RADIO With DONAL GALLAGHER & IAN RANKIN About KICKBACK CITY

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: RADIO With DONAL GALLAGHER & IAN RANKIN About KICKBACK C

Postby Flamenca » 20 Sep 2013, 19:59

Yes I enjoyed reading Jean-Noel's book too.
It is poetic and romantic in style, giving an historical insight, but there is also a real affection, written by a close friend of Rory's.
Here's a photo of Rory's bookshelf.

Rory bookshelf.jpg

I've wondered if Rory read any of Ian Rankin's books.
I suspect he must have, as Rebus although Scottish (not Rory's favourite gum shoe location) has been a strong seller from the early 1980's, and the books are a terrific read.
I'm sure he would have loved Rebus' dry, cutting, quick wit - a man of the street and bar, unlike the English and Irish white collar detectives. Dan McAfferty would have most likely mentioned them to him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Sep 2013, 02:57

:shock: My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but even in my younger days I would never be able to make out the titles to any of those books. I see he had a Beatles album over his doorway, though :D

I know he liked Patricia Highsmith's books, and Daschiell Hammett's stuff, and between those two there are quite a few. Perhaps the Gallaghers could provide a list if they have spare time?

I bet with all the traveling he used to do he would have liked to have a Kindle reader, a Paperwhite or something so he could carry his library around with him wherever he was. Not the same as a paper book, but a whole lot easier to pack and carry.

And I agree with you both, Jean-Noel Coghe's book is a pleasant read, as is Marcus Connaughton. Despite any flaws, in reading them you can tell they were written with much love and respect for Rory, and I think he deserves that. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 21 Sep 2013, 14:07

We think alike!
I was just thinking this morning that it was a real shame Rory never lived long enough to experience Kindle or even the internet.
I suspect he would have been like a kid in a sweet shop, picking and choosing which titles to load up and take with him.
I wonder if he ever had an Apple? I doubt if he would have been a pc man, but he wasn't a technophobe - quite the contrary. So my question to the Gallaghers would be 'did Rory ever get an Apple computer?'
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Sep 2013, 16:51

From everything I've read and all the interviews I've heard, I think Rory would have taken to the technology like a duck to water after it evolved past the "exclusively nerd" phase- I think he would have loved being able to peruse the world in a millisecond with the click of a mouse, or use the web as a means to reach his audience in new and novel ways and to hell with the stuffed suits and their rules. :twisted:

And I agree with you and Suby, I'd love to be able to just spend time talking with Rory, asking him his views on a spectrum of things- books, music, movies and good T.V.. And I would love to hear his predictions and opinions on Breaking Bad, now that it's winding up to its explosive conclusion.

He was such an intelligent, artistic, multifaceted man.

I bet Rory would have taken to it so well (probably with a little help from his nephew Daniel) that we might have even been able to chat with him over the "internets." :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 23 Sep 2013, 22:45

Hmm bookcases.....I am drawn to them, like a moth to a flame...... 8-) On a serious note Rory kept his books nicely. I think being reader like me he would find a Kindle very useful. I mean my family were getting sick of all the books around me so for them a Kindle was a godsend. However like Simon tells me the smell and feel of a good book in your hand is entirely different experience - heavenly. I am sure Daniel would have shown Rory how to use a Kindle and he would be fine with it. Guys love technical stuff. I am not a whizz at technology, I just know the basics but Rory would have been adept at it. He would find the Kindle useful but I have this feeling he too would love the feel and smell of a good book in his hands. My folks are Rory''s generation and my father won't touch a Kindle. He loves his books. Oh yes I would definitely have invited him to our book groups talks and we could all sit outside a London pub on a lazy hazy summer day, with hot chocolate, cappuccinos and just talk about books and writing in general or about anything. I would have shown him my manuscripts on an Ipad etc. Thats my idea of heaven in good old London town. He would have been amazed by all the internet technology now. We really are in the digital age! I would have loved to have heard his views and he is a very intelligent man. He is 26yrs ahead of me so his knowledge of life and art would have been vast. I am in awe of him. Subrata. x

Me thinks its time to change my book avatar to another book avatar. Will do so soon.

"Writing for me, is simply thinking through my fingers". Isaac Asimov
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Sep 2013, 13:39

In listening to the interview I kept thinking, I'd love to dig through the boxes that contained Rory's collection of novels. The way Donal described it, sounds like Rory probably went through a novel every few days. The assortment of books in the photos of Rory's bookshelf, the ones we usually see, look more like almost reference-type books, but the ones he had packed away, the ones he took with him on his travels, that he read to pass the time, those are the books I'd like to wander through.

My mom was like that, her tastes in books were crime, but also mystery, horror, suspense, fantasy, and sci fi, and she'd go through shopping bags full of paperbacks in a month's time, then I'd go through and pick out about half as many to read. She was a voracious reader- I loved to read, but I could never keep up.

Rory sounds like that- someone who would be hard to buy for, if he were to ask someone to pick up some books for him, it would be impossible to second-guess what he would have already read.

This project sounds like more of a labor of love for Donal- sounds like he's not really into that genre of writing, going through and reading from Rory's book collection. Especially the switch to audio books. Audio books just aren't the same, no matter how gifted the voice actor, IMO. Reading the words, I think it uses different neural paths, the story gets into your mind and it gets processed, digested. But audio books, it just wouldn't be the same- the words flow over you, and some of them get taken in, but it isn't nearly as immersive.

But i love to read that type of story. I never read any of Ian Rankin's books, but now is as good a time to start as any :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby loulamb » 01 Oct 2013, 21:35

Yes I enjoyed reading Jean-Noel's book too.
It is poetic and romantic in style, giving an historical insight, but there is also a real affection, written by a close friend of Rory's.

Read this recently, it seems almost to be a noir in itself. Completely different view of the Rory that Gerry painted ,who seemed to view Rory as just another bloke rather than a romantic figure. Although Gerry's book was controversial, in a way I actually preferred it for this reason. However there are very nice pictures I had never seen before and it was a touching read.

On Rorys shelf there is the Golden Stone Brian Jones Biography, David Harrison art book, London Rock Routes, a few Dylan biographies and Beatles and the other books that a more obvious. Forget there was no internet back then so it was important to have your own "wikipedia".
loulamb

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome