I'd Love to play RORY GALLAGHER in a Movie

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

I'd Love to play RORY GALLAGHER in a Movie

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Oct 2013, 11:15

Actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers, says he'd love to play Rory in a movie

Actor to Play Rory Gallagher.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Your thoughts?
Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: I'd Love to play RORY GALLAGHER in a Movie

Postby Flamenca » 12 Oct 2013, 12:34

I have mentioned in an earlier post that I thought Jonathan would be a great choice.

Jonathan comes from a very musical family and is musically talented himself. His brothers made a fabulous demo of five tracks back in 1998 -which I still have and play and love, although it is a bit rusty and hissing now. The performance is superb, vocal harmonies pitch perfect. Kind of reminds me of Extreme 'More Than Words' in terms of performance quality.

I've asked the producer Johnny K to burn me another copy but he won't because the copyright is in dispute between the boys and their Irish record company. Johnny doesn't want to get embroiled as it doesn't concern him. It was recorded in the basement studios of Talkback Television and funded partly by our old boss Mel Smith - best boss I've ever had.

Here's the sleeve ... Jamie is in the middle, Alan to the left and Paul to the right.

Sons of Geri Front.jpg

Sons of Geri0002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamenca on 12 Oct 2013, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Oct 2013, 13:44

Well, I'd still vote for Johnny Depp to play Rory- he looks like the older brother- but I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers would be an excellent choice for Donal.

But whomever they get- I want it to be a mega-hit of a movie.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 12 Oct 2013, 14:04

Johnny Depp would be the best commercial choice as he is such a huge name internationally and could perform the role admirably, but I think Jonathan would understand Rory's psyche better and give an emotionally profound performance.

I still think Stephen Mangan for Donal and Victoria Smurfit for Mona, although they'd have to use prosthetics and make-up to age her accordingly. With a bit of luck her dad and uncle might help to cashflow the production :mrgreen:
Flamenca

Postby loulamb » 12 Oct 2013, 15:02

Oh wow Jonathan would be brilliant as Rory, he is such a passionate actor. I would love to see Johnny Depp also he is a fan of Frankie Miller, maybe he heard of Rory also.

I still think Stephen Mangan for Donal
Agreed on that one.
loulamb

Postby JimLED » 12 Oct 2013, 16:25

But my choice is the same as a couple years ago. Only John Cusack! :)

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby capo » 12 Oct 2013, 17:47

Count me as one who hopes such a movie is never made. How can you distill a life , a man's artistry in a couple of hours? Yes I know all the successful bio pics that have been made over the years, but the one compelling fact of Rory's life, which I'm sure will be sensationalized, he died young, lonely and dependant on prescription drugs and alcohol. This beautiful, talented man will be reduced to another caricature of the tragic rock star for mass entertainment. He deserves better, and in fact has got it, in "Ghost Blues", where the emphasis is on his music, where it belongs. I understand everybodys motivation, to expose our Rory to a mass audience, to share with many what we have known all these years. But I fear this will do little but prove to be just another melodrama for the masses. Even with Donal's and the family's input, I think it will do more harm than good to Rory's great legacy. Just my opinion. Peace.
capo

Postby leprechaun1 » 12 Oct 2013, 20:09

+1 capo, no movie should ever be made about Rory. as fans of him we can share his music with "the masses". all it takes is one listen and the ones who know and understand good music and talent will become fans and help spread his musical legacy. "the masses" are usually brainless sheep who are led by an industry of greed and deceit. we all know Rory was the real thing, not pre-fab poo.
leprechaun1

Postby loulamb » 12 Oct 2013, 20:45

Hopefully we will see the release of live concert footage such as the Isle of Wight and extra Taste footage before any attention is given to a movie. That is the true demonstration of Rory Gallagher.
loulamb

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Oct 2013, 21:10

loulamb wrote:Hopefully we will see the release of live concert footage such as the Isle of Wight and extra Taste footage before any attention is given to a movie. That is the true demonstration of Rory Gallagher.

Yes, but-

A commercially successful theatrical release of a movie about or prominently mentioning or even featuring Rory's music might get the record execs of their butts and into a more accommodating vein. That would be good. That might be enough to pry it out of their greedy little clutches. IMHO.
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome