New kid on the block!

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

New kid on the block!

Postby smudge » 24 Jan 2013, 03:55

Hello folks! Just joined the forum, so I guess I'm the newest member, for a few minutes at least...

Have been a Rory fan for just over 30 years, ever since a workmate persuaded me to buy the Irish Tour '74 LP in a secondhand shop; one of the best music tips I've ever received!

Sadly only saw Rory perform live twice: at London's Marquee Club on the Jinx tour and at a strange gig at the Dominion which featured 4 solo guitarists (ageing memory tells me that David Lindley & Spanish guitarist Juan Martin were among the others; was the other one someone like Richard Thompson?).

One of my greatest regrets occurred around the time of those gigs, when I passed Rory in the street on Cambridge Circus in Soho, but was too shy to stop him and ask to shake his hand. I guess we always think there may be another time, but sadly that wasn't to be.

He may have posthumously saved my neck, though! Many years later I walked into a bar which was far rougher inside than its exterior had suggested; I was in a collar & tie and carrying a briefcase, so let's just say it went kinda quiet! Fortunately Tattoo'd Lady was playing in the background and I commented that it made a nice change to hear Rory's music playing in a pub; as soon as he realised that I was a Rory fan, the barman gave me a free shot of Jamieson's to go with the Guinness I'd ordered and everyone relaxed! :lol:

I can highly recommend Bernie Marsden's (ex-Whitesnake) Rory tribute gigs & CDs; they are so clearly played from the heart. Can anyone recommend any good Rory tribute acts who play in or around London? Thanks.

Nice to be here!
smudge

Re: New kid on the block!

Postby JimLED » 24 Jan 2013, 21:53

Welcome to the Board, Smudge!

Thank you very much for sharing your stories with us!
The story when you're passed Rory in the street is so real... just imagined it in my head... Rory was in blue short jacket and has an absent look in one direction?

JIm
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: New kid on the block!

Postby roryfan » 25 Jan 2013, 02:40

welcome aboard
roryfan

Return to Introduction & Welcome for New Members