Taste doing Spoonful

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Taste doing Spoonful

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Nov 2012, 12:19

Had insomnia last night so was perusing the net and came across this-

It's not the best quality of recording, but you can clearly hear Rory's singing and playing and it's an old recording. It's not surprising that Rory did a version of Spoonful (with a splash of Fever thrown in) but it sounds strikingly similar to Cream (I mean to say Clapton's) interpretation of Spoonful, but it sounds like this was recorded earlier than Cream's. Anyone else ever heard this version or know anything about it? The year it was recorded? And does it predate Cream's interpretation?

Regardless, Rory must have been pretty young when he did this. He was pure genius.
RobertaSparrow

Re: Taste doing Spoonful

Postby JimLED » 28 Nov 2012, 18:31

Thanks for sharing, Roberta!
But time to time while listening this clip I doubt that I hear voice of Rory.. Must be speed of the track is a bit low.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Nov 2012, 19:53

JimLED wrote:Thanks for sharing, Roberta!
But time to time while listening this clip I doubt that I hear voice of Rory.. Must be speed of the track is a bit low.

I start work shortly, but when I have time I'll listen again. It does sound like the playback is a tad slow. And the quality sounds like it was recorded with the mic in a tin box submerged at the bottom of an aquarium, and there's way too much distortion, but with a headset on and the volume cranked it sounds like Rory's voice. I concede it's such a poor quality recording it could be a hoax. But there are lots of people who peruse this site and heard him way back then. I heard Taste's stuff when I was in high school (1967-1971) on recordings and FM radio on some Los Angeles radio stations (these weren't "top 40" or pop stations, but programs that were airing the ahead-of-it's time stuff like Hendrix and Monterey Festival, etc) back then, but I didn't know who they were or who Rory was until years later when I saw him play live and bought his solo albums. Specifically I remember hearing some of their stuff like Morning Sun, and I know I heard an early recording of them doing I'm Moving On/Baby Please Don't Go but thinking at the time that it was Cream, their styles seemed quite similar. So to me it seems possible, but there are people nearer where you are who heard Taste in the flesh back then. But a recording of such poor quality would never be played over the air even back then. Anyway, I'll listen again more carefully when I have time and the house is quieter... :?
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 28 Nov 2012, 21:12

Well said, Roberta!

what the name or year of the gig?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Nov 2012, 06:14

Well, the person who posted it IDs it as The Marquee, London, circa 1967. Within the first 8 seconds or so of the first sample there is some speaking, and sounds like his voice, but I can't make out what he's saying. If that time frame is accurate, and it is Taste, then it would have been the first incarnation of the band, with Eric Kitteringham and Norman Damery.
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome