are full, holding his brother's two favorite guitars- besides, I kinda like the span of the years, Rory's gone from this world, but I doubt he's ever far from Donal's side:)
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Oct 2013, 04:57

Jay Jay wrote:IMHO in hindsight. After all the management problems with Eddie Kennedy both Rory & Donal encountered later. With all the bad Aftertaste court disputes and stress. I believe Rory would have stuck with the original Taste members.
Rock Hospital.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

------------

Something else about the breakup of Taste- It is my opinion that the management of Taste set Rory up really- he was a hot commodity at that time, and I think the whole angle for the manager was to set him up such that Rory would be so tied in to that knot of red tape that he wouldn't dare leave- there would be too much money at stake- and what would most people do in such a bind? From Marcus Connaughton's book:

"After the break-up, £35,000 worth of bookings had to be cancelled . . . [Eddie] Kennedy: 'I've devoted 2 1/2 years to putting them where they are now . . . Gallagher could have been a dollar millionaire by next year . . .' " Rory Gallagher, His Life and Times, page 46.

IMO most businessmen in the entertainment industry are so focused on the bottom line that it is inconceivable for them to consider that a young upcoming musician such as Rory would'nt be so fixated and eager for fame and fortune that he wouldn't concede and accept whatever deal management wanted to give him. I don't think someone as greedy and money hungry as that would think for a moment that a young man like Rory would just walk away and start over again. That's one of the things I admire about Rory- he stuck to his principals, even if it meant walking away without a dime. He had the courage of his convictions, and that is saying a lot.

And after Taste split up, Rory refused to be dragged into a controversy- bent over backward to keep his emotions and feelings private. It had to be painful for him, but he tried for years not to let anyone know how he felt, and avoided saying anything in anger about anyone involved.

The world would be a better place if more people stood up for what they really believe, and did it with such class and style as Rory. IMHO.
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome