Rory's Satisfaction with Jerry Lee ~ Rather Than The Stones

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's Satisfaction with Jerry Lee ~ Rather Than The Stones

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Dec 2012, 17:25

Jerry Lee Lewis "The (Complete) Session" -- bonus track "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" with Rory Gallagher on guitar:

"All went well at first. Jerry Lee was kept off the bottle. But then the producer said 'Jerry, you’re doing all the Johnny B.Goode type old rock and Roll stuff. Let's try something different.' So the guy said ‘Satisfaction’ by The Rolling Stones, and Jerry had never heard of that track. Some of the musicians laughed when they heard this, which greatly upset Lewis. Rory, didn’t laugh, however, and this earned him the singers trust." ~ Donal Gallagher

"He [Jerry Lee] had trouble with it, he couldn't get the timing of the song, which I couldn't understand because he was a perfectly good musician. Then he started sending the song up and he was fairly rude about the lyrics. He couldn't understand how anyone could write lyrics like that. But it was great. The best cut of the day. But they didn't put it on the album. I never knew why." ~ Rory Gallagher
Jay Jay

Re: Rory's Satisfaction with Jerry Lee ~ Rather Than The Sto

Postby signals » 11 Dec 2012, 18:18

I'm sure I read or heard somewhere Rory saying he put down the guide vocal for the track as Jerry didn't know it....
signals

Re: Rory's Satisfaction with Jerry Lee ~ Rather Than The Sto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Dec 2012, 18:57

I read somewhere that the iconic photo of Rory wearing headphones and holding his guitar, standing to the left of a sitting Jerry Lee Lewis where Jerry Lee is looking up at him was taken during those sessions. I read that photo was shot while Rory was teaching him how the song Satisfaction went. I venture a guess that Jerry Lee probably was being stubborn about learning a song that was written by someone else because he has an ego that is legend. But Rory hardly ever criticized anyone in the press. It just wasn't in him to do that. IMO.
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome