Two Friends

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Two Friends

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Oct 2013, 11:41

Came across this on You Tube- I'd never seen this particular version before ;)

Rory and Mark
RobertaSparrow

Re: Two Friends

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Oct 2013, 22:01

RobertaSparrow wrote:Came across this on You Tube- I'd never seen this particular version before ;)

Rory and Mark

What I liked about Mark's friendship with Rory. Was that he stayed close with Rory throughout his darkest days..

A friend in need is a friend indeed :)
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 03 Oct 2013, 14:55

What Rory said at 1:36?
"Come on"?

And I had remember another great version of this song, but still can't find it at youtube. :| There's Rory and someone old man with banjo playin... they're two walking out from the shop story and singin'...
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Oct 2013, 15:59

JimLED wrote:What Rory said at 1:36?
"Come on"?

And I had remember another great version of this song, but still can't find it at youtube. :| There's Rory and someone old man with banjo playin... they're two walking out from the shop story and singin'...

I listened to it with the headphones and volume cranked, and I can't really make out what he said, my best guess, it sounds like, "alright," or maybe "well alright." That's one of the fun things about watching him interact with his band, he seems so immersed in his music, almost like he's unaware of his surroundings, but then you can see he's really almost hyper-alert- he constantly communicates with his musicians, and the roadies, it's usually so subtle, and most of the time I have no idea what he's asking of them, but he's very definitely in charge when he's on stage.

Also, IMO, you can see that Mark and Rory are close friends, the way Mark would watch after him, particularly in the later videos where Rory is visibly ill- it's almost like Mark is there for him if he has trouble, which is, from what I have heard and read, what happened during that last show where Rory collapsed on stage- as I understand it, Mark was the first one to him.

It's a puzzle, toward the end Rory was said to be very lonely and despondent, but I think he was so used to being independent, of being the boss, that he isolated himself away as his illness became worse, but he had family and friends who loved him and would have been there for him in a flash if he would have let them. :(
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 03 Oct 2013, 19:19

Rory says 'well alright' - to let Mark know that he (Rory) is now ready to swap places i.e. Rory to hang back and play support whilst Mark (who was playing a support role) takes the lead. Yeah - I think Mark was a true friend to Rory - right to the end. I think he tends to get overlooked on these boards because most of us are old timers who remember Rory best from the early 70s.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Oct 2013, 20:28

Flamenca wrote:Rory says 'well alright' - to let Mark know that he (Rory) is now ready to swap places i.e. Rory to hang back and play support whilst Mark (who was playing a support role) takes the lead. Yeah - I think Mark was a true friend to Rory - right to the end. I think he tends to get overlooked on these boards because most of us are old timers who remember Rory best from the early 70s.

Perhaps overlooked by some. But just in case he doubts it, there are many who do know- I've heard about it, how he sat with Rory toward the end, played for him. Makes me tear up if I think on it. Thank You Mark Feltham for being Rory's friend- even when it was a hard row. Bless you for being there :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 08 Oct 2013, 22:22

I have seen Mark Feltham in Nine Below Zero four times now and he is a great harmonica player. Every time I see him its a humbling thought that he was there for Rory right till the end. Also when Rory passed away he left this world hearing his own music played by Mark on his harmonica. Remember Rory loved his music and he sacraficed so much for it, so it was good of Mark to play Rory's music to him.Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Oct 2013, 08:09

SUBY1974 wrote:I have seen Mark Feltham in Nine Below Zero four times now and he is a great harmonica player. Every time I see him its a humbling thought that he was there for Rory right till the end. Also when Rory passed away he left this world hearing his own music played by Mark on his harmonica. Remember Rory loved his music and he sacraficed so much for it, so it was good of Mark to play Rory's music to him.Subrata. x

RobertaSparrow wrote:I think Mark was a true friend to Rory - right to the end. I think he tends to get overlooked on these boards because most of us are old timers who remember Rory best from the early 70s.

Yes, this is all true.. "a friend & fellow musician in need.. is a friend & fellow musician indeed." :)

Anyone know of any other friends besides Mark and Tom, that stood by Rory's side until the very sad end??? :cry:

Lou Martin did play at Rory's funeral but I don't know it he visited Rory in hospital?
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Oct 2013, 16:12

Actually it was Flamenca's quote, but I agree wholeheartedly, Mark is a true friend.

Mark wasn't there in the band from the beginning, when Rory had the world at his feet. He came into the scene later, at a time when maybe it wasn't so easy to roll with the ups and downs that Rory went through. Unlike some, who bailed on Rory when he needed them the most. Mark was Rory's friend during the most difficult years of his career. In later videos, you can see him, standing in the background, watching Rory, almost watching over him. He stood there on stage, supporting Rory through his last performance on that January night. Played his music to Rory to try to reach him, comfort him when he fell into a coma. Stayed there with him until the end.

It isn't fair to only count those who came to see Rory when he was in the hospital, though. By all accounts, Rory tried to shield his friends from knowing how gravely ill he was. And it isn't easy to maintain that last vigil at the end. But Mark did it, along with Tom and Rory's family.
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 11 Oct 2013, 17:05

How about Bob Dylan?
How good as friend he was for Rory?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome