Rory's Strat Played by Others

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's Strat Played by Others

Postby capo » 03 Apr 2013, 21:01

There has been endless debate among the faithful on this subject. Should THE STRAT have been buried with its owner, should it be placed behind glass in a museum. Maybe a s others have suggested, a tribute album where as famous Rory fans re record his classics using his equipment. There is no right answer I guess. But one overwhelming feeling always comes over me when I see someone playing His Strat. Sadness.
capo

Re: Rory's Strat played by Others

Postby Jay Jay » 03 Apr 2013, 21:34

You must have read my mind or seen my FB post about Joe Bonamassa playing Rory's strat here ..

"Daniel Gallagher told me that Joe Bonamassa played Rory's Strat again Live @ The Royal Albert Hall in London last weekend. He said also, that of all the guitars Joe played. RORY'S sounded the sweetest by a Country Mile" ;)

Joe with Rory strat @ Albert Hall.jpg

capo wrote:But one overwhelming feeling always comes over me when I see someone playing His Strat. Sadness.

Capo, does not my last sentence above make you feel happier. How Rory's strat sounded the sweetest of all. Showing Rory's spirit and inspiration is still coming through his guitar from Joe ;)
The legend of Rory and his strat lives on :)

Btw, was not the battered strat played last time @ The Royal Albert Hall when Rory played it with Taste @ The Cream farewell concert in 1968??

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: RORY'S STRAT PLAYED BY OTHERS

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Apr 2013, 21:36

You're right, there are so many emotions tied to that beautiful old guitar- It was Rory's constant companion during his entire professional life- every worn mark and bare spot is from his own hands. In a way I have thought it should have been laid to rest with him, in his arms. But on the other hand, having that guitar was probably a comfort to Rory's family, especially his brother Donal, who spent as much of his life helping Rory obtain the Strat and play his music for the rest of the world in the first place. And Rory always felt guitars are meant to be played, not stored or kept as icons.

Hearing anyone else play it though, it is just too much for me to watch. Especially if the guitarist plays one of Rory's signature pieces. I couldn't watch Joe Bonamassa play Cradle Rock on Rory's guitar. Midnight Blues was a little different- Joe played that on Rory's Strat, and it was Gary Moore's song, so for me that seemed more like a fitting memorial to Rory and his friend Gary. Gary was there for Rory when he was ill and alone. But still, the Strat sounds so mournful. I wonder what would Rory want to be done with it? What would be his wish?

RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 04 Apr 2013, 05:06

You are right Jay Jay. Its just a difficult subject to come to grips with, feeling wise. By the way, I think Rory headlined Royal Albert Hall himself at around Christmas time 1976. It was when they had Lonnie Donegan introduce him. Cheers.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Apr 2013, 10:45

capo wrote:You are right Jay Jay. Its just a difficult subject to come to grips with, feeling wise. By the way, I think Rory headlined Royal Albert Hall himself at around Christmas time 1976. It was when they had Lonnie Donegan introduce him. Cheers.

Yes! you are right as well Capo, about that gig Rory played the last time with the strat at The Royal Albert Hall in 1976, with Lonnie.
37 years later the strat returned here with Joe. To show Rory's iconic symbol and spirit will go on forever in his memRory :)

Joe with Rory strat @ Albert Hall.jpg

Rock On for Rory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Apr 2013, 02:03

This was from one of Rory's last appearances in the U.S- I don't know who filmed it, and so it isn't the best quality, but I'm glad they did. Even though the film and sound quality aren't the best, it shows the Strat in its master's hands. No matter how talented the musician, the guitar will never sound the same as it did when Rory played it. It may sound great, but then the same bittersweet thought comes to me, "How would Rory have played that same tune?"

Rory introduces the song, . . . "This one's about a man . . . this one's called Heaven's Gate, he's on his way there . . ."
(note- embedding was disabled for some reason, but if you click on it, it will play in another window)
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory's Strat Played by Others

Postby Jay Jay » 13 Apr 2013, 11:28

If anyone's still in any doubt about Rory's strat being played by other guitarists, around the world. Well when Joe Bonamassa played 'the strat' at The Royal Albert Hall the Easter Weekend in London. He did Rory's strat and Rory's legacy justice. As Daniel Gallagher told me..
"THE STRAT sounded THE SWEETEST of all Joe's guitars" ;)
Here is the FRESH EVIDENCE
http://jbonamassa.com/rory-gallagher-guitar/ :)
Jay Jay

Postby Sinner Girl » 13 Apr 2013, 22:19

I have a divided feeling , because the guitar sounds like Joe!! The Guitar weep for his master.

''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 May 2013, 19:03

[quote="Sinner Girl"]I have a divided feeling , because the guitar sounds like Joe!! The Guitar weep for his master.

Jay Jay » You must have read my mind or seen my FB post about Joe Bonamassa playing Rory's strat here ..

"Daniel Gallagher told me that Joe Bonamassa played Rory's Strat again Live @ The Royal Albert Hall in London last weekend. He said also, that of all the guitars Joe played. RORY'S sounded the sweetest by a Country Mile" ;)

With all due respect, I understand about mixed feelings where concerns The Strat- Rory put a lot of himself into that guitar, and it does indeed still sound beautiful- but when I hear it, I get the same chill, it is as if the guitar weeps for Rory- misses him. Yeah I know it sounds crazy. But more than that-

This website has an excellent display of Rory's guitars. I've paged through them a number of times, and in most of the photos you can see where his hands wore down specific areas on the fretboards, where he really put them through their paces. On the electrics you can see which controls he worked through to bare metal, plastics worn smooth in places. You can tell by how they have been worn down by his bare hands through passion and devotion- and in so doing, they bear his unique signature- one born through countless hours of the magic that Rory made with them. And you can tell by looking at each one which were his favorites.

His signature instruments- The Strat, his old Martin, his National Steel- those guitars were his not because he bought them, he was their legal owner- he owned them through years of playing, performing, creating. That old National Steel of his, it was pretty old when he got it- who knows how adept, how talented its former owner(s) were? Because after it joined Rory's stable it became his- through years of work and blood and sweat. Whoever it belonged to originally, through devotion, and love, and time it became his, bore his marks.

That's the thing- the more others play those most uniquely Rory guitars, the less the link is to their true master. And I know, they weren't buried with him. Rory himself always felt a guitar was meant to be played. It's just, I can't help but feel the more they are played by different guitarists, the less they will have of what made them Rory's guitars to begin with.

I know it defies logic, and I fully understand why his family allows them to be played. In silence they are just relics, in play they are still alive, they have the same voice as when Rory played them, but each time a little more of Rory's handiwork fades from them.

So I have mixed feelings. But that's just me.
RobertaSparrow

Postby asdesas » 08 May 2013, 20:32

RobertaSparrow wrote: In silence they are just relics, in play they are still alive, they have the same voice as when Rory played them, but each time a little more of Rory's handiwork fades from them.

So I have mixed feelings. But that's just me.

Beautifully said, Roberta. I feel the same way. It seems a shame to leave a wonderful guitar--which was made to be played and heard rather than just looked at--in a locked glass case. But at the same time, might its magic somehow get "watered down" if it gets overused by this or that guitarist? (And what do we do when one of them drops it...)

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome