A Sad Cork Tribute

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

A Sad Cork Tribute

Postby newsmedia » 11 Sep 2013, 22:50

Hi folks

I have enjoyed Rory's music since before the days of Taste. So what better thing to try than a visit to Rory Gallagher's pub in Mac Curtain Street in Cork City when I visited over the weekend of 7-9 September with a friend from Clifden, Galway.

We had heard from another bar attendant that the bar had 're-opened' and so took a taxi from the city centre.

On leaving and paying off the cabbie we approached the entrance to Rory Gallagher's bar to be confronted by a doorman who didn't even look at us, but just snapped: "You've had enough". When I asked what he said, he repeated the comment, again without even looking at us.

We walked away in absolute disgust.

This to me was an utter insult to Rory's memory. I stipulate that neither myself or my friend had 'had enough' - we went back to the city centre and visited several more bars without any hassle before going back to our digs at one of the Cork hostels.

It is regrettable that I make such a comment for my opening post, but that was the reality I found on an otherwise extremely pleasant visit to Cork City.

Rgds
A musician journalist.
newsmedia

Re: A Sad Cork Tribute

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Sep 2013, 17:48

Hello Newsmedia,

Never been to Cork. Never been to Ireland. But I will, someday soon, hopefully next year. I hope to leave my preconceived notions about what it will be like at my front door when I leave my home and get on the plane.

One shouldn't judge a city, or its townspeople, by the actions of one doorman who maybe had a bad day. If everyone did that, then no one would ever want to visit America :)

So tell us, how did you first hear of Rory and his magic with a guitar?

8-) RobertaSparrow
RobertaSparrow

Re: A Sad Cork Tribute

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Sep 2013, 22:35

I have been to Ireland four times and my first visit was in 2000 to Dublin long before I came across Rory's music. In 2000 I fell in love with Ireland and 2007 i fell in love with Rory and his music. I have always find the people of Ireland warm, welcoming and lovely. In Cork the folk there are warm and pleasant too. They are always helpful and make time for you. In London its rush and rush and money, money and more money. In London people have no time for people and I am a Londoner myself! Don't let a doorman ruin it for you. I will be going to Cork next year again for my annual visit and to see Rory in Ballincollig. Subrata. x Its good the bar has been refurbished. In May we saw builders at work on the pub and welcome to Roryland! X
SUBY1974

Return to Introduction & Welcome for New Members