Long Haired Genius & Good Guys?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Long Haired Genius & Good Guys?

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Sep 2013, 20:08

RobertaSparrow wrote:Well, there was another thread where we sort of got off on a tangent- the Rory being Irish one- we were talking about dialects, and accents, and all that, and LouLamb mentioned watching the old film noir movie, The Third Man- said to be one of Rory's favorites. She had mentioned some of the slang in that old movie was difficult to understand. I saw that movie a long time ago, didn't remember there being a lot of slang in it, so last night decided to re-watch it. (and Lou, if you're reading this- Now that theme music to The Third Man is stuck in my head- I blame you :lol: :lol: :lol: ) The story was written by Graham Greene.

It was one of Rory's favorites- as were a lot of those crime movies and novels. The main difference between the old film noir suspense/mystery/crime stories of that time, and modern-day ones like Breaking Bad is the amount of violence that is permitted to be depicted v. the amount that is alluded to. That story opens with a dead body floating in the river, and is from the perspective of a friend of the main character who comes to town for a visit and finds his friend has been murdered. It's about contraband, black market peddling of tainted medication, a hospital walk through of the protaganist viewing the maimed, deformed, crippled, and dying children caused by the third man's selling of tainted drugs, subplot of a woman used and scorned by this same third man, and ends with a chase scene through the underground sewers of Vienna where several people are shot in cold blood, and the protaganist corners his wounded, dying friend in a dead end in this same filthy sewer and executes him, again, in cold blood. The movie then ends where it began, in a graveyard.

So, I must agree to disagree, especially with the new Kickback City event looming on the horizon. I think Rory enjoyed a good crime story/mystery. I know he didn't much care for bad language, but as far as story line, crime novels and stories are by definition, violent. Some very violent. Even in films such as A Touch Of Evil, there are some violent, horrific scenes there that rival any of the modern ones, and I don't know but I bet Rory enjoyed that one too. I'd be curious to ask Donal, did Rory ever see The Godfather? I bet he did, and I bet he liked it.

I'm sure he liked Laurel and Hardy too. Who wouldn't?

Sorry again Cynthia,

Should not this post above be on the Kickback City topic?? Yes we know bad guys are usually depicted in those sort of movies / films.

On this topic I wanted preferably for us to point out more on the title theme if possible more..Long Haired Genius's & "Good Guys"

Bono (U2) quote after Rory's passing.. " Rory Gallagher was not just one of the top ten guitarists of all time. He was one of the top ten ' good guys' of all time " :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

PS. I always thought John Lennon looked more gentlemanly and more of a pacifist with longer hair. Rather than when he had it all cut off?
PPS. Give peace a chance. Mr Abama, Mr Cameron, etc etc and grow your hair :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby Tokeiihto » 12 Sep 2013, 20:17

Jay Jay wrote: PS. I always thought John Lennon looked more gentlemanly and more of a pacifist with longer hair. Rather than when he had it all cut off?

Well, John Lennon was a fantastic musician. By far my favorite Beatle. Unfortunately he also was a wife-beater, cheater, horrible father to his son and a hypocrite. Rather despicable character traits for a long-haired genius.

By the way, this is how the person we know as Jesus Christ most likely looked like according to historians.

"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Sep 2013, 20:20

@Tokeiihito,

Thanks for posting the link to the photos, there are some outstanding ones there- Not so sure about the one with Rory with bunny ears though-

@JayJay,

8-) Re- my first post on the subject- I did talk about Rory's hair, and how wearing it long at the time that he did had more to do with his hero/genius status than the fact that it was long. It was what he valued as a person, not what he had on his head, that made him the hero he was, in my eyes, anyway.

Of course, the long, gorgeous hair didn't hurt. . . :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Sep 2013, 20:31

[quote="Jay Jay"]
Also about JC art. As an ex art student myself learning the history of art and all it's artists. I must point out to our other members, that maybe don't know. You've only picked out a surreal artist in Salvador Dali. Probably the only one that depicted Jesus like this.

Anyway I did not start the topic to dicuss this. I'm just trying to point out that most famous guys with long hair in history are more likely to be more..
"Gentlemanly Genius's" of which Rory Gallagher undoubtedly was one of them. :)
-------------

Re: art depicting Christ, and Michelangelo and artistic license:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Sep 2013, 20:34

That's better guys, all on topic :) :)

Slainte, Jay Jay

PS. Why is there not long haired smiley's on a Rory forum. JimLED can you not sort that for us :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby Tokeiihto » 12 Sep 2013, 20:36

RobertaSparrow wrote:@Tokeiihito,

Thanks for posting the link to the photos, there are some outstanding ones there- Not so sure about the one with Rory with bunny ears though-

Wait, what?
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby Flamenca » 12 Sep 2013, 21:15

Tokeiihto wrote:
Jay Jay wrote: PS. I always thought John Lennon looked more gentlemanly and more of a pacifist with longer hair. Rather than when he had it all cut off?

Well, John Lennon was a fantastic musician. By far my favorite Beatle. Unfortunately he also was a wife-beater, cheater, horrible father to his son and a hypocrite. Rather despicable character traits for a long-haired genius.

By the way, this is how the person we know as Jesus Christ most likely looked like according to historians.

Easier to fight with short hair that's why soldiers have it short although it didn't work for Sampson after Delilah gave him a haircut :roll:
Fighting is a physical activity so short hair gives the soldier an advantage. Reasoning is an intellectual process. Hair length doesn't impede or benefit reasoning, hence hair length irrelevant to the thinker. Intellectuals don't tend to concern themselves too much with the physical world unless it's causing them a problem. As Einstein told his future wife, "I don't mind if I marry you or your daughter. Either will be acceptable". :lol:

Yes I agree - John Lennon was the most talented Beatle if you discount the honorary Beatle George Martin, without whom IMHO, the Beatles would probably have been just another beat group ...
Re: the Jesus picture - that guy looks quite heavy set. Doesn't it state somewhere in the New Testament or epistles that Jesus was a short, slightly built man who had some form of physical deformity assumed to be scoliosis or something similar and that he was a bit of a hot head in his youth?
Last edited by Flamenca on 13 Sep 2013, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Sep 2013, 21:32

Flamenca wrote:echanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/QA/face-of-jesus-01-0312-mdn.jpg[/img]

Easier to fight with short hair that's why soldiers have it short although it didn't work for Sampson after Delilah gave him a haircut :roll:
Fighting is a physical activity so short hair gives the soldier an advantage. Reasoning is an intellectual process. Hair length doesn't impede or benefit reasoning, hence hair length irrelevant to the thinker. Intellectuals don't tend to concern themselves too much with the physical world unless it's causing them a problem. As Einstein told his future wife, "I don't mind if I marry you or your daughter. Either will be acceptable". :lol:

Re: the Jesus picture - that guy looks quite heavy set. Doesn't it state somewhere in the New Testament or epistles that Jesus was a short, slightly built man who had some form of physical deformity assumed to be scoliosis or something similar and that he was a bit of a hot head in his youth?[/quote]

So then, the fat Jesus would balance out the two skinny ones? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't recall the New Testament giving a definitive description of Jesus. Not in the officially recognized texts. There are other texts that speak to much of Jesus's "lost years" and other aspects of his life.

IMHO I would think the Son of God would be a gorgeous hunk, but that's just supposition. Like the way Christ was depicted in Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth.

John Lennon is one of my favorite people/musicians, but he was definitely a flawed individual, but we humans are that way.

@Tokeiihto- when I opened the link to the photos, there was an avatar with a photo of Rory with drawn-in bunny ears. An interesting interpretation, and at first I did not realize it was an avatar :lol: :lol:

@JayJay- it's interesting and kinda fun, this exchange of thoughts and ideas, but IMO aside from looking absolutely gorgeous on Rory, long hair as relates to integrity, intellect, or morality is even less valid as a measure of character than astrological signs or numerology... and sorry but I don't put much stock in that either ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Sep 2013, 21:41

Tokeiihto wrote:By the way, this is how the person we know as Jesus Christ most likely looked like according to historians.

Btw, Tokeiihito,

You probably got that artists impression of JC here right? http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcfa.htm

Yet that's only one view historically. I prefer to believe all the other scholars and historians views about this. Like the one here and in the link above..

"Jesus was referred to often in the Bible as "Rabbi." If he was an actual rabbi, he would definitely have followed Jewish law which forbade men from clipping the sides of their hair and their beards "

Plus all the main religious leaders especially in the beginning of them. With Judiasm, Muslim & Hinduism. Also believing in Long hair and beards always ;)

Ps. Let's " face it " ... If God had created man to grow beards. Would he have wanted us to shave everyday?? Pass me the Gillette Peter :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby loulamb » 12 Sep 2013, 22:17

Roberta, I have the Third Man DVD by the player ready to be watched again!

I think I agree , the long hair on guys signifies a rebellious or socially deviant attitude, not sure if Che Guevara was mentioned but he is also an example. Also I prefer the type of individual whether romantically or otherwise who doesnt give a damn about "fashion" or "high fashion" and generally long haired men seem to be anti-fashion or alternative.

Btw did anyone notice Rory's fans in the background? The man in this picture behind Rory made me laugh :lol:

loulamb

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome