If you Like Led Zeppelin.. Then you'll LOVE Rory Gallagher!

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

If you Like Led Zeppelin.. Then you'll LOVE Rory Gallagher!

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Mar 2013, 19:14

Interest article here ..
Thanks to our Rory friend Milo and his shadowplays blog..

http://shadowplays.com/blog/?p=2754

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: If you Like Led Zeppelin.. Then you'll LOVE Rory Gallagh

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Mar 2013, 16:12

Is there not any Led Zeppelin fans /admirer's as members here then?
Or most think maybe there is no comparison, with them and Rory?

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Olav » 21 Mar 2013, 17:00

I like Led Zeppelin but can't compare them with Rory. Because for me Rory is much better than anyone.
Olav

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Mar 2013, 22:29

Jay Jay wrote:Is there not any Led Zeppelin fans /admirer's as members here then?
Or most think maybe there is no comparison, with them and Rory?

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

:o Well, er, it's kinda like the old saying, "if you can't say anything nice . . . "

I like Zeppelin, not as much as I used to, and it's one of those situations where, the more you know, the less you like . . . I loved their music when they were at their peak, and they were the typical rock star types- great to watch perform live, fairly good looking (in his prime Robert Plant was almost as good looking as Rory), I spent money on their records and tickets, but then you start to notice things. The rumors about some of the ways their fans (especially the female ones) were treated, and one particularly unpleasant story concerning a fish, and the less than respectful way that some of their music seemed to bear an actionable similarity to other artists' hard work yet was never credited unless and until someone sued them and won.

I remember after I bought Physical Graffiti and also shelled out more money (at that time) to see their subsequent tour promoting the same, being very taken with that album, particularly the song, In My Time of Dying, and thinking, "now that's why Zepplin is so great," then staying at a friend's house and coming across a copy of Dylan's first album that I had not previously heard in its entirety, where he does In My Time of Dyin' but attributes it as a traditional blues, based on variations by different artists; J. C. Burnett, Blind Willie Johnson, and others. The album doesn't mention Page or Plant at all.

GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Now, Zepplin isn't the only band to do that, but they are one of the most infamous, and the most shockingly unrepentant about doing it. And I had heard similarly arranged blues that sounded like maybe Zepplin based theirs on someone else's, but here, on Dylan's 1962 album I can clearly hear Page and Plant's supposed composition. And Dylan doesn't try to claim it as his work. Funny thing is, if Dylan had released his version that same year as Physical Graffiti, I think people would believe Dylan was copying Zep.

I know Rory and Jimmy knew each other, and they seemed to be friends, and Rory never said anything unflattering about Zep, and yes I do think it was very sweet, and uncharacteristically respectful, for Jimmy Page to speak of Rory so kindly in his earlier interview, and I still like Zep's music, but they never gave credit where it was due.

Rory in contrast, always gave credit to the artists that came before him, even when he added substantially to their work. He only claimed authorship for his own work, and even then, if he was aware of a specific influence, he always acknowledged it. He seldom criticized anyone else for not doing the same, and ethically that puts him miles above everyone else in his field. He even credited previous artists for his own work, I can't comprehend why unless he felt that it was so inspired by artists that came before him that he felt they deserved it. I Could Have Had Religion was one of his best. I wonder what he would have done if Page and Plant had decided to put that one on one of their albums and claim credits for it?

As for Rory's attitude toward the people around him, he seemed to genuinely enjoy interacting with his fans. He was kind and considerate of the people who paid to see him, and he treated people with respect. So, yes there is a comparison to be made, and I have to say I find Zepplin to be lacking.

Sorry Jay Jay, but you asked ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby loulamb » 21 Mar 2013, 23:10

Yes I do like Led Zeppelin and am a fan, the article is true for myself anyway, even though I knew about Rory from family I was into Led Zeppelin and then got into Rory and preferred Rory.

I just think Led Zeppelin monopolized the scene a bit and thats a bit unfair when there were so many other talented musicians around who didn't get the recognition and even to this day are forgotten. I even heard Steve Marriott's version of Whole Lotta Love made before Led Zeppelin's version and even though Marriot's was a version of You Need Love, Plant completely ripped off Marriott's vocal. I then looked at the Rolling stone top 100 voices and was appalled that Steve Marriott wasn't on there!

It was so great how Rory noted who was the original but sometimes I actually feel Rory gave a bit too much credit, because when you listen to the original or Lil Son Jackson's the guitar is completely different for Rory's version of Gamblin Blues. There are so many traditional blues artists who recorded the same song even Gamblin blues there are many different versions by different blues singers.
loulamb

Postby Flamenca » 22 Mar 2013, 02:15

Never cared much for Led Zep and never found old Rubber Plant (yes that was his nickname back then) attractive either :mrgreen: Far too up himself IMHO :shock: And here's one for those who don't know what one looks like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rubber Plant.jpg

Rory was an infinitely more talented musician - he could sing better, impossible scream whilst leaping around like a lunatic better, play guitar and numerous other instruments better, write better ... and was far better looking than any of 'em :lol: and all of 'em put together :lol:

Steve Marriott - loved him in the Small Faces when I was a little kid - Itchy Coo Park etc. and was a fan of Humble Pie too, more so because my dad hated him :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't remember which song it was they were performing on Top of The Pops, but I remember my dad saying that Steve Marriot obviously had the same singing teacher as Helen Keller :lol: A classic dad quote there :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Mar 2013, 04:16

Flamenca wrote:Never cared much for Led Zep and never found old Rubber Plant (yes that was his nickname back then) attractive either :mrgreen: Far too up himself IMHO :shock: And here's one for those who don't know what one looks like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rubber Plant.jpg

:

:lol: :lol: I think I know what you mean- I and a bunch of my female friends went out on Halloween 1976 to Hollywood to watch their movie, "The Song Remains The Same." It was all for fun, we waited outside in a long line-Halloween night in Hollywood can sometimes be on the warm side, so it was a party atmosphere just waiting to get in, along with lots of others, and although it was great fun, it was really hard to take Robert Plant seriously- I remember someone during the movie commenting about "looking up Robert Plant's stairway to heaven," (see clip at 9:18) He wasn't bad looking, IMHO, but I prefer to have something left to the imagination. (Jack White has the same problem)

Rory was way more talented, more engaging, and way more sexy in his stage presence. Yet Zep is better remembered!
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 22 Mar 2013, 09:26

Who can forget the summer of 1976! In Europe, we had a heat wave that went on for about three months. They had to ration tap water! It was only switched on for certain hours a day and the shops frequently ran out of soft drinks. You didn't want to drink the water when it came back on because of the sand and little tiny shrimps in it from them reaching the bottom of the reservoirs! Thankfully there was plenty of water in Scotland so Barr made a fortune supplying Irn Bru south of the border into England, and the pubs had a roaring trade in IPA!

There was quite a few of them back then who left little to the imagination, Robert Plant probably being the worst offender mind you! Rory was self-respecting in that regard. He never sold out personally or professionally. Respect!
Flamenca

Postby Sinner Girl » 22 Mar 2013, 13:33

I don't like blonde boys lol, I'm more Deep Purple fan MK2, then Zepp. ;) ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Mar 2013, 20:57

loulamb wrote:I just think Led Zeppelin monopolized the scene a bit and thats a bit unfair when there were so many other talented musicians around who didn't get the recognition and even to this day are forgotten. I even heard Steve Marriott's version of Whole Lotta Love made before Led Zeppelin's version and even though Marriot's was a version of You Need Love, Plant completely ripped off Marriott's vocal. I then looked at the Rolling stone top 100 voices and was appalled that Steve Marriott wasn't on there!

It was so great how Rory noted who was the original but sometimes I actually feel Rory gave a bit too much credit, because when you listen to the original or Lil Son Jackson's the guitar is completely different for Rory's version of Gamblin Blues. There are so many traditional blues artists who recorded the same song even Gamblin blues there are many different versions by different blues singers.

:lol: :twisted: And muddy Waters never gave Zep credit :roll:
Actually we could do a whole list of music by other artists that were hijacked and reclaimed by Zepplin, but . . .

I like Rory's take on it- You can hear Rory and his guitar- took both Page and Plant to cover the same ground that Rory already cleared, and I'd love to have seen him do this one!
And, I suppose technically this was performed around the same time as Zep released its recording, but this was in Taste's repertoire when Page and Plant heard them play it. Funny thing, though- Rory attributed it to Muddy.
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome