RADIO With DONAL GALLAGHER & IAN RANKIN About KICKBACK CITY

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

RADIO With DONAL GALLAGHER & IAN RANKIN About KICKBACK CITY

Postby SUBY1974 » 17 Sep 2013, 20:25

Donal Gallagher and Ian Rankin interview from this mornings RTE Radio 1 talking about Kickback City
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-john-murray-show/ Just click on Podcasts and click on Rory section. Just click listen and download. Subrata. X
SUBY1974

Re: RADIO With DONAL GALLAGHER & IAN RANKIN About KICKBACK C

Postby Flamenca » 17 Sep 2013, 21:07

Loved that! Thanks so much for posting!
Looking forward to both books in the near future!
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Sep 2013, 02:35

Flamenca,
Cute guy on your avatar. Do you know him?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 18 Sep 2013, 15:18

RobertaSparrow wrote:Flamenca,
Cute guy on your avatar. Do you know him?

My new avatar of you-know-who ... the usual suspect on this site ... was taken in 1976. The summer of 1976 was a scorcher and it went on for over 3 months ... This is how I choose to remember him, although I hadn't met him then, but I have very fond memories of him later on, sitting in a bar or pub, with a pint just shooting the breeze :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Flamenca on 19 Sep 2013, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
Flamenca

Postby SUBY1974 » 18 Sep 2013, 22:04

I really enjoyed the interview on my Blackberry. Its interesting writers are said to be frustrated rock musicians! ;) No I look forward this new book. I can't really discuss the books Rory loved because i never read them. My genre being the Supernatural. I have read CAPO by Peter Watson and I loved that. Ian Rankin is right in the fact that writers observe a lot and I do see things differently from other folk and your mind is always making up storylines - thats what attracts me and I love using the power of imagination since I was a little girl. Interesting about the hotel incident and all those police. Hope Donal and Ian were ok.

When I heard about Rory trunk of books that use to travel with him that what got my interest! Talk about my love of books. :lol: :lol: This would have been a treasure trove for me!!! I would have been the first to grab the trunk of books!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What would have Rory thought? :roll: :lol: :lol:

No on a serious note I would have love to have sat with him in London outside an old pub and talked to him about books and literature in general. I especially love poetry and writer cafes and there are always writers around. Perhaps he could have joined us for coffee and we could have all discussed books. Yeah that would have been nice!

Yes Flamenca that avatar is nice. Very handsome looking man there indeed! ;) :D :D :D

In 1976 I was two - just learning how to walk and Susie was just born. :D
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 18 Sep 2013, 22:15

Crime novels are really big now and I went to a Crime Writers Evening on the 30/08/2013. Historical crime is very popular. My friend Leigh Russell Crime Books have made her into a famous author! I really don't have the desire to write crime even though I did work for the Serious Fraud Office, CPS and Magistrates at the beginning of the Millenium before my life changing experiences. Anyway I better read the Millenium series of Stieg Larsson's books cos I know my cousin Anjan will start to grill me "Have you read it yet?" "Er ....well no" and then we will start bickering. Family eh? :roll: One good advice that one of the crime writers told us was "Write a book worth writing and worth reading". Also crime novels always have something to offer readers - how the crime is solved. I do love Agatha Christie and Ruth Rendalls books. The history of detective stories exhibition at the British Library that I went to for my birthday was really good. Rory would have loved it! Subrata. x

Why don't we start a unique thread and discuss the books RG loved? x

"I cannot imagine life without books any more than I can imagine life without breathing" Terry Brooks
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Sep 2013, 17:25

Thanks Suby,

Here below is a more direct root to this radio interview ;)

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplay ... %2D2013%3A
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 19 Sep 2013, 17:43

SUBY1974 wrote:Crime novels are really big now and I went to a Crime Writers Evening on the 30/08/2013. Historical crime is very popular. My friend Leigh Russell Crime Books have made her into a famous author! I really don't have the desire to write crime even though I did work for the Serious Fraud Office, CPS and Magistrates at the beginning of the Millenium before my life changing experiences. Anyway I better read the Millenium series of Stieg Larsson's books cos I know my cousin Anjan will start to grill me "Have you read it yet?" "Er ....well no" and then we will start bickering. Family eh? :roll: One good advice that one of the crime writers told us was "Write a book worth writing and worth reading". Also crime novels always have something to offer readers - how the crime is solved. I do love Agatha Christie and Ruth Rendalls books. The history of detective stories exhibition at the British Library that I went to for my birthday was really good. Rory would have loved it! Subrata. x

Why don't we start a unique thread and discuss the books RG loved? x

"I cannot imagine life without books any more than I can imagine life without breathing" Terry Brooks

That might be an interesting thread- sort of like Oprah's book club, only a Rory's reading list sort of thing- but

1. Where would we get a definitive list of Rory's books, and

2. Some of those books can be a bit gruesome. I'm kinda used to it, I grew up reading horror, mystery, sci fi, and crime stuff. I think Rory's focus was more on crime and espionage, but what I mean is- some of that stuff is not everyone's cup of tea.

I mean, true crime stories like In Cold Blood, and the graphic stuff that used to be printed in the true crime magazines like the Black Dahlia murder and the Keddie Murders could be very descriptive (in retrospect I'm surprised my mom let me read some of that stuff- but that was what she had in her collection), but if you're up for it, I'd be willing-
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 20 Sep 2013, 12:57

A Rory Gallagher Bookclub! Yeah! I can start the thread off with Capo. Rory we can get everyone of your fans reading and especially your books! Cool! Also The Sunday Bookclub I created in London is doing well. Let books rule the world! Yeah baby! Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby capo » 20 Sep 2013, 18:00

As far as a list goes, on page 142 of Jean-Noel Coghe's Book "Rory Gallagher: A Biography", is a photo of a couple of shelves of Rory's bookcase. But except for Peter Watson's "Capo", the rest appear to be all music books and biographies. Maybe someone with a sharper set of eyes can make out the titles. As a aside, although this biography is much criticized, it always had a certain charm for me. Anyway.
capo

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome