Rory's 'eerie' shout out on AMMA 1995

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory's 'eerie' shout out on AMMA 1995

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 May 2013, 17:57

Beautiful man, absolutely a beautiful, beautiful man. I know you will never ever leave us. You are here now and forever. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby capo » 06 Jan 2015, 16:47

It is twenty years ago today that Rory performed this transcendent and haunting version of this classic. The outro solo is sublime and moving as no other. Ah, Rory.
capo

Postby Annie Elliott » 06 Jan 2015, 23:53

I read somewhere about poets who want to linger in this world to continue to share their art with the living.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 07 Jan 2015, 13:49

Annie Elliott wrote:I read somewhere about poets who want to linger in this world to continue to share their art with the living. I think of Rory that way, never leaving us Ladies and Gentlemen.

I had three dreams about him: in the first I was working for him running his restaurant in a lovely Victorian in San Francisco. The second dream I was still working for him, this time in a bigger and much fancier place. The third dream was similar but now in a place of incredible beauty, not a restaurant any longer but a resort like nothing I've ever seen, as if it were built of rainbows.

So that's how I think of this community, building something beautiful together out of Rory's life and music.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Completely agree and what a beautiful description. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby capo » 17 Aug 2020, 22:22

I started this thread seven or so years ago because I was sure I heard Rory say something nobody else seemed to have picked up on right before he began his wonderful outro solo, "I'll never leave you ladies and gentlemen". What made this so heartbreaking or "eerie" as I put it then, is it came during one of his last ever shows and last ever version of MMA. So it was as of he was saying to all, that he was going to fight with his all whatever the future had in store for him. Quite poignant considering what lay before him. But, I think now, I was completely wrong. I was reading some of the comments on Youtube under this upload that Tokeiihto had posted and a listener commented that what Rory actually said was "David Levy Ladies and Gentlemen", right after Levy had played an extended bass solo! I listened again and again, with the context of the just completed bass solo, and I think he's right! It makes great sense for Rory to have said that then and there, instead of the "I'll never leave you .........." even if the latter has more pathos with Rory's impending illness and death. I invite everybody to re listen and see if that is truly what Rory said and meant. Sorry that this ruins such a bittersweet memory of what we thought Rory said. Please weigh in, although this is in the "Archive" part of the Forum and nobody may see this at all!
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Aug 2020, 17:03

capo wrote:I started this thread seven or so years ago because I was sure I heard Rory say something nobody else seemed to have picked up on right before he began his wonderful outro solo, "I'll never leave you ladies and gentlemen". What made this so heartbreaking or "eerie" as I put it then, is it came during one of his last ever shows and last ever version of MMA. So it was as of he was saying to all, that he was going to fight with his all whatever the future had in store for him. Quite poignant considering what lay before him. But, I think now, I was completely wrong. I was reading some of the comments on Youtube under this upload that Tokeiihto had posted and a listener commented that what Rory actually said was "David Levy Ladies and Gentlemen", right after Levy had played an extended bass solo! I listened again and again, with the context of the just completed bass solo, and I think he's right! It makes great sense for Rory to have said that then and there, instead of the "I'll never leave you .........." even if the latter has more pathos with Rory's impending illness and death. I invite everybody to re listen and see if that is truly what Rory said and meant. Sorry that this ruins such a bittersweet memory of what we thought Rory said. Please weigh in, although this is in the "Archive" part of the Forum and nobody may see this at all!

Yes Capo it took me 3 or 4 times playing it to work out what Rory says and I can concur with Tokeiihto..
After Davy Levy's bit of a bass solo Rory comes back in singing " I'm A Million Miles .. David Levy Ladies & Gentlemen "

Whereas in the performance in 1986 Self Aid Dublin Live performance ..Rory does sing straight away Shadow Play.. " in the flinty light it's midnight and things ain't right " ..
Of which I can understand him changing the lyrics, as he was having trouble tuning up his famous '61 Stratocaster properly for the 3 previous songs.
Jay Jay

Postby capo » 19 Aug 2020, 18:31

Thanks Jay Jay for listening and concuring with me. After all these years we know now what he really says.
capo

Postby JimLED » 24 Aug 2020, 13:44

Great hearbreaking version. Amma was a last song of the gig. I think, someone in the crowd who were close to scene, made a shout like 'Don't leave us" hoping to have big encore, but Rory made reply to it "I never leave you ladies and gentelmen!".

But after Jay Jay's post me tried to listen that moment again. Sure, he shouts 'Davy Levy's ladies and gentlemen" after great Dave's solo on bass.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome