Rory's 'eerie' shout out on AMMA 1995

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's 'eerie' shout out on AMMA 1995

Postby capo » 08 May 2013, 18:55

I dont know if anybody has posted on this before or even noticed this before. My favorite version of Million Miles Away was one of Rory's last, occuring in Enschede, Holland on January 6, 1995. Its draw on me is not because of knowing its one of the last ever recorded but because of its soaring, lyrical outro solo. It is so beautiful and heartbreaking. The strange or 'eerie' part I've noticed is right as Rory begins singing the final chours before the concluding solo, he suddenly shouts out, " I'll Never Leave You Ladies and Gentlemen"! I''m sure I'm hearing this right. In light of it being one of his final shows, what made him say this? I don't want to read too much into this but it is almost like hes willing himself to keep fighting no matter what lies ahead.I should say this is not on a "official" recording but im sure most have heard it. Any comments?
capo

Re: Rory's 'eerie' shout out on MMA 1995

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 May 2013, 19:20

capo wrote:I dont know if anybody has posted on this before or even noticed this before. My favorite version of Million Miles Away was one of Rory's last, occuring in Enschede, Holland on January 6, 1995. Its draw on me is not because of knowing its one of the last ever recorded but because of its soaring, lyrical outro solo. It is so beautiful and heartbreaking. The strange or 'eerie' part I've noticed is right as Rory begins singing the final chours before the concluding solo, he suddenly shouts out, " I'll Never Leave You Ladies and Gentlemen"! I''m sure I'm hearing this right. In light of it being one of his final shows, what made him say this? I don't want to read too much into this but it is almost like hes willing himself to keep fighting no matter what lies ahead.I should say this is not on a "official" recording but im sure most have heard it. Any comments?

I had never heard that particular version. If anyone could post it or direct me to where I would hear it, I would certainly want to mull it over. There are some who have said that Rory had given up toward the end- that he "never wanted to live to see fifty." I do not believe that. I believe he knew he was gravely ill toward the end, but that he was fighting to get well as best he knew how. He just didn't know where to turn. He loved playing his music for people, and he did not want to let go of that. Seems to me toward the end he was resigned to the path he was being drawn toward, but he was trying as best he knew how to fight against it.

Those later recordings are hard to listen to, because just as in his earlier work, where he was so ecstatically and enthusiastically (and contagiously) happy, in those later performances he was very obviously exhausted, and in pain. Just as you could vicariously feel his joy and ecstasy in playing in the early years, you can feel the pain and anguish in the last ones.

Anyway, if anyone can direct me to the link to hear it, I would appreciate it.

P.S. in many ways he never did leave us. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Stevo » 09 May 2013, 21:45

I've not noticed that before until you mentioned it, but listening back he clearly says it during the final chorus.
I've got it down as Holland 8-1-95.
Stevo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 May 2013, 22:00

Stevo wrote:I've not noticed that before until you mentioned it, but listening back he clearly says it during the final chorus.
I've got it down as Holland 8-1-95.

Was his last performance on January 6 or January 10? I haven't been able to locate that one, there was a site selling the last one, where he collapsed on stage? Is that the one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... zvVp4Wvrvc

These, from January 6, 1995 are the closest I could find. And listening to it, he sounds very distressed.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 09 May 2013, 22:41

Yes, this is the show. I dont have the expertise to know how to upload on Youtube from my own copy, but i have asked Rory Gallagher Rarties
channel if they could upload MMA from this show. I hope their able to our anyone else who could help out. Peace.
capo

Postby Tokeiihto » 10 May 2013, 23:09

Here, I took the liberty of uploading the song on youtube for you.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby capo » 11 May 2013, 00:42

Thanks so much Tokeiihto for posting this. Now others can hear not only Rory's comment but his beautiful solo. Peace.
capo

Postby asdesas » 11 May 2013, 04:37

Wow, I'm gonna spend Friday evening weeping. In a good way I guess. Thanks Tokeiito! The performance is so impassioned. And you know, he never really did leave us.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 May 2013, 06:08

Yes thank you for posting this. He sounds so strong and determined there, it's heartbreaking to know what lay ahead for him. Such a sweet, beautiful, gentle man. I hope that he knows he wasn't forgotten, I hope he knows how much we still love him. :cry:
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory's 'eerie' shout out on AMMA 1995

Postby Tokeiihto » 11 May 2013, 13:31

No problem. :)

To be honest, I rather seldom listen to Rory's post '80s live output - since, as Roberta correctly observed, the spark and energy that made his earlier work such a joy to listen to is unfortunately too often absent (for obvious reasons), replaced with a feeling of sadness and exasperation - but this is such a fantastic rendition of A Million Miles Away. While it's more somber and restrained than, let's say, its Irish Tour counterpart, there's also so much passion and maturity in this performance. And I agree with Capo, the outro solo really soars. What a beautifully evocative, lyrical and sublimely powerful piece of music.

And while his shout-out towards the end of the song might seem bitterly ironic in hindsight, I rather interpret it as a moment of joy and happiness. Donal has repeatedly spoken about how insecure Rory felt during that time, how he was driven by self-doubt because he didn't believe that people wanted to see him anymore. But when he did return to the stage he was, of course, warmly welcomed by the audience and greeted with cheers. To me that moment during A Million Miles Away symbolizes the love shared between Rory and his fans. When he, however briefly, was again completely in his element.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome