I'd Love to play RORY GALLAGHER in a Movie

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: I'd Love to play RORY GALLAGHER in a Movie

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Oct 2013, 21:24

capo wrote:Count me as one who hopes such a movie is never made. How can you distill a life , a man's artistry in a couple of hours? Yes I know all the successful bio pics that have been made over the years, but the one compelling fact of Rory's life, which I'm sure will be sensationalized, he died young, lonely and dependant on prescription drugs and alcohol. This beautiful, talented man will be reduced to another caricature of the tragic rock star for mass entertainment. He deserves better, and in fact has got it, in "Ghost Blues", where the emphasis is on his music, where it belongs. I understand everybodys motivation, to expose our Rory to a mass audience, to share with many what we have known all these years. But I fear this will do little but prove to be just another melodrama for the masses. Even with Donal's and the family's input, I think it will do more harm than good to Rory's great legacy. Just my opinion. Peace.

Well, I can see how it could go really badly. It depends on the direction of such a venture. I'm going to guess, imagine, try to see how would Rory want to be remembered? What would he be most proud of? I would guess that he doesn't want to be mourned, or made into a tragic figure. Not a pseudo-romantic drama or something like that. Not something that he himself would hate to see. He liked Palmer's movie about his Irish performances.

I would guess, he would be most proud of the way he helped blaze the trail for others of his countrymen to follow. He'd be proud of his melody maker award. He would probably be okay with something giving the flavor of what it was like waiting for him to come out on stage, and his electrifying performances. He was proud of his Irish heritage, so that would be something. I'd suspect he'd be proud of his message of bringing blues and blues-influenced rock to parts of the world where it was new. Note: maybe a movie based around his song, "follow me" like so many young musicians have done?

I think his greatest accomplishments were his spreading of his music all over the world, holding his head up high and going into violence prone areas of his homeland to lift the spirits of the kids who were caught in the middle.

There is a good story there to be told- it needn't be maudlin, or melodramatic. Something that would bring him to light, to show the rest of the world why we still gather around and talk about him. Something giving him dignity, and showing his sense of humor, and really, his joyful side. Not so much when he was ill. That was part of his life, too. But is that the way we remember him? I have a hard time coming to terms with the way it ended, but his life wasn't a tragedy. Look at how full his life was overall! How young and vibrant he was, how he made us feel when he'd put that old strat through its paces. Yes his life ended tragically. But there was a lot of joy in his heart also, an electrifying happiness when he was on stage that was contagious. Make it something light- something that would make him smile.

But that's just my opinion ;)

PS- I'd still vote for Johnny Depp to play Rory- he could do the moves, and he could probably play/act the guitar-hero image enough to sell it. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Nov 2013, 22:25

Jay Jay wrote:Actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers, says he'd love to play Rory in a movie

Actor to Play Rory Gallagher.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Your thoughts?
Jay Jay

I can visualise Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing Rory. I had no idea he came from Cork as well and went to Rory's school? WOW. He is a good actor. I liked him in Bend it Like Beckham and Henry VIII.

PS. If he does get the part he will be hanging out with the two Gerrys ( this is me and Susie) so that will be a bonus. I am sure we will all get along like a house on fire. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Nov 2013, 02:31

I don't care who plays Rory as long as they do him justice, and it attracts enough positive attention to bring him the recognition that is his due.

To that end, the more famous and better the actor, the better, because whomever they get has to be able to channel, to mimic, Rory's moves on stage, and it's a big plus if whoever plays him can play guitar. And make the audience see something of what we all saw back in the day.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers played Elvis, so I suppose he could do it. I'd still vote for Johnny Depp though, cause he's a chameleon of an actor, and I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers ought to play Donal.

It's just as important to get a good director, and screenplay writer, though, otherwise a film could do more harm than good- You wouldn't want it to come off like Spinal Tap or Dewey Cox, Walking Hard.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tokeiihto » 27 Nov 2013, 17:50

RobertaSparrow wrote:Jonathan Rhys Meyers played Elvis, so I suppose he could do it. I'd still vote for Johnny Depp though, cause he's a chameleon of an actor, and I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers ought to play Donal.

Nah, it's been a decade since Depp starred in a good movie - and actually "acted" and not just gave a variation of his (by now more than annoying) constantly bewildered Jack Sparrow routine. Now, if we were talking about 90s Johnny Depp who took risks by choosing challenging oddball roles in such diverse movies as 'Fear and Loathing Las Vegas', 'Dead Man', 'Benny & Joon', 'Ed Wood' etc. ... but alas ... those days are over. Seems like Depp now is content playing the same character over and over again, just collecting his paycheck.

And on a side note, "looks" (aka how much does the actor/actress resemble the person he/she is portraying) is by far the least important aspect when searching for a suitable actor. So, no, just because John Cusack might look a lot like Rory doesn't automatically make him a perfect fit. ;)

Also, I severely doubt we'll see a Rory biopic anytime soon, if ever.

But then, I'm not a fan of biographical films anyway, so ...
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby Tina » 27 Nov 2013, 22:42

Johnny Depp... not bad, but isn´t he a bit too old to play Rory? I would suggest Benedict Cumberbatch... and maybe "The Hobbit" Martin Freeman could play Gerry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Cca7Nq2Zs

What do you think?

Tina
Tina

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Nov 2013, 23:01

Tokeiihto wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:Jonathan Rhys Meyers played Elvis, so I suppose he could do it. I'd still vote for Johnny Depp though, cause he's a chameleon of an actor, and I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers ought to play Donal.

Nah, it's been a decade since Depp starred in a good movie - and actually "acted" and not just gave a variation of his (by now more than annoying) constantly bewildered Jack Sparrow routine. Now, if we were talking about 90s Johnny Depp who took risks by choosing challenging oddball roles in such diverse movies as 'Fear and Loathing Las Vegas', 'Dead Man', 'Benny & Joon', 'Ed Wood' etc. ... but alas ... those days are over. Seems like Depp now is content playing the same character over and over again, just collecting his paycheck.

Also, I severely doubt we'll see a Rory biopic anytime soon, if ever.
But then, I'm not a fan of biographical films anyway, so ...

--------------------------------------
Hi Tokeiihto-

Oh Yeah? ;)
http://vimeo.com/53273250
[youtube]http://vimeo.com/53273250[/youtube]
Johnny Depp and The Black Keys MTV Awards Last Year
And yeah, that's Johnny trading licks with Dan Auerbach, not bad for an old washed up actor ;)

Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman- Sweeney Todd,2007

At the beginning- Johnny plays young Benjamin Barker, then fast forward to 20 years later-

I rest my case :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tokeiihto » 28 Nov 2013, 08:24

RobertaSparrow wrote:[...]

What case? I argued that Depp hasn't delivered a really good acting performance in a decade and you just posted three clips that proved my point.
;)

And I'm sorry, but holding a tune and giving a nuanced, multi-faceted performance are two different things.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Nov 2013, 10:11

Tokeiihto wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:[...]

What case? I argued that Depp hasn't delivered a really good acting performance in a decade and you just posted three clips that proved my point.
;)

And I'm sorry, but holding a tune and giving a nuanced, multi-faceted performance are two different things.

:lol: :lol: Actually it was two clips, but okay, I'm not a big bio-pic fan anyway, but I would like to see something positive happen to bring Rory's music to the forefront again- incorporating Rory's music into film might be an effective route- After Breaking Bad's finale Badfinger's Baby Blue hit the charts again, and I think there was also quite a surge for El Paso. And remember in Reservoir Dogs, (Stealers Wheel's) Gerry Rafferty's song Stuck in the Middle With You had quite the resurgence. Perhaps a movie about the turmoil in Ireland during that era, with an emphasis on Rory and his music as a way of trying to bring some semblance of normalcy to the kids there.

Something more like a time capsule of that era. Some new, fresh approach to the subject.

You work in that field- what would your approach be to a film or video highlighting Rory's music, his impact?
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 13 Mar 2014, 20:27

Just saw new tv-show from nbc ... 'Believe'...
actor looks a bit like Rory? :)

Jake McLaughlin

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Mar 2014, 03:52

Well, shape of the face is close, I haven't seen him act, if he is as good an actor as Depp, and can play guitar, perhaps-

A film about that era, that would highlight Rory's early career, and capture the vitality and flavor of the late sixties, early 70s would be good- I am a little leery of a biopic these days, so many have been parodied, and Rory deserves respect and honor, IMO. I hope they get a good, honest, accurate script, and a top notch director if they do move forward with a film. Or if they could somehow get the IOW video and incorporate it in its entirety into a story that would bring in Rory's fans and others interested in that era- Would be great if Rory could star in his own movie, but the IOW footage is probably not long enough for a full-length movie. I wouldn't want to see it just padded out, or turned into another Ghost Blues but with IOW footage added. Ghost Blues was good, but it was also sad- it's painful to watch, at least for me. A movie that incorporates the IOW footage and has a happy, celebratory air to it, because that's what we need, a celebration for Rory and his accomplishments, and really if you look back, he did accomplish a lot- his fame was spread practically by word of mouth, and among people who would know a true artist when they saw one- he always had an inordinate amount of musicians in his audience. And to see him live, on stage, was an intense experience for everyone I know who ever saw him play. His performances were seared into my memory as if it was yesterday, and I'm not alone in that.

So we need a film that can try to approach that wonderful experience- the same feeling that made people like John Lennon walk away and praise Rory's musicianship.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome