Rory's Strat Played by Others

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory's Strat Played by Others

Postby folkdeejay » 09 May 2013, 08:44

asdesas wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote: In silence they are just relics, in play they are still alive, they have the same voice as when Rory played them, but each time a little more of Rory's handiwork fades from them.

So I have mixed feelings. But that's just me.

Beautifully said, Roberta. I feel the same way. It seems a shame to leave a wonderful guitar--which was made to be played and heard rather than just looked at--in a locked glass case. But at the same time, might its magic somehow get "watered down" if it gets overused by this or that guitarist? (And what do we do when one of them drops it...)

Regards,
Richard

If it is played occasionally by the palyers who cite Rory as a big influence ( Like Johnny Marr, Joe B, bernie Marsden etc etc ) then I think it is fine.

I got a tweet from Johhny Marr confirming playing the Rory strat was a big deal for him and it was even better to play than he had dreamed.

If it is borrowed by everyone and his neighbour, I would disagree... but how many Smiths/Marr/Cribbs fans will see that clip then wonder why JM played a tatty old strat, hit google and discover Rory? If its more than 1, its a result.
folkdeejay

Postby asdesas » 09 May 2013, 15:18

folkdeejay wrote:but how many Smiths/Marr/Cribbs fans will see that clip then wonder why JM played a tatty old strat, hit google and discover Rory? If its more than 1, its a result.

For sure. I'd hate to see it's potential as a guitar go to waste--the key is to put it in the hands of the right players

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 May 2013, 19:53

I see your point. Truly. I mean, the prevailing thought through most of these threads is preserving Rory's wonderful legacy and getting him rediscovered by the young and upcoming. And I do trust that the Gallagher family will make sure that Rory's most treasured guitars are treated respectfully. And my reservations about it are purely emotional- I hate to see even his fingerprints being obscured from them, and I know that's ridiculous and illogical. But that's what emotions are. I trust his family will do what they feel is best. As fans I think ultimately it's best for us to basically close circle around Donal and Daniel and Rory's true friends.
RobertaSparrow

Postby asdesas » 09 May 2013, 22:52

RobertaSparrow wrote:I hate to see even his fingerprints being obscured from them, and I know that's ridiculous and illogical. But that's what emotions are.

It really says something about Rory that he stirs such deep feelings in his fans. And as much as I'd love to see the guitar get to live a little as a guitar rather than as a sacred relic of some kind, I have to also kind of agree with you on this one Roberta---it IS a sacred relic, isn't it? After all those sweaty gigs it's literally imprinted with his DNA. It would be a shame to lose any of that.

Oh, Daniel, if you're listening, if you should happen to wipe it down someday, just to get any potentially harmful grime off it... I'd be in the market for scraps of the rag!

Regards,
Richard.
asdesas

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 May 2013, 00:21

Richard- If Daniel does that, I'll trade you my almost brand new BluRay DVD of IT74 for 1/4 of that cloth! Sure it's been watched a few hundred times but it still plays like new. (I can always get another disc) And I'' pay for postage, Too! :D :D :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby asdesas » 10 May 2013, 03:18

I'll split it with you, no charge

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Postby Olav » 10 May 2013, 10:54

I totally agree with Roberta. In this case - Rory's guitar is not a musical instrument. It is part of his soul. So when somebody plays it now - they take away his spirit from his strat.
Olav

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 May 2013, 18:02

Rory's energy is in his Strat. I was a bit alarmed with the fact other people's energy might get infused with guitar. I believe we leave energy imprints in our personal objects. I do find it difficult others playing THE STRAT but I agree for Rory's legacy it is important and the guitar should be played. However I feel as it is very old it should be played now and again by people who are worthy to play it and who support the continuity of Rory's legacy. Brian May is definitely worthy, absolutely. Thats all I will say about it for now. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Niall » 26 May 2013, 23:53

Hi, first post so forgive me for not introducing myself in the 'proper' forum.

My take on this guitar being played is as others have said, it's great to see it played. Sadly, I really wish it wasn't Bonamassa that was playing it. I don't mean this in a negative or insulting way, as I'll explain in a second.

A few years ago I was invited to see Black country communion which as you will know (possibly) is the other band Bonamassa is in. Now that music wasn't for me, but Ballad of John Henry was awesome, so I decided to give him a chance. I've bought a few of his albums and a few weeks ago I went the the London Apollo to see him. Wow, that was the worst gig I've ever been to in my life, and I walked out halfway through, but that's another story. Bonamassa has amassed a huge amount of guitars and seems hell bent on using as many as possibly in one gig, and I really feel he's totally lost his way sound wise. At this gig he didn't use Rory's guitar, but Bonamassa sounds pretty much identical on any guitar he plays. There is absolutely no soul in anything Bonamassa plays recently, and it sounds very technical and by the numbers.

Anyway, when I saw him, in my opinion destroying 'Cradle rock' I was ready to leave the gig and this was 2 songs into his (electric) set. When I got home from London a few days later I saw that he'd played at the Albert Hall using Rory's guitar and there are a few videos knocking about of that. Again, no soul at all. I was back in London again a few days ago to see Clapton and that was fantastic as usual :)

I'm not sure if it makes me sad or angry that Bonamassa covers one of my favourite songs, but he sounds more like Gary Moore which is a style that shouldn't be covering Rory's stuff, in my opinion.

Hmm, that looks a bit ranty, but it's not meant to!
Niall

Postby Olav » 27 May 2013, 20:26

Yes!!!! You are totally right! Bonamassa has no soul in his music at all. It was a big mistake to give him Rory's strat.
Olav

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome