A Rory Film List?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

A Rory Film List?

Postby capo » 28 Sep 2013, 21:01

Building on or borrowing from Suby's and Cynthia's great ideal of a Rory booklist, why not a Rory film list too? Part of the appeal of these endeavors, I think, is to ascertain Rory's intellectual or inner life, to see what made him 'tick', and how these factors influenced his art, which is why we are all here in the first place, as his fans. The Cinema was important to him, maybe not as much as his reading habits, but important. For instance, we know from Dan Muise's fine book that Rory, near the last years of his life, was profoundly moved by two of German director Wim Wenders films, "The American Friend", one of his top 5 favorites says Donal, and particulary "Lightning Over Water", about the last days of director Nicholas Ray's life. I bought both of these years ago to experience and see what so moved Rory. We also know he idolized the French actor Alain Delon and his films, even registering at hotels using Delon's name. Rory was a big fan of the French New Wave, and directors like Godard, Trurraut, and all. It might be harder to find movie titles that Rory loved than book titles, but perhaps others might venture a few. Peace.
capo

Re: A Rory Film List?

Postby SUBY1974 » 28 Sep 2013, 22:12

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Sep 2013, 02:43

capo wrote:. For instance, we know from Dan Muise's fine book that Rory, near the last years of his life, was profoundly moved by two of German director Wim Wenders films, "The American Friend", one of his top 5 favorites says Donal, and particulary "Lightning Over Water", about the last days of director Nicholas Ray's life. I bought both of these years ago to experience and see what so moved Rory.

I watched Lightening Over Water after I read the same passage in the Muise book. That film couldn't have helped his outlook during that time of his life. It's a very dark film, very sad. If it was me, I'd have tried to drag him out of his apartment and maybe make him watch some Marx Brothers or something, something to make him laugh.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 29 Sep 2013, 09:26

Yes Roberta you right, he needed the lighter side of the human condition, not the dark, but I think he strongly indentified with the dying Ray. Like Ray, he felt all his great work was behind him and he was fading from view and being forgotten. Rory was at this time viewing old clips of his performances from the past, the glory days, just as Ray would drag himself to Film seminars and show clips of his old films, like "Rebel Without A Cause" and others. I'm sure Rory also admired Ray's great diginty and grace as his life ebbed away. I think all Rory fans should view the film, not only to gauge Rory's mindset but also a fine piece of Hollywood history from a great director. As an aside, the film shows this once famous director, in the end, with just a few loyal, loving friends caring and supporting him. Like him, Rory had Donal, Tom O' Driscoll, his Mother and a few others. I think Rory saw the parallels between his and Ray's life unfolding in similiar fashion and was moved by it. Rory fans should check it out. And, Peace.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Sep 2013, 16:06

capo wrote: . . . he strongly identified with the dying Ray. Like Ray, he felt all his great work was behind him and he was fading from view and being forgotten. . .

I agree, I believe that was Rory's mindset toward the end. It's very evident from watching video of Rory in his later years that he was being overwhelmed by self-doubt and uncertainty, and that combined with his declining health was part of the unrelenting vicious cycle that finally took him. But I think he was too young to feel that way, and when I saw that film that was the parallel that kept coming back to me.

Nicholas Ray lived to be 68 and died of lung cancer, artistically he was brilliant, but like many artists his personal life was a wreck.

Rory was only 47 when he died. He was young and so artistically gifted- much too young to allow himself to believe his best days were behind him. I can see the parallels, and that he saw how Ray stood up to meet his fate. But it has been said that Rory watched that film 'til he wore it out and his friend got him another copy.

I have a dvd of the same, and I have only been able to watch it twice- it is a very painful film to see, because it is a documentary of a man being overtaken by the illness that would eventually kill him. And toward the end, likely due to the intense pain medications he was taking, and the advanced stages of the illness affecting his mind, you can see some heartbreaking, painful monologues where Ray is so confused toward the end that he appears lost within himself.

From page 63 of the Muise book:

"Rory had close friend Rudi gerlach send him another copy of Lightning Over Water as he felt his copy had been confiscated."

I'm not judging, but if someone did "confiscate" the film to keep him from repeatedly watching it, I think I can understand why. It sounds like he was so immersed in that film that it might not be healthy for him. But again, it is all too easy to look back and try to second guess those events toward the end, and it does no one any good.

"[Rory] felt all his great work was behind him and he was fading from view and being forgotten." As fans, isn't that why we all meet up here on these forums? To do what we can to make sure that doesn't happen. Rory was never forgotten, but the lines of communication were different then- most of us just didn't know what he was going through. We can't, won't, let him fade from view and be forgotten.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 29 Sep 2013, 16:21

RobertaSparrow wrote:"[Rory] felt all his great work was behind him and he was fading from view and being forgotten." As fans, isn't that why we all meet up here on these forums? To do what we can to make sure that doesn't happen. Rory was never forgotten, but the lines of communication were different then- most of us just didn't know what he was going through. We can't, won't, let him fade from view and be forgotten.

Hi Cynthia,

I echo those exact thoughts & feelings about Rory..

RORY GALLAGHER was a legend and too great a genius and talent to be forgotten ;)

"WE CAN'T, WON'T.. LET HIM FADE FROM VIEW AND BE FORGOTTEN! "

AMEN!
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Sep 2013, 12:10

Okay, I know, Rory couldn't have seen Breaking Bad (at least not in the conventional way), but I just saw the ending- and I bet he would have loved it! It's a crime drama and also a western in the traditional sense. No Spoilers Here (I am going to Breaking Bad latest episode after this)

But Rory loved the old westerns, and crime cinema. And I knew after I heard the title of the finale, Felina, that somehow the song El Paso would work in there somehow.

Oh, Rory I wish you were here so we could talk about it! I know you'd have loved it! :D

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl.

Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina,
Wicked and evil while casting a spell.
My love was deep for this Mexican maiden;
I was in love but in vain, I could tell.

One night a wild young cowboy came in,
Wild as the West Texas wind.
Dashing and daring,
A drink he was sharing
With wicked Felina,
The girl that I loved.

So in anger I

Challenged his right for the love of this maiden.
Down went his hand for the gun that he wore.
My challenge was answered in less than a heart-beat;
The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor.

Just for a moment I stood there in silence,
Shocked by the FOUL EVIL deed I had done.
Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there;
I had but one chance and that was to run.

Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran,
Out where the horses were tied.
I caught a good one.
It looked like it could run.
Up on its back
And away I did ride,

Just as fast as I

Could from the West Texas town of El Paso
Out to the bad-lands of New Mexico.

Back in El Paso my life would be worthless.
Everything's gone in life; nothing is left.
It's been so long since I've seen the young maiden
My love is stronger than my fear of death.

I saddled up and away I did go,
Riding alone in the dark.
Maybe tomorrow
A bullet may find me.
Tonight nothing's worse than this
Pain in my heart.

And at last here I

Am on the hill overlooking El Paso;
I can see Rosa's cantina below.
My love is strong and it pushes me onward.
Down off the hill to Felina I go.

Off to my right I see five mounted cowboys;
Off to my left ride a dozen or more.
Shouting and shooting I can't let them catch me.
I have to make it to Rosa's back door.

Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
Though I am trying
To stay in the saddle,
I'm getting weary,
Unable to ride.

But my love for

Felina is strong and I rise where I've fallen,
Though I am weary I can't stop to rest.
I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle.
I feel the bullet go deep in my chest.

From out of nowhere Felina has found me,
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side.
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for,
One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome