Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby Jukka » 07 Aug 2013, 01:58

hi Tokeiihto,

My name is not Yukka....it's Jukka!
Take care Tokeiihto

cheers,
Jukka
Jukka

Postby innuendo » 08 Aug 2013, 17:31

anyone knows what is shinkicker about?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Aug 2013, 17:47

innuendo wrote:anyone knows what is shinkicker about?

Hi Kruno, long time no speak..

Yeah, I believe or IMHO to keep Jukka happy and off my back, lol :lol:

Shin Kicker is a bikers (motor bikers) song. Rory when releasing this tune, did get a lot of biker fans joining his fan club, thereafter..
Basically it's about a biker kick-starting his motorcycle / machine and driving around from town to town and other places too..Diners / cafes like in easy rider..
All day and everyday :)

# Well I gotta find a town that got more action, gotta find a place that stays open late right away! #
# C. C. Mama " Motorcycle Queen " I’m gonna catch up with you with my lightning wheels #

Rock on for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Aug 2013, 22:51

"Shin Kicker is a bikers (motor bikers) song."

Nowdays most bikes have electric starters like cars do. But in the 60's my dad had a 50's era Harley-Davidson- a "hog" he called it- he didn't have it too long- it was a real handful to ride. And I remember him kick-starting the thing- Rory's song was aptly named- I remember sometimes when he'd kick start it, the engine wouldn't catch, it would backfire and that thing would kick back, and it could really hurt- he'd come in swearing and cursing, with a bruised ankle.

Makes me wonder, did Rory ever drive a motorcycle?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jukka » 09 Aug 2013, 01:06

quote: Yeah, I believe or IMHO to keep Jukka happy and off my back, lol :lol:
Now you're talking, JJ...if you are not sure, use terms like IMO or IMHO.

Don't worry, I'm not spying here, I just visit here occasionally, just to see, what people are talking about on this site.
After all, there are old friends here, so that is one reason, why I visit this site every now and again.
Peace,
Jukka

PS. I see that you are online, Roberta. Just wanted to say hello, I have read your posts and you seem to be one the most active members here and I have liked your posts and your youtube clips. Take care, Roberta!
Jukka

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Aug 2013, 01:34

Hello Jukka,

Thanks, I like to check out all the new posts, always keen on hearing more about Rory. And so happy to see how he touched people all over the world. Wouldn't have ever realized that without this site and of course the world wide web- making the world a smaller place . . . Keep posting Jukka, the more the merrier . . .

:) RobertaSparrow
RobertaSparrow

Postby innuendo » 14 Aug 2013, 14:11

thanks for your answers jay jay and roberta.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Oct 2013, 21:32

From the day Rory was born travelling was in his blood. He was born in Ballyshannon and then at the age of two moved to Derry and then finally Cork at the age of 7 to be raised there.

At 15 he joined Fontana Showband (later the Impact) and travelled with them around Ireland, London UK, Spain and Hamburg, Germany. He then formed Taste and then travelled with them around the world and then with his own Rory Gallagher Band he travelled to every developed nation around the world from America, Europe, Asia and Australia and New Zealand.

Travelling was his whole life and even then he needed constant change. He never lived anywhere for long, moving from apartment to apartment and even studio to studio when recording his music. He even said in interview his Pisces sign was a water sign and water is always flowing. Incidentally Rory liked living or being near water.

I am sure life on the road was exciting. He went from city to city with his band and crew and played to audiences all over the world and brought a lot of happiness and joy. Then to prolong the happiness he would then go to a pub or restaurant with his band and crew and have a good night. Then next morning he would be up and gone to the next city. Brute Force And Ignorance and Overnight Bag catch this excitement.

Obviously Rory wrote songs where he could relate to other people travelling in a similar capacity like Philby, Tattoo Lady or Living Like A Trucker.

However where there are highs, there are lows. Travelling on the road can be tiring and me and Susie found that out on our own Rory Gallagher Travellers to Ballyshannon this year. We had a great time but the pace for us was tiring and I felt for Rory . We just did it for one week but Rory and his band did it for weeks, months and for years. I look at the Timeline for his tours in the 70s and it is gruelling. I am sure the crowds could be rough at venues. Endless roads and Rory and his band was either on a tour bus, train, ferry or plane from which he developed a fear of flying. On and on and on and staying in different city and different hotels but it was an essential way to spread his music and he loved doing live shows. He was only complete as a man when he was on stage and guitar in hand ready to play to his adoring audience.

I feel A Million Miles Away capture how he really felt at times on the road. He felt lonely at times and everyday he had to face the same old similar hotel rooms. He probably saw the ordinary lives other people lived and probably felt so far removed from how they lived. Most people have jobs, homes and family and friends in one place. Everything is familiar and everything feels grounded. For Rory it may have not been the case unless he was at home in Cork with his mum, family and friends.

Rory never had a chance to form proper relationships with people as he kept travelling, so the crew and band members were like family on the road for him.

I also feel being on the road did take its toll and probably he never got enough sleep, jet lag etc.

It is also known he love his “gipsy lifestyle” and perhaps being at home too long made him bored and edgy as well. Would family life have suited him? I am sure it would have as long as he could travel and play his music from time to time but that could be a double edged sword.

I know in some way how he felt. Yes I have a regular job but every opportunity I am travelling or doing something. Pisces can’t stay in one place or seat still. Since leaving University I have seen so many countries and my future work will keep me travelling and I definitely want that in my life. However London will always be home for me and I am sure as Rory would agree with me there is nothing like having your own bed, home cooked food and having your family and friends around! I also do other kinds of travel mainly the “astral variety”! :lol: Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Oct 2013, 22:26

I just wanted to add that as Rory travelled he would have seen and experienced many things like people, culture, customs etc and this would have influenced his songs. X
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Oct 2013, 07:03

Hi Suby,

Yes, I think Rory's songs revealed quite a bit more about his personal life and his feelings than he probably realized or intended. He started from such a young age, and when one looks back on it, all the places he traveled, the things he saw and did, his life was too short if we measure against a calendar, but for all he did and all the lives he touched, he packed a couple of lifetime's worth of experience into the time he had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6FKws-uEro
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome