Rory's music paired with crime drama

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's music paired with crime drama

Postby RobertaSparrow » 17 Sep 2013, 05:45

With that new Ian Rankin/Rory Gallagher project in the works I was thinking of all the different songs that Rory wrote that would fit into the different well-known crime/murder/thriller stories.

Jay Jay had suggested when we got off on a tangent in that other thread that perhaps this discussion belongs elsewhere, like in the Kickback City thread. So this I guess is as good a time or place as any.

I am absolutely hooked on Breaking Bad. I blame my daughter. She rented some of the first season, and at first I would sit there doing something else and trying to ignore the storyline, but the way it has unfolded, it just draws you in. So now we are down to the last three episodes.

I'm not going to ruin the story for anyone who hasn't caught up to the rest of us, or put up any gross or violent images. Jay Jay was of the opinion that Rory wouldn't have enjoyed Breaking Bad- but I think he would have- I've read about some of the books and films he enjoyed so much, and I think he would be as engrossed as any of us.

So, if I were to pair a Rory song with Breaking Bad, I think I would choose Shadowplay. The storyline in Breaking Bad shows Walt, a seemingly good, decent man driven to extremes by the circumstances of his life, and faced with tough decisions, giving over more and more of what was good in him to the darkness within- his alter ego, Heisenberg, and finally Heisenberg seems to be all that is left of the man:

IN THE FLINTY LIGHT, IT’S MIDNIGHT, AND STARS COLLIDE
SHADOWS RUN IN FULL FLIGHT, TO RUN SEEK AND HIDE
WELL I’M STILL NOT SURE WHAT PART I’LL PLAY

IN THIS SHADOW PLAY, THIS SHADOW PLAY

IN THE HALF LIGHT, ON THIS MAD NIGHT
I HEAR A VOICE IN TIME
WELL I LOOK BACK AND SEE A HALF SMILE
THEN IT’S GONE FROM SIGHT
WON’T YOU TELL ME HOW I CAN FIND MY WAY

SOUNDS COME CRASHING AND I HEAR LAUGHING
ALL THOSE LIGHTS JUST BLAZED AWAY
I FEEL A LITTLE STRANGE INSIDE,
A LITTLE DOCTOR JEKYLL,
A LITTLE MISTER HYDE

SOUNDS COME CRASHING AND I HEAR LAUGHING
ALL THOSE LIGHTS JUST BLAZED AWAY
I FEEL A LITTLE STRANGE INSIDE,
A LITTLE DOCTOR JEKYLL,
A LITTLE MISTER HYDE

Anyway, I think Rory's song Shadowplay would work very well with Breaking Bad- I bet Rory would enjoy reworking it and weaving it into the story.

So, any suggestions on which of Rory's songs you'd pair with which crime story, Breaking Bad or maybe another? But no spoilers :twisted:

P.S., the actor Bryan Cranston is an American of Irish descent ;)
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory's music paired with crime drama

Postby capo » 17 Sep 2013, 16:42

I recall that Rory once said in an interview that one of his ambitions was to score a soundtrack to a movie. He loved movies and knew violence was a constant in them and enjoyed them. People shouldnt assume what he would or would'nt like. One of my favorite songs he wrote, "Last Of The Independants" was based on the great Walter Matthau flick "Charlie Varrick", which was quite violent and Rory loved. As to a song, if they ever make a movie on the American whistleblower, Edward Snowden, I think "Philby" would be quite appropriate.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Sep 2013, 17:09

RobertaSparrow wrote:Jay Jay was of the opinion that Rory wouldn't have enjoyed Breaking Bad-
capo wrote:People shouldnt assume what he would or would'nt like.

No No, I'm not assuming what or what not Rory would like. It's just that I have to as a moderator, see what is not too violent to show on here
As there are really young Rory fans I know that look into this forum. Forum Rules " Please do not post any Offensive (meaning violent also) pictures or videos "

Btw, Rory did do the soundtrack for a TV Crime drama also. Made into a DVD film "A Sense Of Freedom". This was pretty violent too.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sense-Freedom-D ... se+freedom
This was the song Frankie & Rory did for the end credits. Well it was at the end when I first saw it on TV?

Jay Jay

Postby Flamenca » 17 Sep 2013, 17:14

One thing watching threat and/or violence on the screen, witnessing and/or experiencing it in real life is horrible.
It's usually the music in scary movies that gives me the creeps anyway.
Switch the sound off, and it's 'so what?' ...

I'm with the cold war spy stuff too - I reckon Rory could have written fabulous tracks for those, particularly pre-unification in Germany ... and of course, Spooks ... I read somewhere that when Kudos started making Spooks, they used to receive anonymous brown envelopes containing insider information on spying techniques etc. and ideas for plots ;) ;) ;) Even if untrue, it's still great publicity :lol:
Flamenca

Postby JimLED » 17 Sep 2013, 20:19

Also, we're forgot about sport drama Lights Out ( it was canceled two years ago ) where four Rory songs has been played in the show! :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Sep 2013, 02:41

capo wrote:I recall that Rory once said in an interview that one of his ambitions was to score a soundtrack to a movie. He loved movies and knew violence was a constant in them and enjoyed them. People shouldnt assume what he would or would'nt like. One of my favorite songs he wrote, "Last Of The Independants" was based on the great Walter Matthau flick "Charlie Varrick", which was quite violent and Rory loved. As to a song, if they ever make a movie on the American whistleblower, Edward Snowden, I think "Philby" would be quite appropriate.

RE: Last of the Independents, Charlie Varrick, and violence-

Charlie Varrick had a line in it that inspired one of Quentin Tarrentino's famous lines in Pulp Fiction, "I'm going to get to work on the 'homes here with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch . . .
You hear that! . . . I'm going to get medieval on your a**!"
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Sep 2013, 02:47

Flamenca wrote:One thing watching threat and/or violence on the screen, witnessing and/or experiencing it in real life is horrible.
It's usually the music in scary movies that gives me the creeps anyway.
Switch the sound off, and it's 'so what?' ...

Yes the real thing is much much worse. But I found, from watching movies and reading books of a crime, mystery, even horror genre, that when really frightening things happen it's not as frightening at the moment, because you've mentally thought it through before, "what would I do in that situation," or "no way would I go in there, . . ." etc. It's only happened a few times, and afterwards you can fall to pieces emotionally, but in the moment, it's almost like, I've seen this before. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Sep 2013, 18:10

Jay Jay wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:Jay Jay was of the opinion that Rory wouldn't have enjoyed Breaking Bad-
capo wrote:People shouldnt assume what he would or would'nt like.

No No, I'm not assuming what or what not Rory would like. It's just that I have to as a moderator, see what is not too violent to show on here
As there are really young Rory fans I know that look into this forum. Forum Rules " Please do not post any Offensive (meaning violent also) pictures or videos "

Hi Jay Jay,

I know, and I wasn't criticizing you. And honestly I didn't consider Rory's young upcoming fan base when I posted that earlier clip- actually didn't realize how "mature audience" that clip was, so actually I'm sorry I put you in that position, of needing to remove it.

Yeah, I watched A Sense of Freedom when I had heard Rory had done the soundtrack for it. It is indeed violent and a little disturbing. I don't think Rory was averse to a violent scene in movies or books- if he was, he chose the wrong genre in his reading and viewing tastes. I think he was more put off by language- colorful metaphors so to speak.

This one, Blood Simple- the Coen Brothers' first theatrical release- About a man who hires a private detective/investigator to follow his wife- then hires the same guy to murder her and her boyfriend. But things are never that simple-

The movie came out in '84. I'd love to know if Rory ever saw it- it's really a very good story inspired by Dashiell Hammett's work, with a little Hitchcock thrown in for good measure-
I think Rory's Secret Agent would work well for this one, although he uses the term secret agent differently- here it would be a private investigator or private detective :ugeek:
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Sep 2013, 07:07

Off the Handle-

WELL I FLY OFF THE HANDLE A LITTLE TOO FAST
YOU KNOW FRIENDS SAY I LOOK LIKE AN ANGRY MAN
LIKE A BAD MEMORY YOU TURNED UP AGAIN
I FIND IT HARD NOT TO RAISE MY HAND

WELL ITS ONE OF THOSE TOWNS
WHERE YOU’D RATHER NOT STAY
COME BACK AND SEE IT SOME OTHER DAY

WELL ITS ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS
WHEN YOU KNOW YOU’RE ALONE
FEELING HALF CRAZY
JUST BODY AND SOUL

I Am the One Who knocks
RobertaSparrow

Postby innuendo » 22 Nov 2013, 17:27

imagine if there was a rory song used for the last scene of breaking bad instead of badfinger's song. that song would certainly become one of the most popular rory songs and would introduce rory to millions of breaking bad fans who would hopefully recognize the quality of rory as they did of breaking bad.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome