Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Dec 2012, 19:54

RobertaSparrow wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:Finally Roberta I agree with you ( and Jay Jay can delete this) whoever broke Rory's heart was a fool and a stupid cow!Oops I hardly swear but i couldn't resist that. Miaow! x
. x

First, referring to someone as a less than intelligent bovine is not really swearing, and second, I doubt that whoever she was ever looks at this site or thinks twice about him, and finally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if she did see that. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Dec 2012, 20:02

loulamb wrote:Did anyone else think that on I Fall Apart, Rory was letting out all of his frustration with the break up of Taste but making the lyrics sound like a love song? Or do you think it really was a love song and the break up of Taste was shown in 'For the last time' ?

This is interesting Lou Lamb. For example when I heard "For The Last Time" from the lyrics it does seem that a woman may have let Rory down but it is in fact him saying that after Taste breakup he picked himself up and moved on. Lots of hidden meanings in his songs and I love interpretating them. I guess as an avid book reader I do the same with books. I just love this topic. Subrata. x

FOR THE LAST TIME LYRICS

You've done me wrong,
For the last time,
You've sung your song,
Now I'm going to sing mine,
Out loud, so loud,
Like the roaring sea.

You've played around,
For the last time,
You've shown your claws,
Now I'm going to show mine,
Watch out, I'll be about,
In the night.

You ran around,
Since the very first day,
You've had your moment,
Now I'm gonna have my play,
So long, I'll be gone,
In the night.

You put me down,
For the very last time,
I hit the floor,
But I got up on the count of nine,
Goodbye, don't cry,
When I'm gone.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Dec 2012, 20:10

RobertaSparrow wrote:I'd like to know if anyone can tell me the title of the book that inspired Rory to write Daughter of the Everglades. it would be interesting to read the story behind the song. Anyone know?

Daughter of the Everglades

Were you were raised by the river
Down in the low, low land
Where the air is dark and sinister
In the night there's no safe place to stand

In the reeds there are eyes that peek
Voices I can't understand
Flamingos flying endlessly
Into the silent sky

Daughter of the everglades
You never made it clear
Child of the river
If you wanted to be here
I never saw your tears

Well you looked like your mama
Before you walked, you swam
Learned to make that snake tail stew
From your daddy
Crazy talking fisherman

In this place there is no law
The river makes all the rules
What they are, I found out
When I came to look for you

Why did you bring me here?
My love has turned to fear
Let me feel you near

Well you laughed in the city
But I knew after a year
That you'd cry in the city
I should not have brought you here
So far from the bayou
Down in the low, low land
Don't know why you left me
But now I think I understand

I love this song and the everglades are found in the Southern States. I may know which book Rory may be referring too as the song and story are very similar. I would like to know so maybe this question could be put forward to Donal Gallagher? Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Dec 2012, 21:42

SUBY1974 wrote:
loulamb wrote:Did anyone else think that on I Fall Apart, Rory was letting out all of his frustration with the break up of Taste but making the lyrics sound like a love song? Or do you think it really was a love song and the break up of Taste was shown in 'For the last time' ?

This is interesting Lou Lamb. For example when I heard "For The Last Time" from the lyrics it does seem that a woman may have let Rory down but it is in fact him saying that after Taste breakup he picked himself up and moved on. Lots of hidden meanings in his songs and I love interpretating them. I guess as an avid book reader I do the same with books. I just love this topic. Subrata. x

The two lines of thought are not mutually exclusive. He had to be pretty torn up by the end of Taste and all the double dealing going on without his knowledge or consent. I also believe he was likely in love with a woman, and badly hurt, blindsided by her when he was a young man, around the end of Taste or maybe the beginning of his solo career. No hard evidence of that, just little clues in reading his lyrics chronologically, his interview on the extra tracks on IT74, and quotes from the Muise book. Most of his own whimsically happy songs about women or being in love seem to have tapered down in his mid-twenties or so, and his later lyrics tended to be more about lost love, not letting others see the pain of loss, of loneliness and lost opportunities. Examples: Overnight Bag, Wheels Within Wheels, Calling Card, Used to Be, Feel So Bad, lots of others. Even in the nineties, when he started doing Could've Had Religion again, the anger and pain directed at some nameless, faceless woman from his past give him away. IMHO

But back to For The Last Time- Why could he not have meant both?
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Dec 2012, 22:53

I agree Roberta. Rory could have double meanings for songs. A painter doesn't just use one style they can mix styles. Songs are basically poetry and could have infintie meaning. I think you maybe right Rory was a young man and it does seem from his songs around this time he could have been intensely in love with someone. I Fall Apart is as intense as it gets. I remember when I was intensely in love when I was in my twenties and young love is natural. X
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Dec 2012, 23:09

I would love to discuss songs which shows Rory was a silent rebel in his time. I love Nirvana music for that reason as I grew up with their music. I am very much rebel type myself though its hard to believe! Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby loulamb » 28 Dec 2012, 01:37

SUBY1974 wrote:I would love to discuss songs which shows Rory was a silent rebel in his time. I love Nirvana music for that reason as I grew up with their music. I am very much rebel type myself though its hard to believe! Subrata.x

I also like this topic in songs!

Blister on the Moon and Born on the Wrong Side of Time as well as MANY of Rory's have this thread running through them. Thought these early ones may have related to his experiences in education and the Brothers particularly Blister on the Moon (cane to the backside?maybe!?); I had my own experiences in being educated in a power crazed school so I related to them in that way, BotM sounds almost like early punk! ;

Everyone is saying what to do and what to think,
And when to ask permission when you feel you want to blink.
First look left and then look right and now look straight ahead,
Make sure and take a warning of every word we've said.

Now you lay you down to sleep make sure and get some rest,
Tomorrow is another day and you must pass the test.
Don't try and think too different now what we say is best,
Listen little man you're no better than the rest.

Don't lay beside the wayside all around the road we've set,
Smile and look happy fool or we'll throw you in the wet.

Now if you learn your lesson well and step upon the line,
Save your breath until forever we should get along just fine.
We'll bend your heart until it breaks make sure you feel no pain,
We'll be the one to crush you and give you to the rain.

But now you want to run away oh can I see you run,
Run across the frozen air try resting on the sun.
And if you feel it burn you don't yell out in pain,
Or wish you had a velvet sponge full of soothing rain.

So let's have that stiff upper lip now take a long deep breath,
Close your ears you cannot hear the rules are all pre-set.
You thought we were illusions but we meant the word we said,
We're in command, you tiny fly, we'll crush you till you're dead
loulamb

Postby SUBY1974 » 29 Dec 2012, 20:41

loulamb wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:I would love to discuss songs which shows Rory was a silent rebel in his time. I love Nirvana music for that reason as I grew up with their music. I am very much rebel type myself though its hard to believe! Subrata.x

Blister on the Moon and Born on the Wrong Side of Time as well as MANY of Rory's have this thread running through them. Thought these early ones may have related to his experiences in education and the Brothers particularly Blister on the Moon (cane to the backside?maybe!?); I had my own experiences in being educated in a power crazed school so I related to them in that way, BotM sounds almost like early punk! ;

Everyone is saying what to do and what to think,
And when to ask permission when you feel you want to blink.
First look left and then look right and now look straight ahead,
Make sure and take a warning of every word we've said.

Now you lay you down to sleep make sure and get some rest,
Tomorrow is another day and you must pass the test.
Don't try and think too different now what we say is best,
Listen little man you're no better than the rest.

Don't lay beside the wayside all around the road we've set,
Smile and look happy fool or we'll throw you in the wet.

Now if you learn your lesson well and step upon the line,
Save your breath until forever we should get along just fine.
We'll bend your heart until it breaks make sure you feel no pain,
We'll be the one to crush you and give you to the rain.

But now you want to run away oh can I see you run,
Run across the frozen air try resting on the sun.
And if you feel it burn you don't yell out in pain,
Or wish you had a velvet sponge full of soothing rain.

So let's have that stiff upper lip now take a long deep breath,
Close your ears you cannot hear the rules are all pre-set.
You thought we were illusions but we meant the word we said,
We're in command, you tiny fly, we'll crush you till you're dead

You can really feel the emotions of his lyrics here! Do as you are told, conform or else. I was brought up in two different cultures and did I have an identity crisis in my early year - absolutely. I did try to follow "rules" and still remember school reports saying I was a "daydreamer" "very imaginative" etc. Well I am a creative artist! Kids can be cruel. I believe that could have been the same at Rory's school? I remember in 1982 in class I wrote a fantastic piece on my best friend at the time and Mrs Bailey read it out and I got a gold star. At breaktime none of the kids in my class would speak to me because of it!
I think I was more of a silent rebel but my schooldays was nothing compared to Rorys. Just reading the lines of his songs says it all. I never got caned.
I do feel empathy with Rory here where when you are a kid you must conform. Today I am who I am. People can take it or leave it. Good for Rory for always being true to himself. Something I learnt from him. Subrata. x

Wanting to be ourselves in this world certainly affected my cousin Anjan and me while growing up. Hence my cousin wrote his poem Freedom and performed it at the Aftershock 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvjlZT3Sy8
SUBY1974

Postby loulamb » 30 Dec 2012, 01:29

You can really feel the emotions of his lyrics here! Do as you are told, conform or else. I was brought up in two different cultures and did I have an identity crisis in my early year - absolutely. I did try to follow "rules" and still remember school reports saying I was a "daydreamer" "very imaginative" etc. Well I am a creative artist! Kids can be cruel. I believe that could have been the same at Rory's school? I remember in 1982 in class I wrote a fantastic piece on my best friend at the time and Mrs Bailey read it out and I got a gold star. At breaktime none of the kids in my class would speak to me because of it!
I think I was more of a silent rebel but my schooldays was nothing compared to Rorys. Just reading the lines of his songs says it all. I never got caned.
I do feel empathy with Rory here where when you are a kid you must conform. Today I am who I am. People can take it or leave it. Good for Rory for always being true to himself. Something I learnt from him. Subrata. x

Wanting to be ourselves in this world certainly affected my cousin Anjan and me while growing up. Hence my cousin wrote his poem Freedom and performed it at the Aftershock 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvjlZT3Sy8

If you had a pain wouldnt 'velvet sponge full of soothing rain' be the best pain reliever? lucky they had abandoned corporal punishment when I was at school also but not for my parents I think it was a whole other story in corporal punishment terms in some institutions especially in SOME of those run by the Brothers where that incident happened, but I am only speculating about the song meaning.

Great poem attached! Peckham high street- I used to live near there! Which kind of music is that accompanying the poem?

Yes they say be yourself and those that like you will like you and those that don't you don't need them its very true!
A bit like 'Save your breath until forever we should get along just fine.'
loulamb

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Dec 2012, 14:44

loulamb wrote:

I always saw Blister on the Moon as basically a song about teenage angst. Especially in the '60s, it was a crazy time, and in addition to all the usual teenage self-doubt and insecurities typical of that age, there were a lot of social and political divides going on culturally both here and in Europe. Rory was young when he wrote that, and he was probably as caught up in the mood of the kids of the day as everyone else. A young man back then who wore long hair, well that was really a rebellious thing to do- I don't know how it was in Ireland or the rest of Europe then, but young men with long hair on this side of the globe were really taking quite a stand- It's hard to imagine how oddly threatened the mainstream was by such a show of rebellion- I mean, guys got beaten up, thrown out of school, ostracized for having long hair or dressing different from the mainstream. Those lyrics reflect that. Plus there were insane things going on in the world around us.

I'm sure that horrible experience of being abused by his teachers certainly influence the lyrics as well. It's hard to believe that someone who is supposed to teach and inspire the young would stoop to physically abusing a child for something so trivial as expressing himself musically, or for being in a working band. I would hope that such behavior would earn an abusive adult a little reflective time in a county jail to reconsider their priorities.

I'm about to collide with the age of 60, so I'm old enough to remember some of the unique fears and tensions of the day- things like being acutely aware that there were armed nuclear weapons pointed everywhere and the idea that they could go off with practically no warning was something that was always in the back of everyone's minds. Many of the kids of that era were growing up in homes that were impacted by the after-affects of WW2- parents and aunts and uncles who fought in the war or were otherwise impacted by it- those things shaped the arts that emerged in the 60's and early 70's.

Rory was one of the artists that came of age when all that exciting and dangerous stuff was happening in the world, and those songs are almost a time capsule of those days.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome